Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Can the USB consortium withdraw Palm's license to the use the USB technology? If so, they would have to pull every USB compatible device from the market and rework them to use some other form of connectivity, which would effectively end the business we know as Palm.

I don't think Palm want's to go head on against the USB consortium.

Of course, we've seen no evidence so far that the USB consortium intends to do that, and they may not even consider it, but if they did, Palm would have to bend over and take it.

jW

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
If you knew apple at all, you'd know everything they do is proprietary. It's all based around the mac, safari, iphone, ipod. They have no interest in supporting anyone else, and why should they? iTunes was developed for the ipod/iphone. They keep a tight leash on it because they've spent millions on R&D and development. Why should they allow other hardware vendors to use it in a way it wasn't intended to be used?

Don't tell that to the Windows based PC I use at work...;)

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
how do you guys know that palm doesn't have permission from apple to use itunes? you guys work for apple? :rolleyes:
Because it wouldn't say 'Syncing iPod' in that case, it would say 'Syncing Pre'. No way would Apple license their technology and then have iTunes call a Pre an iPod.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
how do you guys know that palm doesn't have permission from apple to use itunes? you guys work for apple? :rolleyes:

And you really think that if they struck up a deal with Apple to allow it, then iTunes would say "now syncing IPOD" when you connect a pre?

Riiiiiiiiight.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Pre spoofing
Pre USB violations
Apple invested IP
Seamless world of Apple
Pre trying to attach to a success road
Apple breaking competitors compatibility

Yep.

I have one thing to say about that. Apple is entitled by private property rights to make a sandbox.

Competitors are entitled to make a better sandbox or even use other people's sandbox on an "as available" basis.

But competitors do not have rights to each other's property and networks.

There is a strong effort to munge the lines, but for now the lines still live.

Apple has a competitive advantage so long as the line keeps moving toward them.

Rocketman

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
This forum just keeps getting more, and more disappointing.

Granted this is a Apple-specific forum and is going to attract that crowd, it is however unfortunate that so many of you display so little intelligence or common sense. You immediately start throwing **** at everything not showing a shining light on Apple.

That's because there are so very, very few non-Apple products that are even remotely in the same league.

The "competition" doesn't exactly have a stellar record when competing in the same space as Apple - be it operating systems, hardware design, media players, phones, software, etc. And it's been like this for years now.

Naturally, we have a good dose of skepticism. And besides, I don't really have to be "nice" or "fair" to the competition. Screw them. They hardly deserve any breaks. It's like they've been asleep at the wheel for years now. I wish some of them would just go away instead of flooding the market with crap. But that's really the nature of the business . . . junk tends to multiply. Perhaps one of them will be a nice surprise, but I'm not holding my breath. Apple doesn't need competiton to innovate and make waves. They've developed the iPod Touch in the wake of virtually ZERO competition, from 2001 to now. And when the iPod Touch was released, no one else had anything even remotely similar or substantial to bring to the table. Apple is the kind of company that simply takes the initiative. Skate to where the puck WILL be, and pull everyone else along in the process, kicking and screaming, so this industry can shift its massive, groaning bulk forward. Apple isn't like MS, thankfully.

AtlasBoy

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2009
The World
Its a mixed bag - Apple could possibly sue Palm for patent infringement on the multitouch interface, then block the pre from syncing using itunes.

Its like they're trying to bait Apple into doing something...

I think your on the right track. Apple could sue Palm over the multi touch interface, but I doubt they will block the Pre from iTunes. Other devices are allowed to sync with iTunes, so they will not single the Pre out. Besides that, Apple can make $$ off the music in iTunes to help pay the legal expenses. :D

As a disclaimer, I have no idea if Palm violated Apples intellectual property with their multi touch. But if Apple thinks they did, they could keep Palm tied up in court for a long time.

matrixhacker

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
It'd be interesting to know if Palm attempted to license it or just went ahead and did it behind their backs. I'm pretty sure the Apple employees would have a good idea of Apple's reaction to it. Maybe they attempted to work out a deal with apple that failed?

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Presumably Palm will soon be arrested by the USB Consortium police, tried in front of a USB Consortium court, and if found guilty placed in a USB Consortium gaol.

No, but they can be sued for copyright infringement because Apple owns the trademark for the iPod and it's image.

Yes and I'm sure they also licensed multitouch and allowed many of their workers to leave and join Palm.:rolleyes:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Because it wouldn't say 'Syncing iPod' in that case, it would say 'Syncing Pre'. No way would Apple license their technology and then have iTunes call a Pre an iPod.

And I suspect that may be enough legal grounds for apple to stop them (if they wanted to go that route). Even if it's legal for the pre to somehow hack to sync with iTunes, I can't imagine it's OK for them to do it with "syncing iPod" on the screen.

baschdi

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
Tübingen, Germany
Doesn't Palms way of syncing Music to the Pre show the necessity of a global syncing app for different mobile devices on different platforms?

I really don't care if Apple sues Palm or just blocks the Pre or what-ever.

I've read some Pre articles and I think for some people the Pre is an excellant alternative to the iPhone or other smartphones, though I don't like the design and the physical keyboard, but thats just my opinion.

I think for a few mac users considering the Pre as their new phone the iTunes Sync is a very nice feature and one that might help choosing it.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
That's a fair point. Maybe Palm has paid Apple to license the technology? But then... why would it report itself as an iPod to iTunes instead of calling itself a Pre??

It wouldn't.

This debate seems to go around in a circle for the people who haven't read through all the threads...

The people thinking apple should for some reason allow this must not understand that full iTunes integration (the method Palm is attempting to ape, not the method that other generic mp3 players use) is a feature that Apple has spent years and millions setting up. You don't need to be a 'fanboy' to understand that they wouldn't want a direct competitor selling this feature for free.

If Palm wants to create this feature, this experience for their users, they should bear the burden of developing it themselves.

I kind of think it's garbage anyway. So you have to sync your music/video through iTunes, but then go somewhere else to buy/sync your apps? So right off the bat, even with piggy backing on Apple's hard work, they've made it twice as annoying for the consumer. They should create their own one single apple that does it all in one go... kind of like... iTunes!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
More devices need iTunes compatibility.

"Need"? Isn't that a bit like saying the PS3 needs to play Xbox games?

Sure, it would be nice for users of those other devices...but Apple is under no obligation to provide the support, and it's hard to imagine that providing that support would help Apple's profits more than it would hurt.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I think Apple would receive a negative backlash if they blocked the Pre, even though it is very cheeky of Palm to do this.
Hmm, I see it the other way, I think most of the crap would fall on Palm. It's a terrible decision IMO, just asking for trouble. Apple is under zero obligation to make sure the Pre works with iTunes, it's completely unsupported. If all of a sudden no one can sync their phone it's going to destroy it at this young stage where it needs to appear a rock-solid, complete solution to compete in this cutthroat market. If their plan is to hitch a free ride on iTunes until they can get their own desktop client out and stabilized, it may be too late by that time.

If Apple does want to kill off the Pre, they should make the iPhone better. That's the best way for all of us.
Well, they are doing that as well.

LxMx

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
Palm should focus on bringing Songbird syncing. I give Songbird a few months before it's better than iTunes.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
It's kind of sad when something like this comes along and everyone automatically starts thinking "Apple is going to break this".

I don't see why Apple needs to do this. They're only going to be pissing a lot of people off and they won't gain anything. The only possible argument would be that people might mistake a Palm Pre for an iPod because iTunes says "syncing iPod", but that's a pretty tough argument for me to take. (I'm pretty sure people in the market for a Pre can tell the difference between a Pre and an iPod.) Also, maybe

I have no doubt that Apple will pull the plug on this, but they shouldn't. They're just going to look like a bully and make a bunch of people mad.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008

They don't. They're just bumping their gums.

Apple let Nokia's - who are a far bigger threat than Palm - phones sync with iTunes. Why would they be bothered about the Pre?

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
This forum just keeps getting more, and more disappointing.

Granted this is a Apple-specific forum and is going to attract that crowd, it is however unfortunate that so many of you display so little intelligence or common sense. You immediately start throwing **** at everything not showing a shining light on Apple.

The Pre isn't **** until you've thoroughly used it, and guess what, even the Apple fanboys that have used it generally like the device. Some snark at the WebOS and web apps. But guess what? iPhone did that do (sans WebOS).

As it has been discussed before, Multi Touch has prior art. I would love to see Apple try to take Palm to court over it, would be interesting to say the least.

There is no infringement on emulating the iPod or another other device to get it to sync with iTunes. To those spouting for Palm to create their own app; Why? I own a mac because I want seamless integration as much as possible. Pre syncing with iTunes, via emulating an iPod or other means is fine with me if it is seamless. Adding another application would just be cumbersome and clunky. This is not the Mac way, pull your head out of your ass and see reason and try throwing in some logic while you're at it.

The iPhone is a great tool, and no doubt so is the Pre. Just because it doesn't have the famed Apple logo doesn't make it any less valuable.

I realize I probably ask too much of an online, Apple centric forum; but I can still hope to see glimpses of intelligent life here, and even more rare: intelligent conversation.
I beg to differ with you you can goto the following link and see that the Pre has used the ipod as an emulation in order to connect to iTunes:
http://nanocr.eu/2009/06/04/palm-pre-usb-hack-confirmed/

Adisah

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
I think Apple is more scared of being busted for being a monopoly then being friendly with other devices. I mean what would be the point of blocking the Palm Pre from syncing with iTunes. It would be suck a jerk move, it would be like kicking a dog while it's down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.