Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richbass79

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Man $10 for VMW, tough to not pass that up... I'm using Parallels 5 now, but its a bit slow and laggy... was going to jump on 6, but $50 vs $10 tough call

I'm in the same situation as you. I've found Parallels 5 to be quite laggy so am interested to try VMW for $10 rather than fork out $50 for probably a not so imrpoved version of Parallels 6

infomatique

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
I had a similar problem

It took hours for the tools to install and at some stage I got the dreaded microsoft blue screen. I rebooted the apple machine and after about three hours Win 7 began to function correctly.

I must admit that I have not seen any improvement in performance to-date.

Okay so I bought into the new version of Parallels. Now my VM is pretty much broken as Parallel Tools will not install. It gets to the very end of the installation and always rolls back instead of completing. If anyone knows a fix I would love to hear it.

infomatique

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
VMware

I'm in the same situation as you. I've found Parallels 5 to be quite laggy so am interested to try VMW for $10 rather than fork out $50 for probably a not so imrpoved version of Parallels 6

I have both and while I suspect that VMware is actually better than Parallels I actually prefer Parallels. At $10 you should try VMware but I have never successfully migrated from one to the other ... there has always been some problem which prevented the migration.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I still haven't decided yet on whether to get Fusion 3 for $10 or Parallels 6 for $30 after rebate from Amazon.

Seems that Parallels is faster.
VMware Fusion might be more stable?

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
No more support for Win98SE

I had a win98 vm that used to work on Parallels 5 but on version 6, a dialog pops up that says win98 is no longer supported. I wish they had mentioned that feature before I "upgraded" - Hey parallels, guess what- Some of use your product because of legacy systems!

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I work in a Win7 VM all day every day. I tried Parallels, virtual box, and VMWare. Virtual box crashed a couple of times so it was eliminated from the running. Parallels ran okay, but it seemed aimed more towards home use with games and it to crashed once or twice. VMWare has been solid for months so that's what I've used. Keep mind my criteria may not be the same as everyone else's:

stability > speed > features

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
They /did/ work yesterday morning. My original post was meant to pass the info to other people—and the SS to prove I wasn't lying, which I am not. If it doesn't work now, something changed. Sorry about your luck.

Thanks for posting it rKunda, its good info to know the deal did exist at some point even if it did change, The deal could come back. Ignore all the jealous negative types who love to shoot down anyone, for anything. The rest of us appreciate the posts.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
I still haven't decided yet on whether to get Fusion 3 for $10 or Parallels 6 for $30 after rebate from Amazon.

I have been happy with Fusion 3. I am not a gamer but use Fusion mostly for development and testing. I run a mix of SLES, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and XP VM's.
Getting Fusion 3 for $10 sounds like a steal.

tschull

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Check Antivirus Software

Okay so I bought into the new version of Parallels. Now my VM is pretty much broken as Parallel Tools will not install. It gets to the very end of the installation and always rolls back instead of completing. If anyone knows a fix I would love to hear it.

I had a similar experience. A Parallels tech finally figured it out: I had not one but two copies of antivirus software running. The extra copy was left over from a VMWare install. My blunder aside, I would suggest that you disable any antivirus software running on the VM before running the tool installer and see if it helps.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I have been happy with Fusion 3. I am not a gamer but use Fusion mostly for development and testing. I run a mix of SLES, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and XP VM's.

Not a gamer either. If I want to play games, I'll play it on my PC.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Parallels Mobile
Beyond improvements to the standard Parallels Desktop application for Mac OS X, the company has also released a new, free iOS application, Parallels Mobile, bringing remote access on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch to users running the desktop software...

Hm... can anyone tell me what sense it makes to access a Windows VM with an iPad? I am always excited about things that improve the way I work, but this does not make any sense to me, except that it has a certain toy factor, which will be worn of within minutes...

Anybody?

groovebuster

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I work in a Win7 VM all day every day. I tried Parallels, virtual box, and VMWare. Virtual box crashed a couple of times so it was eliminated from the running. Parallels ran okay, but it seemed aimed more towards home use with games and it to crashed once or twice. VMWare has been solid for months so that's what I've used. Keep mind my criteria may not be the same as everyone else's:

stability > speed > features

Anybody have thoughts on running IE, which solution would be best? Pretty much just looking at IE, for legacy websites, no other Win apps. This would also be an all-day, every day, business application, not messing around at home. I have Parallels 5 at home, no real reason to upgrade that for my home needs.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Hm... can anyone tell me what sense it makes to access a Windows VM with an iPad? I am always excited about things that improve the way I work, but this does not make any sense to me, except that it has a certain toy factor, which will be worn of within minutes...

Anybody?

groovebuster

I want to access our Win server from an iPad, and am mostly decided on iTap RDP for that purpose. I'm not sure that Parallels Mobile would be an improvement over a normal RDP setup.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Anybody have thoughts on running IE, which solution would be best? Pretty much just looking at IE, for legacy websites, no other Win apps. This would also be an all-day, every day, business application, not messing around at home. I have Parallels 5 at home, no real reason to upgrade that for my home needs.

VMWare has been solid for me so that's what I would recommend. If you're testing sites with IE look for the IE combo pack on the internet. It comes with every version of IE in a self contained package. It's a godsend when I'm developing public consumption sites.

Jared703

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I've also been very happy with fusion 3. I have a copy through grad school and have no complaints so far- i've been using it regularly since may. I have created multiple VM's including win7, XP, Ubuntu and Backtrack 4.

GoldenGecko

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
Parallels experience

I have a Mac Pro (2x3GHz Xeon processors, 4GB 800MHz memory), and Parallels regularly takes 20-30 minutes to start and boot Windows 7, and then runs so slowly a lot of the time that it's completely unusable. I did manage to improve things by disabling all of the sharing of folders, desktop etc, but it's still seriously slow. I previously tried Fusion, but had some issues with it too. On my MacBook, fusion worked acceptably, but I still had issues with Parallels.

But one thing that really makes me want to give Parallels another shot is that they have excellent customer support. They spent a *lot* of time working through issues with me in the previous version to get it running, and have been really good to deal with. I have tried to use the Fusion support, and it sucks big time. Feels like a huge corporation who just don't care at all. I also visited the Fusion stand at a show in London, and asked some questions, and they tried to just avoid the questions and give some marketing bs saying it was wonderful and they were sure it would do whatever I wanted. Very not happy...

The only thing that is holding me back from upgrading to Parallels 6 is the upgrade price (and confirming that it fixes the performance issues). My expectation for software is that upgrade prices should be somewhere about 25-30% of the original purchase price. $50 for the upgrade of a product that retails for $80 just seems ridiculous.

Fusion's $10 offer sounds appealing, but my experience with their support was so bad that I just *never* want to do business with them again, period.

dukedvl

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008

If you have a previous version of Parallels or Fusion and you buy Parallels 5 you qualify for an additional $20 competitive rebate which will also make Parallels 6 only $10.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I had Parallels 5 and recently installed Parallels 6 over it.

I am using it in lieu of Bootcamp for almost all my Windows needs. The primary reason I started using it was for VPN at work and running iSeries Access (think green screen and gui access to a mid range computer - how something with 32 processors is mid range I will never know). After my company moved to a more neutral VPN provider, meaning it had Mac support, my needs for Bootcamp/Parallels is simply for gaming.

Currently I am running Lord of the Rings Online through Parallels. I did try it through Bootcamp and it ran exactly one time before blue screening any other attempt to run it. Here is the odd thing, it does not blue screen when run under Parallels. I run the game at 1900x1200 with most settings at high, the size of game items at 2560x1440 is just too small.

I use a first generation i5 iMac with 8gb of memory. I dedicate 3 processors and 4gb of memory to run XP/SP3 while using LOTRO. If I could dedicate fractional parts of the processing power I would bump it up. Going between full screen Windows and back to the iMac is as simple as moving the mouse to the top left corner of the screen. If Windows is in full screen and an application locks pressing CTRL and ALT has always freed the mouse and keyboard allowing me dump the VM.

I plan on running CIV5 next through Parallels. Being able to pop a window with Windows in it makes for an easy way to have a "second machine" without having the second machine. That applications running with in this window think they are full screen when they are not is even better. As in, I can run LOTRO full screen within a window on my OS X desktop.

I didn't have upgrade problems from v5 to v6. I had some initial install hiccups when doing v5 but that was most likely me not reading instructions well enough.

mikesims10670

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Fusion is too slow

Have Parallels 3, but can't use with Snow Leopard. Haven't needed it until now... But can someone convince me why I shouldn't go with VMware for $10? That's pretty attractive...

I had to switch from VMWare to Parallels because Windows was very sluggish on VMWare ... to the point where the mouse pointer was jerky and when I launched more than one VM forget it! Oh any my specs? Late 2008 MacPro - dual 2.8 Quad core Xeons, 24 gigs of ram and over 10TB of storage all together with my osx boot volume AND THE VM existing on a SSD drive. The system was no slouch and I had my VM optimized to the nth degree with VMWares help even to no avail.

I switched from Fusion 3 to Parallels 5 and migrated that very same VM (Windows 7 x64 dedicated 8 gigs RAM, 20 gigs free out of a 60 gig virtual HD and max video resources to it) into Parallels and it runs like a dream (not a re-install, but a simple conversion from Fusion into Parallels, I wanted to see what Parallels would do with the exact same install)! I upgraded to 6 and it now boots and shuts down in around 10 seconds and apps pop like nobody's business.

I should mention that my buddy has a 27" iMac with a core i7 and he has no problems with performance with Fusion and Windows 7 x64 (he has 16 gigs of ram in his iMac) ... so it could be something with the MacPro ... who knows.

I would spend the $9 on Fusion just to have it for comparison, but I will never use Fusion in production on a mac ever again unless they have a major come to Jesus meeting over there and get their spaghetti code fixed!

Mike

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Should I uninstall Parallels 5 before installing Parallels 6? Is it recommended to do so?

mikesims10670

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
The only thing that is holding me back from upgrading to Parallels 6 is the upgrade price (and confirming that it fixes the performance issues). My expectation for software is that upgrade prices should be somewhere about 25-30% of the original purchase price. $50 for the upgrade of a product that retails for $80 just seems ridiculous.

I would have paid the full $80 for the upgrade. My Parallels machine went from roughly 30 second boot times down to 10 and my apps pop like they never have before.

Why not get the trial and see if it works for you? If it does, shell out the $50 and be a happy camper!

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.