Over Half of Prospective iPhone X Buyers Surveyed Plan to Choose 256GB Storage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Shoju macrumors member

Shoju

This exactly. Apple could’ve easily offered 128 GB alongside the 256 GB version but they opted to only offer 64 GB as the “cheaper” version in order to make people pay even more for the phone. Not saying that’s wrong - that’s capitalism 101 - just saying it’s a little too obvious imho..

2. WashupDawg macrumors regular

A shattered wallet won't feel the extra $150 *shrug*.

3. load97 macrumors member

load97

Exactly. Keep screwing with the consumers. If you already had 128 (which has been out for few years) your pretty much forced to go to 256 GB. 64 GB option on a flagship phone is pathetic going in to 2018.

4. plexdk macrumors 6502

At what time of the day, does the preorder open? I'm located in CEST.

5. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

it's cost as much as a laptop... grr $1150+ for a phone that really does not have any WOW features. this purchase will be tough for me.

6. Keness macrumors member

Because nearly half of the people planning to buy it feel it is plenty for them. I'm in that group, too. I have the 64gb 6+, and have never even used half of it. 16gb would be ridiculous. 32gb probably would be, too. But 64gb easily covers the needs for an AWFUL lot of people.

7. dilbert99 macrumors 65816

Its not fake. Wireless charging is the name given to charging an object with no wire between the item providing the charge and the item being charged.

Even if you have distance between the objects, you still need wires in both sender and receiver.

8. WhatdoIkn0w4now macrumors newbie

They got me.

I got the 128GB 7+ last year, and I updated my iCloud to 200GB to support it. Now I have to upgrade both phone and icloud again.

9. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Wat? What does wireless charging have to do with anything here? The iPhone 8 also offers it.

Wireless charging has absolutely ZERO to do with what capacity of iPhone X someone picks.

10. kdarling, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    My friend, you obviously didn't read all the charts in the head post :D

Otherwise, you would've understood my post, just like most people did.

11. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

OIS in telephoto is really my reason. and I just like ordering successfully at 2:01:20 am Central Time. ;) upgrading from 6s+.

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am now convinced nothing Apple does make you people happy. It wasn’t so long ago that Apple was being criticised for having a 16gb tier when 64gb should have been the default. And now that Apple offers just that, they get criticised for not including more.

And if Apple offered 128gb as the default, you people will just go on to criticise Apple for not offering 256 as the stock model. It’s never going to end.

13. orev macrumors regular

Yes and it is very dangerous. Having all of the air around you saturated with enough electricity that can charge a device also creates an arcing risk, which would be very bad in areas with high flammability, and if you had a gas leak, etc...

14. curtvaughan macrumors regular

curtvaughan

That's hopefully true - technology will continue to improve, and criticism will always be relative to the current offerings. The nature of evolving technology is that some people aren't satisfied with the status quo.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Thing is, they were both valid complaints.

- 16GB was getting ridiculously small.

- Now, the large price jump from $700 (64GB) to $850 (256GB) without a stop at 128GB can be hard for people.

The rest of your post was a strawman. Nobody said to make 128GB the default. They just want it as an intermediate option.

16. orev macrumors regular

No, you're characterizing the argument wrong so you can fight against it. The 16GB issues was about the lowest offered size, and this discussion is about the middle tier.

The lowest offered size was a problem because it's the "base model" that they can use to advertise a low price, but the storage is so low that it's not really usable for most people (and flash storage is really extremely cheap), so it's either a bait-and-switch type of price, or people who buy it get stuck with a difficult to use product.

This issue is that the lack of a 128GB middle tier size forces people to pay a premium for the higher storage, even though they wouldn't want that much space. 64GB is good for many people, but there are also others who would do very well at 128GB, but don't currently have that option, so it forces them to the 256GB tier.

17. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

husband and daughter laugh at me.

18. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Apple typically charges $100 per doubling of storage.

Under this guideline, we would have to pay $200 to go from 64gb to 128gb to 256gb.

Now, it’s just $150 to go from 64gb all the way to 256gb. Seems like a decent deal.

Not to mention we get to cut down the number of SKUs of iPhone models from 3 down to 2, making it easier for Apple to project and meet demand.

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Not sure how but i only have 17GB of storage left out of my 256GB so i have no choice.

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Thank goodness, I thought it was just me. :oops: I'm not getting a new iPhone but I will have to sit down and clear off some 4K video. I couldn't get Google or Amazon Prime to back up my longer videos so I'm going to have to put them one my husband's computer. I presume they're also backed up to my iCloud account but I'd better make sure.

21. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Me too. That and a great camera without having to buy a big model.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I have no idea why i have so little. I thought all photos go to the cloud and not against your storage?

Maybe it’s the amount of Live Photo’s.

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I think they are stored on both the cloud and on your iPhone. Live Photos are big but I would not be without them because of the kids. I think the new file formats for pics and vids will help us save on space.

24. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Not everyone stores stuff on their phones. I use the cloud for most of my storage (photos, TV, Movies), and music I stream.

Stop assuming everyone needs 256GB.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. Not morally wrong, but damn as hell annoying. Apple could have made 3 X's 64, 128, 256 too. I guessing in that scenario the 128 model would outsell the 256 2:1. So just having 256 preserves the extra revenue. I suspect, in addition to wanting to get the extra $200 juice, it's also a brake on demand which "helps" relieve some pressure on a phone that looks to have a serious part supply deficit.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    Who's making that assumption? The cloud storers can live happy with 64GB. I don't rely on the cloud to a huge extent -- mostly just documents. 64 is too little, 256 is too much. But I can't function with too little so I'm forced to take too much or stick with my 128 iPhone 7. Difficult decision for me. I'm not sure the X is worth the $800 I'll have to shell out after I sell the 7. It's def. a better phone. Just not sure it's a $800 better phone.