Over Half of Prospective iPhone X Buyers Surveyed Plan to Choose 256GB Storage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 2, 2017.

1. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

THIS. plus remember the price for that Mac? $3,500 or so — about $8500 in 2017 USD based on inflation calculator. as I recall our first home computer was $1,000 less—a PC JR with the chiclet keyboard ;p. probably included the dot matrix printer and monitor. we added so many memory modules had to get a bigger desk but we used right into the 90s. replaced the kb of course.
    the first iPhone at $400 was the first Apple computer product I could afford.

2. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

I bought the 64GB SE because at the time, it was a choice between 16 (no) and 64 (too big)

It worked for them then, it'll work for them now.

Maybe there'll be a 128/512 X refresh in a years time?

3. [AUT] Thomas macrumors member

Should have asked "waiting for the SE2"... which is the most attractive feature "I want to the newest iPhone/Flaship model". Results would have been different with those two questions...

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's funny that sales people always say that but on the flip side it's a process to get them to come down $150 or even $75 when negotiating. They want every dime they can. Why shouldn't I want to keep every dime too?

A huge company like Apple just jacked up existing already pricey iPad Pro models by $50 -- not lower, raise. If $50 is important to Apple why shouldn't it be important to me when considering a product. There comes a point where a product is $1 too expensive.

5. terrywfoster macrumors regular

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Same here, but “minority” in this context is virtually just the other half. This is just a survey with 8-900 participants, and a 53/47 split.

I’m surprised Apple chose to make it a $150 price difference between the 64 and 256models. I feel like if they just dropped it to 100, they would have much more people choosing the higher tier.

7. Fran6cojL macrumors newbie

Fran6cojL

You are missing the point entirely.

8. AT&T representative macrumors member

AT&T representative

Well of course! Why would anyone invest over $1,000 on a phone without enough storage.

9. MrXiro, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Do you complain about $60k cars too? I mean you could easily buy a $15k too...

You're the epitome of "entitled", you don't want to buy the $1500 "phone" (aka hand held computer) then don't. There is a $699 iPhone with nearly all the same specs.

Still too much money? There is a $350 iPhone for you to buy.

Still too much? Blu makes a few Android phones that cost about $50 that work great!

10. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

My wife just shakes her head. -and also says what is wrong with your 7Plus 256 ;-)

11. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Apple is very generous to only make it a $150 price difference between 64 GB and 256 GB models and set a starting price at $999.99 considering all manufacturing difficulties they have been through and exploding expected demands for this special edition iPhone. Apple should have priced it much higher like Apple Watch Edition with starting point at $1,199 for 64GB and $1,399 for 256 GB. After all, this is a “Special” released iPhone, not a regular yearly release. Wake up, folks!!

12. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

For the first time EVER I feel like I really dont need a new phone. The onnly reason I'm considering the X is that its actually somewhat new and different and has the great new cameras in a smaller package (the iPhone plus is just unwieldy). Holding the iPhone 8 next to my 6S.....made me go "meh".

13. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Sales tax is $108 :( It's been around a decade since I purchased a big ticket item. You sort of "forget" that sales tax is a percentage, and that doing the math yields just that.

Also, add in a case, and the wireless charging pad would be anther $100 or so.

If you're already paying $1,000 for a phone for a phone that you really want, may as well add another $150 (which is relatively tame compared to the $1K price tag) to get a phone that you really want.

14. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

Interesting, if it were not for the OLED screen which I want to better daylight visibility, the dual image stabilized rear and higher res cameras, and what I can do with the front facing cameras I probably would stay with my 7Plus 256. But I am on the upgrade program and will see if I can land one of these just to play with them the techie nerd that I am, and committed to apple ecosystem with all my computers and iOS devices ;-)

However just read this article below which I just stumbled across. Maybe it will stir things up here LOL and I will stand a chance at getting the X 256 ;-) And given the main thing I like is how cameras are getting better allowing me to leave my digital DLSR behind many times, it might be of interest ;-). I do feel smart phones in large are arriving at a plateau and once the camera part starts not being a major update for me I may stick with what I have longer in future ;-)

https://theoutline.com/post/2352/apple-is-really-bad-at-design

15. gatearray macrumors 65816

From a list of decidedly "meh" features, respondents overwhelmingly chose "wireless charging" as their best-of-the-worst reason to buy. Just 9% of buyers give a care about AR abilities, and only 14% believe the design to be attractive!

This thing has disaster written all over it.

Attached Files:

16. DocMultimedia macrumors regular

I want my X, especially the improved camera.

But I hate the name. And I hate the notch. And I hate that I can't order until almost November.

17. fairuz, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

I don't see what's so special about the storage. I bought a 256GiB microSD card for $50 a year ago. They have 512 too. Problem with having that much storage is your backups will be large, unless you're just gonna YOLO it, which I imagine most people do.

18. xitongzou macrumors member

I don't get why people want the wireless charging. It's not actually wireless; you still have to put the phone on a pad to charge. This makes it unusable while its charging, unlike with wires. It seems to be a *Downgrade* to wired charging to me. As for facial recognition - I'd still rather have TouchID. Don't understand why those are the top 2 features people want. I would think it would be the OLED design first.

19. imaynotbearobot macrumors newbie

What got me was the fact that 72% of the poll is NOT getting a X.

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well for one you can charge and listen to your iPhone with wired headphones without living the "dongle life" now.

21. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

You can already do that with a 6

22. Mr. Mad Vibes macrumors member

Mr. Mad Vibes

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Enjoy your slow AF iPhone... :)

24. grayskies macrumors regular

I haven't decided to by the X. But, I'd definitely get the 256gb if I do.

I'm disappointed that the lowest offering is 64gb. I've reflected on the 128gb capacity of my 6s and decided that I didn't want to offload pictures. I suspect that the best thing about the smartphone is simply having it, and access to your information (pictures, video, songs, data) all the time. I don't listen to music all the time; I just like knowing that if I want to listen to some great song I have it. When the mood strikes me, I can look back at a family memory or a past love. I need storage space for this.

25. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I'm surprised so many people would be interested in buying the iPhone 6̶S̶S̶S̶ 8, given the painfully incremental updates and ancient form factor.