Over Half of Prospective iPhone X Buyers Surveyed Plan to Choose 256GB Storage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 2, 2017.

1. jscooper22 macrumors regular

jscooper22

I've been thinking about this for months now, and I'm almost embarrassed to ask 'cause there must be something really obvious I'm missing. But what's the big deal about wireless charging?

You still need to keep it physically on a surface (which you need to buy) that needs to be plugged in. So it's not like you can charge it while walking around your house. Also, if it's plugged in, I can still pick it up, look at it, answer email. I've heard rumors that it's bad to put it up to your ear while charging, but maybe that's something I need to confirm on snopes.

I dunno, I just don't get it.

I'm missing something here, right?

2. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

People are crazy to pay 1k+ for an iphone 8+ with an extra notch.

3. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

People really beating the classic iPhone design of the 8 to death on here damn. Just a year ago there wasn't nearly this much hate, ppl were clamoring to get their hands on the Jet Black 7 Plus with that design, now that the calendar flipped from 9 years to 10 no one can stomach it. Crazy.

4. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Please explain how having no desire to buy a 1,500 phone is entitledo_O. It's by definition the exact opposite. I don't complain about 60k cars, because I drive a 32k used Volvoo_O And the reason I drive a 32k car because that is what I can pay for with cash without taking a loan. People are taking loans on these phones, which is insane. Oh an btw where did I complain. I said it's insane or something to that affect...

So you want to pay that for a phone have fun... I couldn't possible care any less about it..

5. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

I could care less about the name, i like front and back camera tech. The notch i am indifferent about. Yes I wanting to order now as well ;-)

6. George Bailey macrumors member

Do you have a breakdown of that? For total profit (not margin) the cost to build an X would have to be more than $300 higher than the cost to build an 8. If not then the X is more profitable. I doubt the difference is that much. I'm pretty sure they will make significantly more money selling X's than 8's.

7. jkwr macrumors newbie

jkwr

64gb S8 plus and 200gb micro sd for £600 or 256gb iphone x for £1149......

8. KB24Slam macrumors member

KB24Slam

I see most of the users on here are opting for the 256GB and I'm just curious as to what is taking up all of that space on the phone. I'm not judging by any means, just curious. I have a 128GB iPhone 7 right now and I'm only using 32GB of space surprisingly. I take a decent amount of photos/video and have a good number of apps and music stored on the phone, I just can't imagine filling up the rest of the phone, especially with iCloud. I guess for photographers/videographers the higher storage space is a necessity. Anyway, can't wait to get the X with y'all next month!

9. KB24Slam macrumors member

KB24Slam

Feel the exact same way as you. When true wireless charging is a thing and not inductive, then that'll be something to get excited about. Not this.

10. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Probably to push more sales into their iCloud service.

11. HVDynamo macrumors regular

Yeah, what they are proposing isn't going to work. This looks like another company trying to scam investors by playing to what the market wants. The physics says no. good luck breaking that barrier with anything efficient at all.

12. ackmondual, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

HD video at 60fps takes up A LOT of space.
    Maybe for business purposes where you have large databases?
    Also thinking a lot of games.
    Multimedia, like 80 GB of music, or 120 GB of a entire TV series.

Otherwise, it's one of those cases of "it's nice to know it's there". Especially with iOS devices where you can't add more storage, but have to buy a completely new device. It is an extra $150, but sometimes, peace of mind is worth it.

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Why waste your time and come to this forum to drop your snark then? That in itself is passive aggressive complaining about the price.

$1500 after tax buys you a computer that fits in your hand and is FASTER than a Macbook Pro. We don't NEED financing to get these "phones" (a term that is so loosely used on what the iPhone or any smart device actually is) but most of the better DEALS are through. I can do far more with a $1500 iPhone than I can with the 12 inch Macbook that costs MORE. The camera is better (both of them), it has a FASTER processor, better screen and has the same storage.

You're only insane if you buy the iPhone to show off how big your balls are to everyone else. The rest of us who want it will use it to take pictures, watch movies, listen to music and enjoy technology.

I drive a $27,000 Volt that I lease and I drive it because I save money on gas and get huge rebates from my state and my work. So I think your $32,000 Volvo is an overpriced piece of junk. How do you like them :apple:'s

14. fairuz, Oct 3, 2017

fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

It's usually not slow. Lags at times, but that wouldn't happen had I just not updated it :( Had to for work.
    Er, idk. Could also have to do with the fall damage it took. Thinking I buy an SE to replace it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    Both crap in comparison to my $1500 Crown Vic :D

15. PickUrPoison, Oct 3, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 6502

Most people charge at night only, and now that Apple has (soon) three devices that can charge wirelessly, it’s definitely a nice-to-have feature. Plug the charging mat in once, and never have to deal with plugging in cables again. Just place your iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPod case on the mat at night and you’re done. (If you’re that deep in the ecosystem, of course :))

Apple has their reasons for adding features on their own timetable; you or I may not agree, however it is deliberate. Some possibilities: 1) remember that as late as 2016 there were two competitive standards (Samsung supported both I believe), but Qi has won (sorry PMA!); 2) public charge spots are more widely available, and more new cars and hotel rooms have Qi charging; and 3) the biggest reason imo was that the internal component volume budget wasn’t as favorable until the last couple of years, i.e. Apple would rather spend that resource on more battery/thinner phone.

Along with 4) their three wireless charging devices and the mat that will uniquely charge all devices optimally (using a superset of the Qi spec), the scales tipped this year. I’m sure it’s been on the roadmap for 2 or 3 years.

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

SE is a good phone. I hope Apple updates it with some higher specs. They would certainly be able to take a lot of low end market share from Android if they put 7 features and guts inside a 4 inch body.

17. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I have plenty of friends and loved ones, but would rather just enjoy the moment with them that constantly hold up my iPhone to capture events. Significant events, sure. But how many events are you apart of where you really need to capture everything on video? A lot of the times pictures will do just fine.

And also, that's what cloud storage is for. I have 200GB of iCloud storage and am getting a 64GB iPhone X. All of my videos/pictures live on my iMac and I put the stuff I always want to be accessible in iCloud Drive.

Just my two cents. 256GB isn't for everyone regardless of how many loved ones you have.

18. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502

Not if they wanted a headphone jack.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    I look at it this way. You're paying 15% more for 4x the storage and guaranteed higher resale value. Seems like a no-brainer to me, even if you never come close to using 64GB.

19. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

That depends on how you use it.

Personally, I don't like using my phone with a charging wire plugged into it. If my phone is charging and I need to use it for anything other than just quickly checking something then I unplug it. Often I then forget to plug it back in.

With wireless, I can just pick it up off the pad, without having to unplug the wire and then put it back on the pad afterwards. To me that is a huge improvement.

If I am just doing something quick, where I wouldn't currently unplug it, I now have the benefit of not having the wire dangling out of the bottom whilst doing that.

The only issue I can see for my usage is if the phone is very low on battery so you need to plug it in, but also need to keep using it. That's a fairly rare occurrence for me (especially with a relatively new phone), but in those occasions the wire option is still there.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    In most situations I agree totally with you. That's why my 64gb phone almost always has space free.

However, take the situation I was in recently:

Going on holiday, so put some music on my phone, as I can't rely on getting internet connection when away. Even though I have roaming it is often slow. Wifi is usually OK in hotels, but can't be guaranteed.

On that holiday, I take lots of pictures. Then we visit some places where you want to take some videos. Plenty of time to also enjoy the moment with my family, but let's also get a video of that geyser erupting, or to get the true impact of the waterfall. If I'm not going to take those sort of videos then what's the point of having a video camera?

So, you take some videos. Not huge numbers, but a few small ones from various angles. Missed the geyser first time, so have another go. My son suggests we have a go at videoing it in slow motion. He has a go too.

But we don't have quick wifi where we are staying. There is no way that these videos are going to get uploaded to iCloud. Meanwhile, my phone has warned me that it is running out of storage. I look through the music that I've downloaded and decide what to delete off.

Whilst doing so, I think "I really need to increase the storage on my next phone".

That is a scenario which may happen two or three times during my ownership of the phone, but It's a bit problem when it does. £150 to avoid having to mess around with that sort of thing is a an easy decision for me. I'm sure 128gb would do the job, so the fact that it isn't available is a shame, but at least I will now have the option of also adding some TV shows or films as well, so that I have the option of watching them on the phone and using my iPad.

Cloud storage is absolutely fine, and I use it, but you do need a reliable internet connection for it to work well. That is fine when you are at home, but the moment you start travelling, especially abroad, it often can't be relied upon.

20. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know the weight difference between the 64 and 256GB models? The 256GB on iPhone 7 was much heavier than the 64GB model

21. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I see what you’re saying. I literally was just in the same situation. I was on the other side of the world with my 7 Plus 128GB and was totally fine, but figured when I get my 64GB X I will just make sure I’m going abroad with at least like 30GB available. I took slow-mo, Live Photo’s, bursts etc. The way I have my phone setup now, everything can fit within 64GB.

Part of me wants to get the 256GB, but $150 to me is a big difference in something I ultimately can control and have a good grasp on.

You’re right tho. And Apple is very smart because most people will be like you and opt for the 256GB. Customers are happy and Apple makes more money Lol.

Just give me my iPhone X 64GB Silver on launch day and i’ll Be a happy camper.

22. carpleror macrumors 6502

I have a 256GB with about 50% used. I have 4,000 songs, plenty of videos, pictures, and other things. I hate using the cloud, I frequently commute where there's not cell service which kind of forces me to store things locally.

That being said, I probably would have jumped down to 128GB had it been offered this time around...

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Are you freaking trolling us with this question of yours?

24. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

No, this is a serious question. If you don’t want to answer, skip it and move on with your interesting life.

25. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

There shouldn’t be any difference in weight between flash storage of varying amounts. I don’t know how it is you had the impression that the higher-storage iPhone 7 weighed more, but it wouldn’t be due to that.