Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following on last week's announcement, Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac launched today with a number of new features and refinements for users looking to run alternative operating systems in virtual environments on their Macs. As summarized on Parallels' site, the update brings enhancements to gaming and graphics, simpler setup and integration, greater manageability and mobility, and better performance.

155148-parallels_mobile.jpg
Parallels Mobile
Beyond improvements to the standard Parallels Desktop application for Mac OS X, the company has also released a new, free iOS application, Parallels Mobile, bringing remote access on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch to users running the desktop software.Parallels Mobile lets you:

* access any virtual machine running in Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac
* use any Windows application in your virtual machine, from Internet Explorer to Outlook
* remotely start, stop and reset virtual machines
* stay connected via WiFi or 3G networks
* access your Windows applications from anywhere over the Internet
* optimize for either speed or graphics performance.Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac is priced at $79.99 for an electronic download, with upgrade pricing of $49.99 available for existing users of Parallels 4 and 5. Users of Parallels 2.5 and 3, which are no longer being supported by the company, are also eligible for upgrade pricing for the next 30 days.

Parallels is also offering its Switch to Mac version with additional tools for customers new to the Mac platform, priced at $99.99.

155148-vmware_promo_banner.jpg
VMware, the primary competitor of Parallels in the consumer operating system virtualization market, has responded with an offer allowing users of any version of Parallels to switch to VMware 3 for only $9.99. Users of VMware Fusion 1 and 2 are also eligible for the discounted upgrade pricing, and the offer is valid through December 31st, 2010. Meanwhile brand new customers are offered 30% off of the retail price.

Note: VMWare and Parallels are both affiliate partners so sales from these links support this site financially

Article Link: Parallels Desktop 6 Now Available With Remote Access for iOS Devices, VMware Offers Discount

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Okay so I bought into the new version of Parallels. Now my VM is pretty much broken as Parallel Tools will not install. It gets to the very end of the installation and always rolls back instead of completing. If anyone knows a fix I would love to hear it.

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Hmm... so here's hoping they've fixed it so that our lovingly-crafted NeXTSTEP virtual machines will work again.. (they haven't since Pllels 3.0).

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Sweet, my Parallels 5 trial ends in 3 days. :D

Time to use my other fake email and try Parallels 6 for two more weeks. :cool:

Gotta love free stuff.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
Have Parallels 3, but can't use with Snow Leopard. Haven't needed it until now... But can someone convince me why I shouldn't go with VMware for $10? That's pretty attractive...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I've been a happy VM user since it was released. Originally I used Parallels 2.5 but it caused me too many headaches. But Parallels 6 looks intriguing, especially the iPad support. But usually VM and Parallels are right on each other's tails as far as features go. Any one know when the next major version of VM is due?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Outlook: Holy Moly, is that ever a cluttered pile of crap or what? I’m surprised there isn’t a DNA chart of the person you’re emailing along with grid coordinates and ancestry history.

You should see the new MS Office on pc with low resolution display. The non-menu part by default is like 50% of the display. Hilariously bad design by Microsoft...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have no use for either. But great stuff if you do.

And please use the links and support MR.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
I was initially a Parallel's user but after two versions switched to VMWare. Best thing I ever did. VMWare's biggest selling point is it's stability and speed. I'm happy competition is there to continue spurring development, but it would have to be a very compelling reason for me to switch back to Parallels.

netsql

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2005
Parallels...

I bought it... try to run Linux as guest. It worn't install parallels tools for linux.
So if you need a linux guest, use VMWare.
Then they asked for $50 to upgrade me to new version.
Bye, bye parallels.

biggreydog

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
Why Bother?

With AutoCAD soon coming to the Mac, the only need I'll have for Windows is to run the government-required software they hired someone to develop. They (government) should consider developing only web-based applications. Only then will I be free! (Provided, however, they don't use Flash).

JakeDTS

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Parallels vs Fusion

I am a long time reader of this site and a long time user of VM Wares Fusion for Mac. I run two machines in a windows network with XP virtualized and I haven't been so happy lately.

VM Ware tools never install correctly and the clock on one of the machines doesn't keep time. I was happy for a long time with just being able to run XP in the network but now that it's been a couple years, I want to go to something that works better. When it was time to choose between them a couple years back, I just picked one and ran with it.

I understand this just came out today so there probably wont be much response but if anyone can shed some light on parallels and if it stands up better than fusion, I'd be appreciative of any comparisons.

Thanks!!!

wakemac

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
NC
Anyone tried the remote access yet? I'm currently very happy with Parallels 5, but would upgrade for this feature if it works well.

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
So THAT explains way "Virtual Box" is not even mentioned in the article. Those who pay get the editorial coverage?

Take a look at it here. It is a free open source competitor to both VMWare and Parallels.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

Cause they're totally gonna mention every single virtualization software even if there's no news about it.

I'm pretty sure Virtual Box is not mentioned because they haven't actually updated anything.

If Virtual Box updated, then I can understand. But what, they're gonna say "Parallels Desktop 6 Now Available With Remote Access for iOS Devices, VMware Offers Discount, Virtual Box exists"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.