Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Greeting,

I am attempting to get Yosemite to run on my old Mac Pro 1,1. I've already upgraded the video card to an ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB Video Card and have a copy of 10.10.5 on an external firewire drive installed using the reinstall option from the recovery drive on a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro booted successfully from this installation. After using the Pike's boot.efi and the script installer and I get the screen below. After much fiddling around I have not gotten much further. P

Is this an issue with having installed 10.10.5 from a MacBook Pro or are there other things I need to be trying.

Thanks in advance
Good news is that you have the easiest Mac BY FAR to get Later OSs on.

As I recently posted in the Mac Pro section, you really just need to run the pikeryosefix app from sheep666. Run it while on supported Mac and reboot once or twice until 64bit Mac won't boot to it. This is when you move drive over to 1,1 and should be good to go.

pford

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2015
Good news is that you have the easiest Mac BY FAR to get Later OSs on.

As I recently posted in the Mac Pro section, you really just need to run the pikeryosefix app from sheep666. Run it while on supported Mac and reboot once or twice until 64bit Mac won't boot to it. This is when you move drive over to 1,1 and should be good to go.

Thanks.

Evidently the trick was to run pikeryosefix app from the supported Mac and not under 10.7.5.

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Hi. This is my first post here. I've posted it on Facebook already on OS X Hackers page, but since the original post is here, just thought it would be ok to share this info here.

I'm not pretending to be a Professor OS X Hacker, but I've made some progress today in installing and successfully updating a very old Macbook Air Original, and I would like to share this info with you.

If you already got installed the desired OS X on your unsupported Mac, and have it running just jump straight to the p.7

1. Before proceed, I've created a common boot USB from latest and official Yosemite available on my newer Macbook. Or just use some 10.10.4 available to download from anywhere else or even directly from the App Store itself.
This is to have a bootable non-altered Mac Utilites when booting from this USB. Also, it helps to avoid booting in Single mode and still to be able
access installation disk and make modifications on it.

2. After revealing all hidden files on the created bootable USB with DisAppear.app, I've modified these two values in /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist:
SupportedBoardIds and SupportedModelProperties by adding my unsupported Mac's Board Id and Model.
It's possible to do either with IORegistryExplorer.app or running these commands from Terminal:
To get Board ID: ioreg -l | grep board-id; To get Model: ioreg -l | grep product-name

2a. Alternatively, you could use any other Linux computer/installation to mount this bootable USB in RW mode and edit it from there (if you want to).

3. To proceed with the OS X install, follow the installation guide from here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-yosemite-on-unsupported-macs-guide.1761432/

4. After finishing the install, newly installed system didn't booted at once (in my case). So, I used my "official" bootable USB to get to the
Terminal Utility and removing the PlatformSupport.plist (without sudo): rm /Volumes/[Main Drive Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

5. Before reboot, I ran Drive Repair and Permission Repair from the Disk Utility on the same USB. The system rebooted, and I was able to access my new installation. Allow some time, at this point the system might be really slow.

6. To improve things, I've performed all this magic to fix graphic issues with Kexts for my Graphic Card, also I've disabled animation, font aliasing, transparency, magnification, and recent items history. Reboot the system.

Update process:

7. Once system is booted and working well (except Maps, and some other known issues), I've ran the OS X Update Combined 10.10.5 from AppStore.
After the update is finished, the system stopped to boot again. So, I've rebooted it from the "official" USB and performed the same operations as after the install.

8. First, I've removed the PlatformSupport.plist using the Terminal from Utilities Menu (no sudo, just simple 'rm') - see p. 4.

9. Then, I've ran the Disk Repair and Permission Repair once again - see p.5

10. Shut down the system, remove any connected USB, power the system back on - and voilà. It booted into 10.10.5.

11. One strange thing happened to me after I've made backup with Time Machine, the system fell asleep, although NoSleep was active.
After I was unable to wake it up, it stopped to boot again, and I had to fix permissions from my bootable USB once more.
After fixing permissions, and booting up the system, I lost the sound. I think, there was some process applied by the new update that screwed the whole thing up.

12. Since the sound was gone, I had to re-deploy the AppleHDA.kext using KextUtility.app (see the Official Guide, part E). And it fixed the issue.

13. I've proceeded with the rest of Updates, updating Recovery, RAW Camera Compatibility, iTunes etc.

14. After reboot, all worked fine and now I have the oldest in the history of Human kind Macbook Air Original, with the latest OS X from Apple creators:)

View attachment 577104

15. Some problems you'd have:
a) Video reproduction that requires Video Acceleration is unavailable. That's what causes iTunes crash when trying play HD videos. Youtube and Vimeo work fine, of course.
b) Sometimes the Kernel is panicking, and machine reboots at startup. Doesn't happen very frequently.
c) Maps are not displaying.

Pros: After the Update I have three different Video resolutions available. Thing I didn't had with the original install. Of course, the lowest ones are a bit blurry, but performance is much better. I'm kind of got used to it.

View attachment 577105

Thank you for your time.

How's the performance compared to LION ???

Bizuel

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
Hi, how are you,
I am new to this I have a macbook 2.1 with GMA950 , I managed to install Yosimite 10.10 SFOTT method ,
now my problem is obviously the graphics and sound because everything else is working properly, it had tried meted
the ML Macpostfactor but never worked for me what was FaceTime , well my question is this where I can get to the corresponding Kext
the GMA950 and sound to work decently in Yosimite ? and please forgive my English because I am from Chile and tube to occupy the google translator to post in this forum .
;)

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
You will never get the graphics fully working, but I'm pretty sure the 10.6.4 64 bit kexts are linked in this thread somewhere.

Or maybe on that guys Johnson Network.

Reactions: Bizuel

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
10.6.2 64bit GMA kexts are widely available (a Google search suffices) but they won't give you graphics acceleration in Yosemite. You'll only get partial frame buffer support which pretty much limits you to screen resolution support. That's it. System performance will be rather poor, some apps won't work (Maps, DVD Player, ...) and, if you put your MacBook to sleep, you'll only wake system to a dark screen which will force you to do a hard reboot.

I'd avise you to stick to Lion 10.7.5 or ML 10.8.5 with MLPF or MPF.

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
OSXE 1.3B6 w/ Updated Guides will be delayed. Our developers are balancing other projects, College, and work right now.
Support emails may be delayed as well to up to 4 days.

Sorry

joshrock11

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
I tried to install Yosemite on a MacBook 2,1 and got stuck just trying to boot the install USB. I went and used the "bless" command from Terminal on my MAV OS and it still does not boot. Even worse, after rebooting my keyboard and trackpad are not working.

joshrock11

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
I tried to install Yosemite on a MacBook 2,1 and got stuck just trying to boot the install USB. I went and used the "bless" command from Terminal on my MAV OS and it still does not boot. Even worse, after rebooting my keyboard and trackpad are not working.

I resolved my keyboard/trackpad issue with a simple PRAM reset and switched to MacPostFactor and then had 10.10 working. I updated to 10.10.5 and deleted /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist but it still just boots me to my old MAV OS even though I selected Yosemite as my startup and tried option start even.

MacNavy

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Milan
Hi to all.

Successfully installed 10.10.5 on iMac 5,1 with 3Gb of RAM, the only issue are:

1. System see the gpu x1600 equipped with only 5MB of RAM? The result is a slow navigation and some visualization problem with system windows and apps.

2. No system SOUND!

All the rest works perfectly.

IF some can help, i am very gratefully.

I have use an external hdd, install 10.10.5 in the ext hdd from an iMac 10,1 after the installation, manipulate the system with the "TIAMO's Boot" and add my system to supported Mac (PlatformSupport.plist), connect the ext hdd to imac 5,1 and boot from ext hdd, download CCC and clone the ext hdd on internal SSD into iMac 4,1, boot from SSD iMac 4,1 and install PikeYoseFIX, finish, system work.

Attachments

• Schermata 2015-09-04 alle 10.26.24.png
    Schermata 2015-09-04 alle 10.26.24.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 437

tidal

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
macbookpro2-2-yosemite.jpg
SUCCESS!!!

I tried OS X Extractor Public Beta 2 again and actually followed the steps in post 1 (I thought it would do everything for me like MCPF). The only step I found missing was adding the board-id to OSInstall.mpkg. There are 3 places to change this.

Still working through the slow graphics, haven't decided to disable graphic acceleration yet.

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
[...]
Still working through the slow graphics, haven't decided to disable graphic acceleration yet.
Well... it's not enabled (you don't have graphics acceleration on that X1600 GPU) so it's not something you could possibly disable as such. Unless you meant disabling acceleration in apps such as Chrome of course.

tidal

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
Well... it's not enabled (you don't have graphics acceleration on that X1600 GPU) so it's not something you could possibly disable as such. Unless you meant disabling acceleration in apps such as Chrome of course.
I meant the animation disable script :)

JTCGiants56

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Sorry if this has been answered before.

Currently I am on 10.8.4 on an early 2008 macbook.

If I want to go the MLPostfactor method while installing directly from my computer, I will first download the latest yosemite.app file (10.5.5), put it in my applications folder, select the "on this computer" option in MCPF, choose my main partition and follow the remaining steps.

Question - Will this do a total "clean install" of my system. Or is it possible to do an "upgrade install" from my current OS (10.8.4) Version to yosemite (10.10.5)?

Question 2 - After I install yosemite, is there any specific patches I should install that will improve performance on my particular model (early 2008 macbook).

Question 3 - Will I be able to go to the appstore and install future updates? (For example, if 10.10.6 is released tomorrow)

Thanks!

Last edited:

seijinshu

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Can I do this without wiping anything? I got a lot of licenses on a used macbook 4,1 for 100 dollars.

chrisswain

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
I Have Installed on my Mac Pro 1,1 16Gig Ram and a windows ATI HD6450 & original Nvidia 7300 and a WD Black 1 TB and Seagate 8TB Archive drive Using both macpostfactor and SFOTT

I had a base install of Lion 10.7.5 to start with , this was upgraded from a CD Install of Snow leopard

mavericks , Yosemite and El Capitan Beta, for El Capitan on Both versions I renamed the .app to Yosemite and Then copied Pikers El Capitan boot.efi to the two locations and locked the files

I have found that for SFOTT worked best on Mavericks with no hassles and was a pig with the later OS
With Macpostfactor it worked well as Install to Drive for all OS except Mountian Lion which i have had no sucess in installing via either method but Macpostfactor DID NOT Like creating a Boot USB for Yosemite .

There is a possibility my copy of Mountain lion.app is corrupt. I am working on creating a Bootable drive for mac pro 1,1 with ALL OSX and OS9 as well as Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Windows 7 , 8 ,8.1 & 10 pro over the next few weeks If anyone has Intel copies of pre Snow Leopard to assist with test build I would love to here

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Hello, I have a 4,2 MacBook I want to install ML on for compatibility reasons (hopefully will run fine). I only have the ML install in a DMG format and burned to a bootable flash drive. I don't have the .app and I don't know how to make one out of the DMG, if it's even possible. Any way to use MacPostFactor to install from a bootable USB? Thanks. I'd rather not try the first complicated Terminal method.

chrisswain

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Hello, I have a 4,2 MacBook I want to install ML on for compatibility reasons (hopefully will run fine). I only have the ML install in a DMG format and burned to a bootable flash drive. I don't have the .app and I don't know how to make one out of the DMG, if it's even possible. Any way to use MacPostFactor to install from a bootable USB? Thanks. I'd rather not try the first complicated Terminal method.

Hi Garry I can send you a USB drive if your in the UK

chrisswain

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
you cant make a .app from dmg, if you had this from appstore you can go back and redownload it

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
A small bug in the Software Update Patch has been discovered. While the Installer successfully adds the Launchd Daemons needed for successful updates, install and restart OS X 10.10.5 from the Mac App Store doesn't actually finish showing a momentary white screen. Rest assured that your Mac will eventually boot after a minute of two. Check the 'About this Mac' which shows the correct version meaning full correct firmware update and completing as well.
The OS X Hackers (1.2) App is linked to an old invalid URL address. Many users will not see the guide. As we finish up with the new responsive version of the OS X Hackers App, we encourage everyone to use post 1 instead and just close the app as it pops up.
OS X Extractor 1.3.1 will address these issues and an issue that causes some Macs to not finish installation due to certain Network Configurations.
Post 1 will be updated around Friday or Saturday with changes made with OS X Extractor 1.3 including Release Notes.

zedenterprizes

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
We will look into this issue. Can you PM me your email for in depth communication on this situation?

Hi! I'm getting the same "You're not running this app in the proper environment" error. Can you help me resolve it? iMac 5,1 going from 10.7.5->Yosemite

Thanks!

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
MacPostFactor 2.0 with El Capitan support and a fix for Error Code 3 situation is coming soon. No ETA is available right now.
I apologize for delaying OS X Extractor 1.31 update and 1.2 Delta Update. I understand people are still have issue installing OS X Extractor due to Network Configurations. We should be finished with this update within the week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.