Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Recompile? Do you have the sources from Apple?

Don't dream with the graphics Kexts/Frameworks. Wayne Wong's last post about MacPostFactor was on 23-Apr-2014, Kelian Dumarais' last post was on 9-Jul-2014 ... I'm curious what TMRJIJ will release from 16-Oct-2014 on his website. All of the three have promised to deliver. If TMRJIJ can indeed get GMA950/X3100 working, the next problem is to keep these updated to possible (security) updates from Apple. And GMA950/X3100 are not the only GPU's in older Macs ....

Ahh, the Parade Rainer.

I happen to agree 100% that these things will never happen but let them dream.

Sadly, the sort of drive to create such things is usually chasing money. And it is difficult to monetize such an endeavor since you can't claim copyright on existing code that you mod.

It may be possible that someone hits a working solution through dumb luck but keep in mind the intermingled nature of all of these parts.

Good luck.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
well, I'm not that stupid to think that "hey, it's easy as 1,2,3" recompile kexts from 32 to 64 bit ;)

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
I have everything thing installed and is working good. FaceTime and imessage work fine. There's still no graphics correct? Mine say 6mb

Last edited:

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Well...

By the sound of things, just copies of existing files from the Net, copies other people's work and... disillusion for misled people. It'll certainly never offer any solution for full graphics acceleration under Mavericks and Yosemite for GMA950, GMA X3100, nVidia 7300, etc. Let's be clear on that point.

People still don't get it that these old GPUs simply are obsolete?

For instance:
GMA950: OpenGL1.4 and that's it. No OpenCL support.
GMAX3100: OpenGL 2.0/2.1 and that's it. No OpenCL support.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/
http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/device?d=Intel+GMA+950&d=Intel+GMA+X3100
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-950.2177.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-X3100.2176.0.html

So forget 64bit kexts that will handle OpenGL3.x, the hardware does not support it.

It's better run Lion than desperately try to run ML, Mavericks or Yosemite in limping Lion mode.

well, in lion kexts for the gma x3100 there are some 3.3 gl compatibility, don't know for open cl

the only thing possible is to rewrite kext from 0 to support openg gl/cl, but that requires a lot of knowledge and time.. in some hackintosh forums there are people that develop kext for unsupported ati gpus, maybe asking them can be helpful

anyway, thank you RV-ABZ for your omniscent optimism :cool:

Sithari

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Nope. No effect at all.

Take that back. Some of the transitions are a little smoother.

Reboot, press cmd+s. Wait till everything loads up, then type in:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

after that type in:

reboot

Then checks About my Mac, GMA X3100 should be there.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Just trying to be realistic and warn people about pending disillusion, that's all. Thankfully, I'm not the only one...

I've accepted the fact that 7-8years old Macs have reached obsolescence. Why others have refused that fact for the last couple of years and continue to do so today eludes me. One of life's little mystery I guess...

obiovously with copy&paste from older systems we don't get so much, some handcoding is needed from who has knowledge

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
analyzing OpenGL support between gmax3100 and intel hd3000 i've seen that there are just little differences between each others, maybe loading intel hd3000 kext telling them to work with gmax3100 can be a little start line

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
obiovously with copy&paste from older systems we don't get so much, some handcoding is needed from who has knowledge

It seems the problem is that Apple doesn't release the open source code for the OpenGL API. This is why even running OS X in a virtual machine in a supported Mac they get the same kind of issues we get here. This is at least what I've found Parallels was saying while digging for this issue.

analyzing OpenGL support between gmax3100 and intel hd3000 i've seen that there are just little differences between each others, maybe loading intel hd3000 kext telling them to work with gmax3100 can be a little start line

As I wrote in the Mavericks thread I managed to make it loading (but that's it. The result was even worse, as if there was no kext loaded). What you need to do is to change the line in

Code:
AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/Contents/Info.plist

from

Code:
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x01068086 0x06018086 0x01168086 0x01028086 0x01268086</string>

To the equivalent in your kext. Like this for the GMA 950:

Code:
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x25828086 0x25928086 0x27728086 [B]0x27A28086[/B]</string>

It also loaded just adding 0x27A28086 (which should be the GMA 950 id I suppose) to the list of hex numbers.

I was wondering if editing the binary

Code:
AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelHD3000Graphics

with an hex editor to add the GPU id would achieve anything. But I just gave it a shot after reading a post of someone doing something similar, I am not really sure what I was doing.

Reboot, press cmd+s. Wait till everything loads up, then type in:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

after that type in:

reboot

Then checks About my Mac, GMA X3100 should be there.

Wait, what's this? Is there something similar for the GMA 950? I just tried it with my Mavericks installation (GMA 950) and it still shows a mere "10" instead of "64MB".

Last edited:

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
upgrading my yosemite installation to gm2 ****ed up again everything..

@michelasso

maybe with the hex editor we archive something

here there are some suggestions on patching kexts :D

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
@michelasso

maybe with the hex editor we archive something

here there are some suggestions on patching kexts :D

Well, that says to do what i just did. Patch the Info.plist file. The problem is that it does nothing. It just loads the kext, which sits there. I doubt this is a possible route at this point. We should ask to the author of the origina post: #762

PS: still I am so annoyed by Apple. Mavericks with its compressed memory is marvelous! I did some tweaking and I could load a Win7 VM with Safari and other stuff open in OS X without hitting the backing store on disk. With Lion it would have been 4GB at least.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Well, that says to do what i just did. Patch the Info.plist file. The problem is that it does nothing. It just loads the kext, which sits there. I doubt this is a possible route at this point. We should ask to the author of the origina post: #762

PS: still I am so annoyed by Apple. Mavericks with its compressed memory is marvelous! I did some tweaking and I could load a Win7 VM with Safari and other stuff open in OS X without hitting the backing store on disk. With Lion it would have been 4GB at least.

well contrary to what someone sad I think that gma can well support mavericks-yosemite(hey, look at you snow leopard-lion dock and top bar, can you see translucency?) like iphone 4 support ios 7(and IMHO can support ios8, they don't do it due to marketing and programmed obsolescence)

since right now i have a very annoying internet connection and there isn't a final release i will not continue testing until the official release

(anyway I hope you continue testing :cool:, i think the key is modifying hd3000 kexts)

Last edited:

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Audio Fix

Has anyone found a fix for the non working stock audio on a MacBook 4,1. I found the Voodoo control panel but the sound is very soft and tinny. If there is a way to fix that in the voodoo panel that I have missed I would appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.