Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Believe what you want man, jailbreaking saves iOS products for me. No jailbreak = no buy. I don't want nanny state computers

use firewall ip7 and block all connections if you are a paranoid tin foil hatter
I'm no tinfoil hatter, but I do know that it isn't just people that you would call "important" who get their data stolen. Were the Target and Home Depot breaches only "important" people?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm no tinfoil hatter, but I do know that it isn't just people that you would call "important" who get their data stolen. Were the Target and Home Depot breaches only "important" people?

I disagree with the premise that jailbreaking is insecure

If it is, than anywhere you have root access is insecure, such as OS X and windows

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I love to jailbreak and add BTC Mouse and Keyboard. With a bluetooth mouse and an external keyboard, I can turn my iPhone into a really functional desktop replacement.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I only jailbreaked my old iphone 4 in the distant past, but I will absolutely be jailbreaking this time around. Even if you jailbreak once and then restore the regular iOS 8, you can then downgrade at a later time when ios 9, 10, or whatever comes out since Cydia will store the SHSH files. So then when you go to resell the phone, the buyer can pick and choose which version of iOS the he wants on it. This will mean it will have a higher resale value since it will actually be able to support the operating system instead of being stuck with a later version that apple forces down everyone's throat.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I only jailbreaked my old iphone 4 in the distant past, but I will absolutely be jailbreaking this time around. Even if you jailbreak once and then restore the regular iOS 8, you can then downgrade at a later time when ios 9, 10, or whatever comes out since Cydia will store the SHSH files. So then when you go to resell the phone, the buyer can pick and choose which version of iOS the he wants on it. This will mean it will have a higher resale value since it will actually be able to support the operating system instead of being stuck with a later version that apple forces down everyone's throat.

Unfortunately downgrading died with the iPhone 4 :(

There are some niche scenarios where I believe the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s can downgrade, but there were more caveats than the old shsh blob method that is no longer relevant

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I can't help but notice your hate for everything China related in your comments, it's not healthy, to say the least...

I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. 99 percent of his posts are just pointless nonsense trying to be the first comment.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK

I think you're going to be disappointed.

SHSH blobs have not been valid for quite sometime. You won't be able to downgrade even if you have them.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I know many had problems. Nevertheless, when done properly and following guidelines (no OTA devices etc.), JB'ing should not go wrong / brick a device.

And I state this as someone that has JB'n tons of different iDevices under tons of iOS versions ever since 2008.

"should not go wrong…" having worked with computers most of my adult life (figure approximately 40 years experience) there are a hell of a lot of problems caused by things that, "should not go wrong."

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I don't see any rush to jailbreak as most of the apps on Cydia aren't optimized for iOS 8 yet. Well I don't think the hotspot and icaughtya are just yet.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
"No reason to jailbreak"
Subjective. Here are some tweaks that completely change my iOS experience. Many know most of these tweaks, but for people that don't....

- Eclipse 2.0: Dark Mode for iOS and just updated for iOS 8. Sexy as hell on my black iPhone 6
Eclipse-2-main.png

- ForceGoodFit: Optimizes apps for the iPhone 6 + 6+. Not compatible with some apps, but works wonders for those that do work
- CCSettings: Customize Control Center. Also comes with a handy "kill all apps" toggle so you don't have to kill apps one by one
- Activator: Gesture based customization for almost anything in iOS
- SwipeSelection:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/0...jailbreak-tweaks-of-all-time-just-got-better/

"I don't jailbreak because I want the latest iOS updates or jailbreaking causes instability"

If you want to upgrade to a x.0 release, you can. You just lose your jailbreak temporarily. For those that are patient enough to wait for the 0.1 release, there's a good chance a jailbreak will come shortly after. My jailbroken 8.1 phone is much more stable than my non-jailbroken 8.0.2 phone.

Last edited:

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
It wasn't just me that had problems, so bite me.

I tried iTunes. You think I've been here this long and not tried that? The 3 would just reboot over and over again. I got an opinion on the problem from someone off board that said that it was a compatibility issue with something that was on my 3, and that I should have done a restore to a new iPhone before I tried breaking it. Didn't know if that would have helped, and I wasn't going to sacrifice my new 3gs to find out.

So, if jail breaking is for you, it makes you feel like a rebel, a 'bad guy', or fills a need for you, than do it. Don't slam people that tried it and had a bad result. You aren't helping anyone by doing that.

On the plus side, I have heard that it IS more stable (this one perhaps excluded?) and I *was* tempted to jail break my iPad mini, but that's as far as it got.

I wish it had worked in my case. If nothing else, just to see what it's all about. A friend of mine did his 3gs, and it worked well for him. Then he went back to iOS.

Your misfortune with the 3G and 3GS happened over 5 years ago. The Jailbreak community and the software behind it have advanced a whole lot in those years and now it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to brick a device with a jailbreak. No matter what, everything can be reversed and a backup can be restored. As someone who's jailbroken every phone since the 3GS and developed for Jailbroken devices, I can say that the Pangu 8.1 jailbreak is one of the easiest ever.

----------

I don't see any rush to jailbreak as most of the apps on Cydia aren't optimized for iOS 8 yet. Well I don't think the hotspot and icaughtya are just yet.

TetherMe has been updated for iOS8 and so have many other tweaks on Cydia.

----------

Sure I'll put a dubious warranty killing, potential phone bricking software on an £800 phone. What for, to make my phone look prettier or have a few more tricks? No thanks. What guarantees are there there's no hidden code mining my data?

I'm steering clear.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
There are still TONS of reasons to jailbreak...and those reasons vary among person to person. For example, just coming back to iOS from Android, I need to jailbreak just to get back some basic functionality. For example, here are the tweaks/apps I have installed so far:

AlarmNotifier - shows how much time remains until alarm sounds in a quick pop-up
AlwaysClear - always shows 'clear' instead of the x then clear
betterFiveIconDock - adds a fifth icon to the dock
BrowserChanger - opens links in browser of your choosing
FolderCloser - Auto closes folders after launching an app
FullFolder - Full screen folder; great for creating an 'app drawer' instead of having screen after screen of icons
OpenSSH - secure remote access between your phone and computer
Power Tap - tap the power down button to either reboot, respring, reboot to safe mode or power off
Safe Alarm - custom alarm volume level
ShowCase - Shows upper and lower case on the stock keyboard
UntetheredHeySiri - Use "Hey Siri" without the phone plugged in
Untrusted Hosts Blocker - Ad blocker
Virtual Home - Use Touch ID sensor as home button

I'm still waiting on bitesms and Turn To Hangup to become iOS 8 compatible then I'll be adding them as well.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Your post is full of inaccuracies. It does not void your warranty, restoring returns the phone to factory settings. Jailbreaking can not "brick" the device. The tweaks available enhance the overall experience. Nobody from Pangu is collecting data from you, you're not that important.

Tell that to google.

Last I check, they collect a lot of information about me. So does Apple and Microsoft, etc..

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Customers? Feedb… what? WHAT DID YOU SAY? WHIPPERSNAPPERS!

"is stable enough"
sounds like Apple's mentality towards their software

I respectfully disagree. An Apple mentality in a post-Jobs era:
  1. beat: repeatedly, with the ugly stick – as many ugly sticks as Sir can find
  2. say: the more you use my design, the more you’ll notice, and the more you’ll love it … say it … SAY IT
  3. pray: that no-one will notice the bruises.
Instead of buying up and using useful stuff like this they spend $3B on things like beats.
Silence, pretty young whippersnapper.

Sir is in charge now.

Much beating lies ahead.

STICKS COST MONEY.
COMPLETE UGLINESS WILL BE MINE.
EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

chaofahn

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Australia
If there's one I've learnt from this thread is that I should never trust the Chinese. Screw you ancestors! Grandfather! Mother! I can't trust you because all you do is spam and put Trojans in my lunch! Oh wait, I have Chinese blood in me, I can't trust myself, you damn, dirty Asian!

All sarcasm aside, I can finally jailbreak my OG iPad Mini without having to ask the missus to bring her work laptop back. Win!

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Believe what you want man, jailbreaking saves iOS products for me. No jailbreak = no buy. I don't want nanny state computers

use firewall ip7 and block all connections if you are a paranoid tin foil hatter

Nanny state? I'm happily using my devices without jailbreaking. I am not limited in any way. Just because you are limited by your own needs (or rather desires?) doesn't mean that it's some nanny-state-controlled device.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Any indication that Apple will restrict use of Apple Pay to not jb devices? Some apps already give that prompt. I want to jailbreak, but not at cost of losing Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.