Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
What Apple did in 2012 was downright highway robbery. I paid $1800 for my Macbook 4,1 in October of 2008, only to find out in early 2012, that APple had deemed a 3 and a bit year old computer obsolete. We're not talking cheap products here, I had to really really stretch to get my Macbook. Apple dropped it faster than a sac of potatoes and intended or not, it was a stunning example of apple prematurely obsoleting products. Apple is a rich rich rich company so it would not have killed them to be environmentally friendly and customer friendly to have supported these machines a bit longer. I applaud them for things like supporting the iPad 2 and 4S in iOS 9 and also for the long support given to certain 2007 and 2008 Macs, but that does not excuse them for everything.

Kudos does go to Microsoft who have barely changed the system requirements since Vista? in 2006 - you need 1 GB instead of 512MB but thats easily rectifiable, and the clock speed requirement has only risen 200MHZ. My 2008 Macbook white runs Windows 10 better than it runs OSX Lion, despite Windows 10 being current and Lion being released only 3 years after my laptop came out. Ironic when Microsoft gives better support for Macs than Apple can.
I must agree that in this case you are in part right, but I do not believe you are considering all the factors in your judgment.
Apple should have searched for a way to overcome the 32 bit boot matter, the reason why your MB (which I also have) stopped with OSX 10.7 and could not be updated over Lion.
However, although I cannot prove it, I believe that it was not to make on purpose 32 bit booting Macs obsolete in order to force the owners to buy new computers.
They did not took that matter as seriously as they should have done it.
:rolleyes:
However, as you probably know from other threads in this forum, a group of developers to be found not only in those threads in this forum, but directly in the web under OSX Hackers.net, have created 2 tools allowing so called "unsupported" Macs as your MB 4.1 to be updated to newer versions of OSX.
One is called "Extractor" which I tried but did not work for me.
The other tool (much easier to use since almost automatic working) called "MacPostFactor" (MCPF) should be (hopefully) soon released in version 2.
With the version 1.0.1 of MCPF I managed in my MB 4.1 to upgrade up to Mavericks and not further.
Maybe the second issue of that tool might allow to go even to newer OSX, who knows?
:rolleyes:
As to Windows 10, it works also in my MB 4.1, installed using BootCamp.
But I cannot say that Lion doesn't work fine as well.
:)
The fact that Microsoft still requests on its side not much more of resources to install newer Windows versions is only half of the entire truth. :confused:

Read this true story to understand why I say so.

I bought at about the same period in which you bought your MB 4.1, a rather expensive Acer 17" Windows notebook for my son.
I could presently install newer Windows issues than the "XP" or the "Vista" with which it was sold new. Microsoft would let me do so :rolleyes:
However...the components have no newer drivers for its most important built-in parts, for instance the web cam or the wi fi card, than those for XP ot Vista. :mad:

Therefore that Acer notebook is presently much more "obsolete" than my MacBook 4.1. :eek:

As you found out by yourself Apple delivers through BootCamp working drivers for your MB4.1 allowing to use it with present Windows, although Apple makes no benefit whatsoever for that.:)
Since neither Microsoft nor Acer would earn any money by making the needed drivers for older Windows computers in order to make them fit for newer Windows, those drivers will never exist!
:(
So I am myself neither so willing to give Microsoft kudos as you are...o_O nor to declare Apple as guilty of willing to create planned obsolence.
Ed

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Apple should have searched for a way to overcome the 32 bit boot matter, the reason why your MB (which I also have) stopped with OSX 10.7 and could not be updated over Lion.

I really really really doubt this would have been hard for Apple. Merely a matter of writing 64 bit drivers for the GMA x3100 in this case, as far as I understand.

However, as you probably know from other threads in this forum, a group of developers to be found not only in those threads in this forum, but directly in the web under OSX Hackers.net, have created 2 tools allowing so called "unsupported" Macs as your MB 4.1 to be updated to newer versions of OSX.
One is called "Extractor" which I tried but did not work for me.
The other tool (much easier to use since almost automatic working) called "MacPostFactor" (MCPF) should be (hopefully) soon released in version 2.
With the version 1.0.1 of MCPF I managed in my MB 4.1 to upgrade up to Mavericks and not further.
Maybe the second issue of that tool might allow to go even to newer OSX, who knows?

However, this requires a lot of work and frankly, besides getting 10.8.0 working once, i've been unable to get anything else working. As far as I understand there is no graphics acceleration for my machine past 10.8 anyway so whats the point.

I bought at about the same period in which you bought your MB 4.1, a rather expensive Acer 17" Windows notebook for my son.
I could presently install newer Windows issues than the "XP" or the "Vista" with which it was sold new. Microsoft would let me do so :rolleyes:
However...the components have no newer drivers for its most important built-in parts, for instance the web cam or the wi fi card, than those for XP ot Vista. :mad:

Therefore that Acer notebook is presently much more "obsolete" than my MacBook 4.1. :eek:

Your acer laptop is in the exact same position as the Macbook anyway, but I can guarantee you that you could upgrade it to Windows 10, using older drivers. My family bought a Compaq Presario for $350 at the same time the $1800 Macbook was released and It runs Windows 10 quite well. Just used the Windows 7 drivers and it was fine, Windows 10 had built in drivers anyway. A much easier and better install than trying to get a new version of OSX working on it. The Macbook is far more obsolete as running Mavericks (the oldest secure version of OSX) or above requires some serious hacking and workarounds to get it to work. Its fairly easy to install a Secure version of Windows (one that is receiving security patches and the latest browsers) on a PC from this era.

As you found out by yourself Apple delivers through BootCamp working drivers for your MB4.1 allowing to use it with present Windows, although Apple makes no benefit whatsoever for that.:)

Except that they don't.. Support stopped years ago, the drivers are for Windows 7, however again luckily I was able to install Windows 10 using Windows 7 drivers. Apple makes very little effort to provide bootcamp drivers for older machines.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I really really really doubt this would have been hard for Apple. Merely a matter of writing 64 bit drivers for the GMA x3100 in this case, as far as I understand.

However, this requires a lot of work and frankly, besides getting 10.8.0 working once, i've been unable to get anything else working. As far as I understand there is no graphics acceleration for my machine past 10.8 anyway so whats the point.

Your acer laptop is in the exact same position as the Macbook anyway, but I can guarantee you that you could upgrade it to Windows 10, using older drivers. My family bought a Compaq Presario for $350 at the same time the $1800 Macbook was released and It runs Windows 10 quite well. Just used the Windows 7 drivers and it was fine, Windows 10 had built in drivers anyway. A much easier and better install than trying to get a new version of OSX working on it. The Macbook is far more obsolete as running Mavericks (the oldest secure version of OSX) or above requires some serious hacking and workarounds to get it to work. Its fairly easy to install a Secure version of Windows (one that is receiving security patches and the latest browsers) on a PC from this era.

Except that they don't.. Support stopped years ago, the drivers are for Windows 7, however again luckily I was able to install Windows 10 using Windows 7 drivers. Apple makes very little effort to provide bootcamp drivers for older machines.
You did not read what I wrote or, much worse, you don't want to understand it. :mad:
If there were Drivers for Windows 7 for the components of my old 17" Acer Notebook which might allow to install Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, do you believe me so stupid not to have succeeded to find them? :rolleyes:
Who would willingly remain with Windows XP or Vista today end 2015 if he could install a newer Windows?:(
The truth is however that neither Microsoft nor Acer nor the Holy Spirit ever made such drivers and will never make them since no financial benefit will come from such an effort :mad:

And regarding to use MCPF, it is as easy as one can imagine.
A child will manage to use it.:D
I have the same MB 4.1 you have and besides Mountain Lion, I installed in it Mavericks. Even without Graphic Acceleration the looks is quite good and the MacBook can been used with Mavericks without hesitation.
Some people even succeeded to run Yosemite in such old MacBooks and with the coming MCPF 2.0 it might be possible even El Capitan.:D

As to the drivers that Apple made for BootCamp it doesn't change if they were made for Windows 7, for Windows 8, for 8.1 or whatever! :confused:
Apple made them absolutely free of charge and they deserve we should be thankful for that. Apple has its own OS and was not bound to support Windows with any kind of effort... but they did it. ;)

If one wants to see everything through distorting spectacles :cool: no argument will make any change.
You are free to continue to see things as you do.
It is IMHO unfair but who said that everyone must think in a fair way? :rolleyes:

As to the readers of this post, I am confident they will have a fair and realistic view, what unfortunately you do not seem capable to reach.
Pity.
More argument is, as I see, a waste of time and I have better things to do.
o_O

Last edited:

RobertJB

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
Netherlands
Thanks for the file sound does work now :).

I do have a other issue and i'm not sure this is somthing some one has seen before.

I have a mac mini in the living room acting as media server.
This mac mini does not has a screen as only a beamer.

With the iMac 5.1 I can do "share screen" but when I want to connect to the disk drive it does not allow it.
When I boot this iMac 5.1 in 10.7.5. that is also on the hard disk it does allow connection to the shared drives of the mac mini :confused:.

surfing the internet with safari is also not a problem.

Has one of you an idea what could be the solution?

thanks,

Does any one has an idea about this:(

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

Last Update: November 18, 2015 by TMRJIJ - OSXE1.31
Last Update: October 25, 2015 by TMRJIJ - Rewrites for OSXE1.3

Last Update: August 8, 2015 by TMRJIJ - OSXE1.3PB2 Released / Slight link

OS X Yosemite on Unsupported Macs

This first post is usually updated with recent summarized information, updates, and more solutions.

Guide to Installing OS X Yosemite on Unsupported Macs
Method 2 - MacPostFactor

December 22, 2015

Hello TMRJIJ

A couple of weeks ago you believed and wrote that MLPF 2.0 will be ready "before Xmas" since the very last tests were then being performed. :D
Now we are already before Xmas. :rolleyes:

@MLforAll doesn't give any sign of activity. :(
You, according to your latest post, have serious personal sorrows. :oops:

Is it therefore possible to know if MLPF 1.0.1 must be considered the final one...or can we expect a newer version/tool and, if that is the case, when?? :rolleyes:

Thank you very much in advance for making it clear. o_O
Ed

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
December 22, 2015

Hello TMRJIJ

A couple of weeks ago you believed and wrote that MLPF 2.0 will be ready "before Xmas" since the very last tests were then being performed. :D
Now we are already before Xmas. :rolleyes:

@MLforAll doesn't give any sign of activity. :(
You, according to your latest post, have serious personal sorrows. :oops:

Is it therefore possible to know if MLPF 1.0.1 must be considered the final one...or can we expect a newer version/tool and, if that is the case, when?? :rolleyes:

Thank you very much in advance for making it clear. o_O
Ed

I am developing a new tool in case MCPF 2.0 doesn't see any resolve.
I am working with new developers on OS X Patcher. If you recall in previous during OS X El Capitan Beta times, I designed OS X Extractor 1.3 with a new structure. All the smaller packages for Kexts, Software Update Patch, etc. are Flat distribution packages. The flat package uses a more compact format for its payloads which can be easily be put in OS X Installer. Basically my updates are somewhat future proof for this tool.
No ETA (most likely have public betas next week) but 50% of the scripts are already written and we're at the point where the Patcher is able to make a full fledged OS X Installer for Yosemite, and Mavericks. It gets caught in certain exceptions when during the Upgrade and Install method for certain Macs and can't determine Boot.fi's just yet.

I will notify if @MLforAll comes out of his contact cryosleep.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I am working with new developers on OS X Patcher. If you recall in previous during OS X El Capitan Beta times, I designed OS X Extractor 1.3 with a new structure. All the smaller packages for Kexts, Software Update Patch, etc. are Flat distribution packages. The flat package uses a more compact format for its payloads which can be easily be put in OS X Installer. Basically my updates are somewhat future proof for this tool.
No ETA (most likely have public betas next week) but 50% of the scripts are already written and we're at the point where the Patcher is able to make a full fledged OS X Installer for Yosemite, and Mavericks. It gets caught in certain exceptions when during the Upgrade and Install method for certain Macs and can't determine Boot.fi's just yet.

Thank you very much for the update. :):):):):):):):)
Anxiously waiting for the ready tool.
Have pleasant Xmas!
Ed

Zippy3505

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Indiana
I'm on a 2006 MacBook, running 10.7.5. How do I get a copy of anything above that? When I go to App Store, it won't let me, due to incompatibility of my system. Thanks.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I'm on a 2006 MacBook, running 10.7.5. How do I get a copy of anything above that? When I go to App Store, it won't let me, due to incompatibility of my system. Thanks.

Although the official line of "serious" users is to warn about torrent files, you will have to go that way unless you know some friend who can help you with a file of a newer OSX than your Lion. ;)
Then comes the way mentioned in this thread with the 2 already placed tools or to wait until the thread starter finishes his work with a newer and better tool
The tool called "Extractor" was too much for my old MacBook (or maybe for me!) :eek: but the other one called MacPostFactor 1.0.1 allowed me to install first Mountain Lion and then Mavericks.

If I were you and decide to try one of those tools, it would be very wise first to make a clone of your hard drive so that if your efforts do not bring the result expected at least the way back is still possible. :rolleyes:
In any case the lack of graphic support for newer OSX must be accepted.
Miracles should not be expected from old hardware.;)
Ed

Last edited:

GoldenPearMC

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2015
Australia

Hello. Is there any update on OpenGL support for Yosemite? Any ETA? A reply would be great fully appreciated. Thanks. <3

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015

Awesome!

Great work. Looking forward to it!

Thank you so much!

raserror645

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
So California
Hello,

I’ve been following this thread for a while and decided to give it a try on my MBP 2.1. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

First, does anyone know if MPTF affects or alter Voice Over? I am visually impaired and use VO to navigate around my Mac. To be sure, I will be installing it on an external drive until I know everything works before I move it to my internal drive.

Second, does anyone know if the download is unavailable? I’m trying to get the current version of MPTF but one of two things happen. I get either 404 Not Found or the page loads, I click agree and download. The ad pops up and a few seconds later, I get a message the download will begin. I click OK, get prompted to download a 98KB file, I click save but I never get the file. Is there a mirror site or someplace safe I can get it from?

Thanks for all your help and Kudos to the developers for helping me update my Mac.

Dave

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Hello,

I’ve been following this thread for a while and decided to give it a try on my MBP 2.1. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

First, does anyone know if MPTF affects or alter Voice Over? I am visually impaired and use VO to navigate around my Mac. To be sure, I will be installing it on an external drive until I know everything works before I move it to my internal drive.

Second, does anyone know if the download is unavailable? I’m trying to get the current version of MPTF but one of two things happen. I get either 404 Not Found or the page loads, I click agree and download. The ad pops up and a few seconds later, I get a message the download will begin. I click OK, get prompted to download a 98KB file, I click save but I never get the file. Is there a mirror site or someplace safe I can get it from?

Thanks for all your help and Kudos to the developers for helping me update my Mac.

Dave
There are no reports of MacPostFactor causing issues with VoiceOver.
Here is a direct download link:
http://dl.osxhackers.net/MacPostFactorDLs/MacPostFactor_1.0.1_Release.dmg

Jopdik

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
First of all, many thanks for this guide.
I was using a Macbook Air 1.1 for installation of Yosemite.
It had Leopard on it, en first thing I did was Install snow Leopard. After that I installed Lion and from then on I could use this guide.
All went well and I used the OS X Extractor Method. Though after all set and done and installing Yosemite the mac rebooted and I got a stop sign image.
This I solved by not deleting the
/Volumes/[Main Drive Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
I tried but it didnt work.
What I did was copying the
/Volumes/[Main Drive Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist from the install drive within the terminal to the destination drive on the same location.
After that (and reset the ram serveral times, the yosemite installion worked.
My goal is to upgrade to 10.10.6 and then try to install Xcode 7.
From there on I would like to deploy apps on my iphone.
Hope everything will work out, but I came far enough to be happy :)

raserror645

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
So California

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to download the file.

I will install it along with Yosemite and see how it goes. I don’t expect the graphical issues to bug me as I will not be able to see it anyways. LOL.

It’s all going into a MBP 2.1 with 6GB of RAM and 240GB SSD from OWC. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!!

Dave

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
An issue has been detected during the MLPF to MCPF migration in the latest version of Macpostfactor. People should avoid migrating from MLPF to MCPF with v1.0. MLforAll will push an update asap to fix this problem.
did you get it done?
there's some thing's we should do in this process to be sure that we can install it correctly,,support.plist should be modify,,you should ad your Mac ID and Model,,and some times, change the Boot.EFI from the original one,,,but it depends in what process you do your Usb Install,,

raserror645

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
So California
Hello,

I was finally able to install MPFT. Currently, I am on Maverick and still debating if Yosemite would be worth my while. A few observations and questions.

Observations.

I tried installing on an external USB drive but kept getting the error not enough disk space using different drives with at least 200GB free. I ended up partitioning my internal drive and installing it there.

The Voiceover support during the installation of MPFT and the OSX was great. There were only a couple of unlabeled buttons but with my 10 year old’s help, I completed the install.

According to my 10 year old, the graphics aren’t bad. Considering he is used to the graphics on the PS4, I take this as a good thing.

Questions.

Will I be able to update the OSX using the software feature update? Or do I update it a different way? Or am I stuck on 10.9?

I am still trying to go through the entire thread and my screen reader takes about 30 to 45 minutes to read each page.

Thanks for all your help.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hello,

I was finally able to install MPFT. Currently, I am on Maverick and still debating if Yosemite would be worth my while. A few observations and questions.

Observations.

I tried installing on an external USB drive but kept getting the error not enough disk space using different drives with at least 200GB free. I ended up partitioning my internal drive and installing it there.

The Voiceover support during the installation of MPFT and the OSX was great. There were only a couple of unlabeled buttons but with my 10 year old’s help, I completed the install.

According to my 10 year old, the graphics aren’t bad. Considering he is used to the graphics on the PS4, I take this as a good thing.

Questions.

Will I be able to update the OSX using the software feature update? Or do I update it a different way? Or am I stuck on 10.9?

I am still trying to go through the entire thread and my screen reader takes about 30 to 45 minutes to read each page.

Thanks for all your help.

SORRY FOR THIS UNINTENDED MERGED POST.
TO raserror645:

If you want that your posts should be both clear for any reader and useful for other users, you should specify the hardware concerned, either in the post itself or in your signature below your posts.
Any success to install a OSX in a computer unsupported by Apple, by using third part tools, greatly depends on the hardware involved AFAIK.
The same (by the way) applies to failures and bugs...
Consider it please in the future.
Thanks in advance!
Ed

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
SORRY FOR THIS UNINTENDED MERGED POST

TO TMRJIJ

DEAR TMRJIJ
I am still waiting for the answer to my repeated question: :rolleyes:

Did you manage to create any tool newer than MCPF that brings any advantage over MCPF when installing Mavericks or Yosemite? :confused:
(This question follows your latest report a certain time ago that you didn't succeed -at that time- with your new tool to find a way to install El Capitan).

So, for all those who will be already satisfied with 10.9 or 10.10 in an unsupported mac, your new tool would be very welcome and it would be nice if you make it available. ;)
Thank you in advance for your answer! :)
Ed

Last edited:

Halian

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Central Florida
OS X Software Updates
  • Go to Applications/OS X Hackers Patch Files/Software Update Patch/
  • Install the 'Software Update Patch' pkg
  • (EFI32 Mac only) Using Pike's Boot.efi, Install the EFI Daemon patch.

Forgive my noobishness, but what's the EFI Daemon patch and how do I install it? ._.

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
TO raserror645:

If you want that your posts should be both clear for any reader and useful for other users, you should specify the hardware concerned, either in the post itself or in your signature below your posts.
Any success to install a OSX in a computer unsupported by Apple, by using third part tools, greatly depends on the hardware involved AFAIK.
Thanks in advance!
Ed

*********************************************************************************************************************
SORRY FOR THIS UNINTENDED MERGED POST

TO TMRJIJ

DEAR TMRJIJ
I am still waiting for the answer to my repeated question: :rolleyes:

Did you manage to create any tool newer than MCPF that brings any advantage over MCPF when installing Mavericks or Yosemite? :confused:
(This question follows your latest report a certain time ago that you didn't succeed -at that time- with your new tool to find a way to install El Capitan).

So, for all those who will be already satisfied with 10.9 or 10.10 in an unsupported mac, your new tool would be very welcome and it would be nice if you make it available. ;)
Thank you in advance for your answer! :)
Ed

Here is what I have so far Beta 1 Build 29 (I know right. lots of builds for just one beta). This package is 50KB but keep in mind that like OS X Extractor, its main files/scripts are running from the OS X Hackers site so make sure you have an active internet connection (5 GB minimum of disk space free).
Make sure the OS X El Capitan or Yosemite installer is in your Applications Folder. Once it is done. You should see an output.pkg in '/Volumes/.' The package doesn't automatically finish making the patched Installer so run this on a external or different partition. Upgrading from the same partition will not work and just return you back to the current OS.

More Betas to come of course.

Attachments

• OS X Patcher.zip
    45.1 KB · Views: 298

raserror645

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
So California

TO raserror645:

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Hi,

Thanks for the input. For now, I’ll post my specs here but will add it to my sig in future posts.

I am using the latest MPFT with 10.9 on a Macbook Pro 2.1. 6GB of RAM with 240 GB SSD from OWC.

Is there a way to update from 10.9.1 to 10.9.5? Can I run software update or do I need to do something else?

Thanks again for all the help.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Here is what I have so far Beta 1 Build 29 (I know right. lots of builds for just one beta). This package is 50KB but keep in mind that like OS X Extractor, its main files/scripts are running from the OS X Hackers site so make sure you have an active internet connection (5 GB minimum of disk space free).
Make sure the OS X El Capitan or Yosemite installer is in your Applications Folder. Once it is done. You should see an output.pkg in '/Volumes/.' The package doesn't automatically finish making the patched Installer so run this on a external or different partition. Upgrading from the same partition will not work and just return you back to the current OS.

More Betas to come of course.
Thank you very much for your goodwill Isiah!:)
My experience with the Extractor was alas very frightening, so I will rather wait your next Beta or maybe a bit more.
The Extractor almost "killed" my MacBook 4.1. and I do not dare risk a similar situation.

I am very grateful to all what you do to help people you do not even met once in your life, and many, many others are as grateful to you as I am. :D

Thanks! Thanks! :)
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.