Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
god you guys are crazy. if anyone disses your baby (apple), you get all negative. but you will bash it left and right when you get the chance. Samsung, windows, paypal, google.. are there any others that you all hate?

sirwoodland

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
I'm not sure why PayPal would be so nervous as to do attack ads on Apple since they operate solely on online transactions.

Wrong. PayPal is in a lot of brick and mortar... Just bought some stuff from Home Depot last weekend and didn't have to pull my wallet or phone out, just typed in my mobile payment pin and was done. There are also many stores/restaurants that allow you to order through your phone, or scan items as you walk around and pay via PayPal without having to wait or stand in a line. I really enjoy it myself, and I don't mind that PayPal is taking a few jabs... Good for them for rising to the occasion. Nobody here should be hurt about it.

whatRubicon

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
Hey I don't know if people know but the iCloud hacking is really widespread more than whats in the public eye. I have a coworker that brought me her iPhone and someone was sending messages from iMessage to her husband looking at the pictures on her phone saying she had a cute kid and all of that. Apples response at the apple store was turn off iMessage because it was still going on after she changed all her passwords. Then she got forwarded up to some people that wouldn't even say his title working from his home in Colorado. The end result was try this and see if it still happens with no reassurance that whomever hacked her account still couldn't see her texts and pictures. Apples system is compromised. This is really scary and a huge invasion of privacy how safe is apples eco system with everything going on.. Now they are not including certain cloud features in ios8 now. Makes me wonder how bad is the security in their stuff right now. I have seen the text with my own eyes if you want i can try to get screen shots. This should be reported on.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Hey I don't know if people know but the iCloud hacking is really widespread more than whats in the public eye. I have a coworker that brought me her iPhone and someone was sending messages from iMessage to her husband looking at the pictures on her phone saying she had a cute kid and all of that. Apples response at the apple store was turn off iMessage because it was still going on after she changed all her passwords. Then she got forwarded up to some people that wouldn't even say his title working from his home in Colorado. The end result was try this and see if it still happens with no reassurance that whomever hacked her account still couldn't see her texts and pictures. Apples system is compromised. This is really scary and a huge invasion of privacy how safe is apples eco system with everything going on.. Now they are not including certain cloud features in ios8 now. Makes me wonder how bad is the security in their stuff right now. I have seen the text with my own eyes if you want i can try to get screen shots. This should be reported on.

Do you think the same servers that handle iCloud and iMessage are the same servers that handle ApplePay?

BTW... iCloud wasn't "hacked" as much as it was a targeted phishing expedition and password guessing. (I do hold Apple responsible for allowing unlimited password retries though... but I think that has been fixed)

On the other hand... Google was actually hacked and 5 million passwords were stolen.

So no one should ever use Google Wallet anymore, right?

geo1378

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2014
Not a fan of any company owned by ebay. I deal with PayPal for my online business because I get 1.5% cash back and it gives me 80 dollars a month. I'd switch to another company for my credit card transactions if I could get a debit card with 1.5% cash back rewards. But it's hard to give up 80 free dollars or more a month. Still hate then

Rob`

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
PayPal is one of the worst blood sucking corporations on the planet. I'll go out of my way to use ApplePay just to help apple stomp all over them.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Dude iCloud wAs hacked I saw this **** with my own eyes cause I tried to fix it for the lady.. I would change the password and this guy was still texting from her iMessage account.. Apple is a ****ing lying it would be bad press if they came out and said there **** was hacked. When ios8 comes out on Wednesday they are not including a lot of iCloud features now. Why??? Cause of **** like this here. And if apple can't even keep this from getting hacked and is completely clueless then I do not trust them with my payment info.. I will wait to see this is a new system not proven and hasn't been even launched yet and your defending it???? Really ? Damn sheep

You're right. Apple can't be trusted. Burn the witches!

Here is a list of other companies who can't be trusted either:

PayPal (ironic since they're the subject of this article)
Google
Amazon EC2
Epsilon
Sony
Global Payment Systems
Zappos
Adobe
Target
Neiman Marcus
Yahoo
Michaels
Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, Westin

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
closing my ebay and paypal account now.

Was eBay member since 1998 and PayPal member since 2000. Closed both of them this year after that eBay hack when they didn't tell us for weeks and weeks. eBay is just a dollar store now. Used to buy great collectibles. Now I can get the same crap at my local Wal-Mart that I can buy on eBay. What a joke.

----------

Not a fan of any company owned by ebay. I deal with PayPal for my online business because I get 1.5% cash back and it gives me 80 dollars a month. I'd switch to another company for my credit card transactions if I could get a debit card with 1.5% cash back rewards. But it's hard to give up 80 free dollars or more a month. Still hate then

I remember when they used to have a money market option, of like 3% looooooong ago. That was nice for a while.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Could Apple not sue them for libel at this point? It's been said enough times that it was a user-end breach, not an iCloud vulnerability, so clamoring on about Apple having weak security when there is substantial evidence to the contrary seems like defamation to me.

Paypal has never called them liars and doesn't call them out directly. So it would be a hard case to make. And frankly I don't think Apple would stoop to giving them the attention. Cook et al know how secure the system is. They have done a dang good job of explaining the system without giving away vital details. Let Paypal try to snark. Bloggers etc will point out that they are not "without sin" just as MR did

----------

The main benefit of ApplePay was for NFC payments at brick and mortar locations. I'm not sure why PayPal would be so nervous as to do attack ads on Apple since they operate solely on online transactions. Sure ApplePay can be used online, but PayPal is more prevalent and offered as an option in many many more places.

One of the reasons that Paypal has been so popular with online purchases was that you don't have to enter your actual credit card number. A condition Apple is also providing. So we will see if folks continue to sign up for and use paypal or just let Apple Pay handle it

----------

Not to mention the photos were stolen from all different platforms--not from Apple users specifically.

i believe two accounts were confirmed as iCloud users and the contents could have been on iCloud. But otherwise, you are correct that we really have no idea.

----------

Hey I don't know if people know but the iCloud hacking is really widespread more than whats in the public eye. I have a coworker that brought me her iPhone

One personal anecdote does not 'widespread' make. Even adding that to the handful of confirmed iCloud users in the celeb thing does not a widespread situation make. Especially when you compare that to the millions of credit cards exposed during the Target hack, the millions during the Home Depot hack, the paypal/ebay hack of this past spring, the recent gmail hack and so on.

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
I'm all for apple pay

It's so easy to be frauded on paypal. All a crook has to do Is file a chargeback with their credit card and paypal leaves you holding the bag. Simple as that. You have zero chance of defending yourself. I've been burned on eBay too many times.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Good to see PayPal is scared of Apple Pay. That's the first sign of a market shakeup. I'm also glad that people won't let Apple off the hook for this security flaw. You may be surprised to find out that anyone can reset an iCloud password, gaining access to your information, only by correctly answering three security questions. No verification email required (but that also works on its own). Try it for yourself on your account. After I found that out, I decided to trust iCloud even less. Two-step authentication prevents this, but it's annoying, not commonly used, and shouldn't be necessary in the first place!

----------

It's so easy to be frauded on paypal. All a crook has to do Is file a chargeback with their credit card and paypal leaves you holding the bag. Simple as that. You have zero chance of defending yourself. I've been burned on eBay too many times.

Sorry to hear this, and it's true. eBay is not about "buyer beware" but about "seller beware". I've had bad experiences selling as well. Buying has always been fine. Secondly, PayPal is being glitchy and for some reason refuses to work with my Chase account, so I'm annoyed. Plus more annoyance for PayPal being the only thing I can use.

jonathan1683

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2011
screw paypal I emailed apple begging them not to get in bed with them when those rumors were floating around. glad they didn't I hope PayPal burns.

Solarioc

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
The main benefit of ApplePay was for NFC payments at brick and mortar locations. I'm not sure why PayPal would be so nervous as to do attack ads on Apple since they operate solely on online transactions. Sure ApplePay can be used online, but PayPal is more prevalent and offered as an option in many many more places. I use PayPal and have no problem with them buying things online. In fact I prefer to use them for online payments. Now I can't wait when ApplePay becomes available in Canada, but I believe the two can co-exist quite well. So chill PayPal baby baby chill.

PayPal also has the same thing in many POS systems. You can pay with your PayPal account at other retailers. So in essence you don't need a card. With apple pay you can use your own accounts and not require funds in a third party location.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
PayPal also has the same thing in many POS systems. You can pay with your PayPal account at other retailers. So in essence you don't need a card. With apple pay you can use your own accounts and not require funds in a third party location.

Doesn't seem like something which had been rolled out to the masses, whereas Apple Pay will be available at most retailers.

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Out of all the companies in the world it comes from Paypal...! Bwahahahhaahaha... I fell off my chair laughing...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Am I the only one who reads the poster (main part) as apple rule.

P PayPal
People Rule

P PayPal
Apple Rule

Maybe it's the distance or I just woke up

fOoLiX

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Could Apple not sue them for libel at this point? It's been said enough times that it was a user-end breach, not an iCloud vulnerability, so clamoring on about Apple having weak security when there is substantial evidence to the contrary seems like defamation to me.
Even if it was people having weak passwords it is poor security that any system can be hacked by brute force. Why weren't the accounts locked after 3 attempts?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
god you guys are crazy. if anyone disses your baby (apple), you get all negative. but you will bash it left and right when you get the chance. Samsung, windows, paypal, google.. are there any others that you all hate?

No just PayPal when they took 1k during a case. Neither I or the seller ever saw the money the money in the end. PayPal support was non existent. Apple, however, did not steal 1k from me.

Notice everyone's complaints are very specific and very personal dealings with PayPal. The ad just reminded everyone of how shady PayPal is.

----------

----------

[/COLOR]

I've had many clients be burned monthly. Transactions come in, address verified, cvv2 verified. Customer files chargeback, PayPal sends them money no questions asked. No customer support that can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
A while back I sold something on eBay and it was paid for using PayPal, sent my item to the address PayPal told me to and then a few days later PayPal took back £90, the account had been hacked. Safer money, don't make me laugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.