Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Very well, so I stand corrected: GMA950/X3100 older Macs are very usable under Yosemite.

I appreciate the honesty. :)

Actually, they are even more usable now! I managed to speed up Mission Control! How? Simple: obviously disabling the animations. As the regular users just type this in Terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock expose-animation-duration -int 0
killall Dock

And magically MC (and the "show all windows" gesture) will not have that 2-3 secs delay anymore. It's at most instant!

If you want to enable the animations back simply type the commands:

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.dock expose-animation-duration
killall Dock

At the first try I had an issue with Launchpad not showing the background anymore, but now it's fine. Who ever uses Launchpad anyway.. :D

EDIT: But in case you use it, there are similar commands for Launchpad. ;)

Show immediately:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock springboard-show-duration -int 0
defaults write com.apple.dock springboard-hide-duration -int 0
killall Dock

Back to standard:

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.dock springboard-show-duration
defaults delete com.apple.dock springboard-hide-duration
killall Dock

Last edited:

houstonsmith23

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Radeon x1600 drivers?

Hey,
Does anyone have any kexts for Radeon x1600? I have a MacBook Pro from Late 2006 (Core 2 Duo).

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
I'm trying to install but when i boot from my usb it says yosemite is already installed.
mb4,1

I manged to get the install to work by actually deleting one of the supportedplaform.plist

Last edited:

Moshifan100

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Macbook 17" 2,1

Hello guys! I have a MBP Late 2006 and would like to install Yosemite. It currently has 10.8.5 MLPostFactor. I don't know about the Graphics Card though, because it is Radeon X1600 256 MB. Hope I can get it working! :apple::D:apple:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
The ATI X1600 doesn't play the Videos because the graphics Kexts hasn't been loaded. There are 64bit Kexts and OpenCL/GL Frameworks available which work with a 64bit ML 10.8.5, but these files won't load in Mavericks/Yosemite. Dunno why, there's obviously more necessary than the enabled boot-args "kext-dev-mode=1".

Oh, that's a disgrace. Are those kexts from SL 10.6.2 like in the GMA case? They should at least load. Does the syslog show anything?

The built-in DVD-Player says 'no Video device', QuickTime plays MP4-Videos a little bit slowly after the install of Adobe Flash, VLC 2.15 shows no Video-window, Youtube-Videos in Safari are partly ok and EyeTV works - but also a little bit slow, without Teletext and Onscreen menu.

Well, that's more or less what I get with the GMA kexts loaded and no Flash installed. The slowness and the errors are due to the lack of the HW acceleration. Not sure why QuickTime plays the videos and VNC (or MXPlayer) doesn't, though. Especially VLC was supposed to have an option to SW render them. Oh well, I would need VLC just to check if the subtitles are in synch. :D

Right now I am checking why Maps isn't working. So far I discovered that it queries the apple servers, asking for a configuration. Too bad it sends this:

Code:
http://gspe21.ls.apple.com/config/announcements?hardware=[B]MacBook2,1[/B]&lang=it&os=osx&os_build=14A388a&os_version=10.10

thus checking for MacBook2,1, obviously returning an error. A bit like the Mac App Store (MAS) when trying to download an unsupported version of OS X, I suppose. So the question is simple:

Is there a way to trick OS X into thinking it is running in a supported MacBook (Air/Pro)? I've read a post once of someone claiming that he or she could download OS X Mavericks from the unsupported Mac. I can't find it anymore. But I discovered this "Mavericks Download Enabler" which actually just looks like anything else than a Clover booter (the ones used in the Hackintoshes).

A previous version (which I tried without success) and that isn't supposed to work anymore just added an

Code:
SMBIOSEFI.kext

kext. I'd love to have anything like that, I believe Maps and MAS aren't the only ones at this point.

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
I've had a look through the forum but can't really see anything about the translucency, is there any way to enable it on a 2008 mb 4,1 with gmax3100 graphics, I have the kexts installed.

Thanks to everyone for their work on this :)

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I've had a look through the forum but can't really see anything about the translucency, is there any way to enable it on a 2008 mb 4,1 with gmax3100 graphics, I have the kexts installed.

For translucent menus you will need 64bit Kexts as well as appropriate OpenCL/GL Frameworks which support Quartz Extreme / Core Image.

The current GMA X3100 Kexts support only the Framebuffer.

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
I realize there is very likely no hope for improved graphics support for the x3100. Despite that I am very impressed with just how well Yosemite runs on a MacBook 4,1. Thanks to all who have worked hard to get guides out there to help us get it going!

Is there any hope though of getting improved sleep performance? It wouldn't be as big of a deal if the display itself would sleep and I could leave the machine unattended at times, however the backlight remains on. If that was resolved I would be able to look past the semi-sluggish video playback as my only other real drawback. However if not I may end up reinstalling Mountain Lion.

Chasez671

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Hey guys. I tried this on my macbook 4.1, and everything was going smoothly until it needed to reboot after the install. Instead of finishing the installation or booting into yosemite, it shows a no symbol(grey circle with a slash through it). Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Hey guys. I tried this on my macbook 4.1, and everything was going smoothly until it needed to reboot after the install. Instead of finishing the installation or booting into yosemite, it shows a no symbol(grey circle with a slash through it). Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

You need delete the PlatformSupport.plist that was placed on the Yosemite drive as part of the install. Boot back into the installer and from the utilities menu enter Terminal. Then use the command:

rm /Volumes/[Macintosh HD Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Note: This command did not work for me until I used a name for the Yosemite drive that did not have any spaces in it. If you can mount the HD on another mac you could navigate to that location and delete the file that way otherwise.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I tried this on my macbook 4.1, and everything was going smoothly until it needed to reboot after the install. Instead of finishing the installation or booting into yosemite, it shows a no symbol(grey circle with a slash through it).

Check the PlatformSupport.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices/ (Board-ID, Mac Model), check also your Boot.efi (a MB4,1 should boot with Apple's stock version) - see Post #41.

Chasez671

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys

You need delete the PlatformSupport.plist that was placed on the Yosemite drive as part of the install. Boot back into the installer and from the utilities menu enter Terminal. Then use the command:

rm /Volumes/[Macintosh HD Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Note: This command did not work for me until I used a name for the Yosemite drive that did not have any spaces in it. If you can mount the HD on another mac you could navigate to that location and delete the file that way otherwise.

Thank you! I totally forgot about this step! Everything is running smoothly now :)

EDIT: I don't really know much about this kind of stuff, but has anyone tried these kexts for QE support?

Last edited:

minsu

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Hi guys.

I've followed the steps and I've managed to install Yosemite in a MacBookAir1,1 (the original one).

It works quite well after installing some kexts, but I've found a bunch of issues:

Luminosity: Can't be regulated by the default by I can manage it with an external app, Midnight.

Sleep: No computer sleep so far (it can't wake up) but the display sleep mode is working OK.

FaceTime: It works, but rather slowly

Maps: Not working

But the worst is that I can't make sound working!!!!

I've tied that voodoo thing also but no resaults. With kext did you guys use for making sound work??

Reactions: lazygatto

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
posted about let mac os x thinking a gma x3100 an hd3000 on other forum, waiting for an helpful answer :cool:

Last edited:

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
well wayne and mlforall have been in the fog for a year, hope they really release this soon and the just don't work only on the graphics of the installer app :cool: :D

wayne sad he has an ETA in this or the next week: AMAZING
AND IT WILL BE 100% LIKE A STANDARD OS X INSTALLATION

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.