Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

minstercourt

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
This issue from MacPostFactor, right?
Hi, I have the same mac and if you download 10.10 version app and try that it should work, i had the same problem as you and somewhere on the thread suggested this to me and worked. after so many versions downloading and trying that is the only version worked.
once you successfully install, don't forget to patch the recovery etc steps which has been given in the first post because, i have done that mistake of not doing and now i have updated normally on App Store and cannot log back on to that drive and can't log on to recovery partition either. don't know if there is a way to patch the installation on that drive from a different partition, if not i have to reinstall the software I guess.
One thing to say to the people here, great support and great application, thank you, got life to my old mac.

RobertJB

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
Netherlands
The SMC version is listed as 1.8f2

Instructions for building a Yosemite install partition/drive are all over the place. A clear and concise version formulated by the poster Hennesie2000 can be found on the Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) Yosemite MacRumors forum: Hennesie2000's Guide for installing Yosemite on a Mac Pro 1,1 or 2,1 - the boot.efi method.

The additional kext needed are from and can be found in OS X 10.7.5 "Lion" as well as many numerous downloadable resources:

ATI1600Controller
ATIFramebuffer
ATIRadeonX1000
ATIRadeonX1000GA
ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver
ATIRadeonX1000VADriver
ATISupport

Also for working audio, there is a specific AppleHDA.kext to install as well. I believe it can be acquired by and is located in the "Yosemite patch" only download link provided by TMRJIJ on page "1" on this very same forum.

Once the Yosemite install finishes, boot the partition on a another previously installed Mac OS X Volume and use an app like "Kext Wizzard" to install the above listed kexts in your Yosemite System/Library/Extension folder. Once completed, go back into this same folder and delete both the AMDSupport & the AMDFramebuffer kext files. Before restarting, repair the permissions on the Yosemite partition. Also. set up a previously installed Mac OS X partition with automatic login in order to bypass the need for logging in with a password. Restart the Yosemite partition on your iMac and pay close attention to the installation proceedings. When prompted, select the transfer/migrate information from another Mac OS X disk option and transfer the System settings and account information from the drive that you had set up automatic login as explained in the above mentioned step.

Once the migration completes, the Yosemite partition will restart and then boot directly to the desktop. Once this occurs, open Terminal and apply the following command: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

Exit out of terminal and restart. Done.

I have a question about the above:
I have the installer as writen by Hennesie2000. It worked like a charm on my Mac Pro 2.1
I have added the board ID from my iMac 5.1 <MAC-F42786A9>
when I boot from the Yosemite installer I get the nice black boot.efi and then at the end I get the full schreen display in color stating:

OS X could not be installed on your computer

OS X Yosemite is already installed on this Mac
Quite the installer to restart your computer and try again

Does one of you have an idea about this?

thanks,

JustG83

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Hi!

Any help for gma x3100 driver for yosemite/el capitan?
I have tried with x64 drivers but got artifacts.
I used graphicsenabler=no boot flag too but nothing results.
Any idea?
Thx,

G

Attachments

• IMG_20151111_122044.jpg
    IMG_20151111_122044.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 376

RobertJB

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
Netherlands
View attachment 579568 SUCCESS!!!

I tried OS X Extractor Public Beta 2 again and actually followed the steps in post 1 (I thought it would do everything for me like MCPF). The only step I found missing was adding the board-id to OSInstall.mpkg. There are 3 places to change this.

Still working through the slow graphics, haven't decided to disable graphic acceleration yet.

Tidel,

can you point to the 3rd place to change the board ID!
I know of two but it could be the issue with me not beeing able to make it hapen on mine iMac 5.1

thanks,

Forget about it I checked the instruction again and found the 3rd one.
Still the same message "OS X could not be installed on your computer"

IMG_4306.JPG

Last edited:

RobertJB

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
Netherlands
Tidel,

can you point to the 3rd place to change the board ID!
I know of two but it could be the issue with me not beeing able to make it hapen on mine iMac 5.1

thanks,

Forget about it I checked the instruction again and found the 3rd one.
Still the same message "OS X could not be installed on your computer"

View attachment 599246

Installation is running.
followed the instruction again and now it seems to be ok.

RobertJB

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
Netherlands
All right I have nearly every thing sorted out.
One thing is missing and that is sound.
It is been pointed on more then one point that I need the special appleHDA.kext for this to work on my iMac 5.1

But for some reason I cannot find it :(.

Can one of you please drop me the file or a direct link to it :confused:.

thanks.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
All right I have nearly every thing sorted out.
One thing is missing and that is sound.
It is been pointed on more then one point that I need the special appleHDA.kext for this to work on my iMac 5.1

But for some reason I cannot find it :(.

Can one of you please drop me the file or a direct link to it :confused:.

thanks.

Attachments

• AppleHDA.kext.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 677

RobertJB

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
Netherlands

Thanks for the file sound does work now :).

I do have a other issue and i'm not sure this is somthing some one has seen before.

I have a mac mini in the living room acting as media server.
This mac mini does not has a screen as only a beamer.

With the iMac 5.1 I can do "share screen" but when I want to connect to the disk drive it does not allow it.
When I boot this iMac 5.1 in 10.7.5. that is also on the hard disk it does allow connection to the shared drives of the mac mini :confused:.

surfing the internet with safari is also not a problem.

Has one of you an idea what could be the solution?

thanks,

rdekruyf

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
The Netherlands
After create a bootable usb drive and install Yosemite the first boot give this error sign.
Install it on a MacBook 4,1. Anyone a idea what to do about it?

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 356

RobertJB

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
Netherlands
After create a bootable usb drive and install Yosemite the first boot give this error sign.
Install it on a MacBook 4,1. Anyone a idea what to do about it?

I have just done the installation on mine 5.1 machine.
If you did not upgrade the CPU on a 4.1 machine you still have the Core Duo CPU and for this to work you need the Core 2 Cuo CPU.

See #1 insturction it reads C2D cpu upgrade.

I hope this does help.

good luck.

rdekruyf

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
The Netherlands
I have just done the installation on mine 5.1 machine.
If you did not upgrade the CPU on a 4.1 machine you still have the Core Duo CPU and for this to work you need the Core 2 Cuo CPU.

See #1 insturction it reads C2D cpu upgrade.

I hope this does help.

good luck.
Its not a iMac its a MacBook and the CPU is not upgradable.
I see a lot of order users with a MacBook 4.1 Whoever it is successful.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Its not a iMac its a MacBook and the CPU is not upgradable.
I see a lot of order users with a MacBook 4.1 Whoever it is successful.

This might help:
D: If Reboot Fails

(If the Mac does not reboot to the Yosemite desktop boot to the install-drive again and perform the following.
Boot back into the Yosemite Install Partition
open the terminal at the top menu bar or boot into single user mode (Hold Command -S immediately afterturning on)
enter:
Code:
sudo rm /Volumes/[Main Drive Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

sabontrager

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
This might help:

I believe that I followed all the aforementioned steps. I was able to go through the installation process as described. It failed to reboot following the installation, so I removed the File as mentioned in the previous comment.

Now my issue is that after attempting to boot Yosemite, I get a Kernel Panic! MacBook Air A1237.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I may start from scratch and install Lion again, and try going through the whole process again to see if I can make some headway.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
A bug has been discovered in OS X Extractor 1.31 installer that results in installation hanging and refusal to end the background tasks for shut down or restart. This issue seems to affect only certain Macs that upgraded from version 1.3 but I am not sure.
A workaround would be to force turn off by holding down the power button. If your Mac refused to boot after this:
  1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Start or restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold Command-S on the keyboard.
  3. Right after the root# prompt, enter the following:
    Code:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
  4. Press the Return key.
  5. You’ll see the prompts in the picture above as each part of the hard drive’s directory is checked. (Checking extents overflow file, Checking catalog file, Checking multi-linked files, etc.) It will take a few minutes.
  6. Right after the root# prompt, enter the following:
Code:
Reboot
7. Press the Return key. Your Mac should restart normally.

We are currently investigating this issue. We are sorry if we caused any inconvenience.

Chancellor Merken

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2015
Hello all,
Thanks for the guides, really nice to not be locked out of mac updates. Im on a macbook 4.1 early 2008 running Yosemite. Sorry for the ignorance but has anyone got any software that you can watch videos in? As VLC and Mplayer doesn't show the video, sound working fine. Cheers

frank escobar

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2015
en español para quien le sirva excelente instale tarjetas con puertos usb 3 y los reconoció ademas instale una tarjeta gráfica nvidia quadro fx 4800 y funciona perfecto

GEMoore

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
Am trying to install Yosemite on a MBP 2,2.
Downloaded and installed OSX Extractor 1.31.
MPF download link is giving a 404 message.
Tried the manual installation in post #1, but my Install OSX Yosemite files do not include BaseSystem.dmg within the Shared Support folder/InstallESD.dmg contents.
Looked in the OSX Installer I downloaded for my Mac Pro 5,1, and in the one I made for my Mac Pro 1,1 (now running 10.10.5, thanks to contributors on this forum), and nowhere do I find the file BaseSystem.dmg.

Also, OSX Extractor 1.31 crashes at the end of the installation, though the files seem to be there and ZZ Sleep shows in System Preferences (presumably this is the "Hidden Toggle").

Suggestions on where to find BaseSystem.dmg?

Thanks,
GEMoore

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
A bug has been discovered in OS X Extractor 1.31 installer that results in installation hanging and refusal to end the background tasks for shut down or restart. This issue seems to affect only certain Macs that upgraded from version 1.3 but I am not sure
I know you and other developers are presently very busy with important matters.
Sorry therefore to ask again.
Any progress with MCPF 2.0 ?

Thank you in advance
Ed

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I know you and other developers are presently very busy with important matters.
Sorry therefore to ask again.
Any progress with MCPF 2.0 ?

Thank you in advance
Ed
Kelian won't spill the beans yet but there shouldn't be much left to do besides bug fixes and one new feature that downloads our patched kernel for El Capitan. I assume it will be before Christmas.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Kelian won't spill the beans yet but there shouldn't be much left to do besides bug fixes and one new feature that downloads our patched kernel for El Capitan. I assume it will be before Christmas.

Thank you very much, to you and to Kelian and the developing team!
:)

GEMoore

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
Yes, your efforts are greatly appreciated and I plan to make a contribution.

Because of Hennessie, et al., I've been able to upgrade/convert my Mac Pro's, which has allowed me to lean on that hardware and try an iPad in place of my 9-year old MBP 2,2. Still, aside from running out-of-date software, the MBP runs fine (upgraded to SSD a few years ago) and - like the Mac Pro's - appears to have plenty of life left in her.

It's just not right or financially feasible for everyone to discard perfectly good hardware because of planned obsolescence. Few people or small businesses can afford that, and you guys deserve our gratitude for your assistance.

Reactions: Riwam

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Yes, your efforts are greatly appreciated and I plan to make a contribution.
It's just not right or financially feasible for everyone to discard perfectly good hardware because of planned obsolescence. Few people or small businesses can afford that, and you guys deserve our gratitude for your assistance.
To be fair, in this particular case I am not sure that Apple truly intended to create obsolenscence, like the well known cases of many different products with built in parts just strong enough to work for the period of time that the manufacturer grants warranty.:mad:

The fact that for instance my MB 4.1 still works astonishingly good for an electronic device built 7 years ago :rolleyes: should prove that Apple did not build it to last for one year warranty...and force the user to buy a new one immediately after that period.
I can still use it without any modification with OSX Lion, and many applications still perfectly accept this OSX.
However no doubt about that being able to upgrade it to newer OS is a very good thing. ;)

As you, I am very grateful to these developers who help others just for the sake of helping :D in a world (unfortunately) ruled by money. :)
Ed

GEMoore

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
Agreed, Riwam. My MBP 2,2 is 9 years old, it's a little pitted and has some minor dents and scratches. Apple is not malicious (at least not in this regard...I do have doubts in other areas) and does more than most manufacturers to support backwards compatibility. This is mainly the unintended consequence of new hardware and software (both planned) that evolve to become incompatible with old hardware.

Sitting next to me is a HIGHLY rebuilt and modified Mac G4, that originally was a Sawtooth and is now Dual E-net with upgraded CPU, modified PC 1000W power supply and an additional 110W power supply that ran an APC era Apple Cinema monitor. I only keep this G4 because I've got a Canon 2710 Film Scanner that has SCSI II I/O. Remember SCSI?!?! Boy, is that long gone. I have little reason to scan film these days and don't know that I ever will again, but why junk it? (Should anyone actually WANT such a beast, I'll sell it with the scanner!).

If I can get my MBP 2,2 running Yosemite, the forward compatibility should keep it quite useful for some years to come.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
To be fair, in this particular case I am not sure that Apple truly intended to create obsolenscence, like the well known cases of many different products with built in parts just strong enough to work for the period of time that the manufacturer grants warranty.:mad:

What Apple did in 2012 was downright highway robbery. I paid $1800 for my Macbook 4,1 in October of 2008, only to find out in early 2012, that APple had deemed a 3 and a bit year old computer obsolete. We're not talking cheap products here, I had to really really stretch to get my Macbook. Apple dropped it faster than a sac of potatoes and intended or not, it was a stunning example of apple prematurely obsoleting products. Apple is a rich rich rich company so it would not have killed them to be environmentally friendly and customer friendly to have supported these machines a bit longer. I applaud them for things like supporting the iPad 2 and 4S in iOS 9 and also for the long support given to certain 2007 and 2008 Macs, but that does not excuse them for everything.

Kudos does go to Microsoft who have barely changed the system requirements since Vista? in 2006 - you need 1 GB instead of 512MB but thats easily rectifiable, and the clock speed requirement has only risen 200MHZ. My 2008 Macbook white runs Windows 10 better than it runs OSX Lion, despite Windows 10 being current and Lion being released only 3 years after my laptop came out. Ironic when Microsoft gives better support for Macs than Apple can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.