Peacock TV Streaming Service Arrives on iOS and Apple TV

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NBC Universal's Peacock streaming service launched nationally today, adding another competitor to the crowded streaming market that already includes Apple TV+, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and Hulu.

The service, which became available to some Comcast subscribers in April, is now available on iOS and Apple TV, and operates a free tier and a premium tier.

The free tier includes 13,000 hours of programming, while the premium tier costs $4.99 a month and features over 20,000 hours of TV, movies, news, sports and other content produced by NBC Television, NBC News, and Universal.

Both tiers include commercials, but the premium tier runs fewer ads and offers access to new original content, such as the dystopian drama "Brave New World," as well as access to shows the day after they're broadcast on TV. Peacock also offers an ad-free "premium plus" tier that costs $9.99 a month.

The service features NBC shows such as "30 Rock," "Cheers," "Downton Abbey," and "Saturday Night Live," with live sporting events to include four exclusive English Premier League matches on July 15 as well as coverage of the U.S. Open Championship.

Like HBO Max, Peacock is not available on Amazon Fire TV or Roku. According to CNBC, NBCUniversal does not want want Peacock to be included in Amazon Channels, where Amazon would take a cut of new subscriptions and would be the one collecting credit card information and other user data.

As for Roku, NBC Universal was reportedly unable to agree on how much of Peacock's ad inventory the smart TV platform can sell.

That's left the Apple TV set-top box as the main beneficiary, as it gets to add yet another name to its exclusive list of supported streaming services.

Article Link: Peacock TV Streaming Service Arrives on iOS and Apple TV

Reactions: Vanilla35

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Is it available for Android TV? I like to have all in one spot and by now my Apple TV has become kind of redundant since I don’t have the 4K Version

edit: is it down? The tiles which are supposed to show their content are just black on my iPad and their website doesn’t seem to work properly either

Last edited:

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Is it available outside the US of A?
of course not

Anyone actually able to login on Peacock on ATV? Works on my iPhone but same creds refuses on ATV. Wondering if they are waiting to charge the preorder year deal. Very weird.
doesnt work for me either on Apple TV, says incorrect credentials when I just logged into successfully on my iPad. Free version

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68020
Feb 24, 2009
I’ve been using this since it launched on Xfinity several months ago.

I was told it would give access to late night shows several hours early every night, but I’ve never been able to find it. Has anyone had success finding this or has the feature been pulled?
- - Post merged: - -

I have a simple rule: If I’m paying, commercials are not acceptable.
Then pay for it.

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Then pay for the ad free version
From the article: “Both tiers include commercials, but the premium tier runs fewer ads...” (emphasis added)

Disregard. I missed the remainder. Sorry.

Last edited:

ck2875

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
From the article: “Both tiers include commercials, but the premium tier runs fewer ads...” (emphasis added)
Also from the article: The third tier that is ad free...

The free tier includes 13,000 hours of programming, while the premium tier costs $4.99 a month and features over 20,000 hours of TV, movies, news, sports and other content produced by NBC Television, NBC News, and Universal.

Both tiers include commercials, but the premium tier runs fewer ads and offers access to new original content, such as the dystopian drama "Brave New World," as well as access to shows the day after they're broadcast on TV. Peacock also offers an ad-free "premium plus" tier that costs $9.99 a month.
It was literally the next sentence after the one you selectively choose to read/quote.

Reactions: jwdsail and Lazy

nycSAN

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
The problem with Peacock as I see it is that it fails mission 1: it focuses on curated clips, weird channels, and a pseudo tv guide of stuff “on now” (a paradigm that makes no sense) instead of leveraging the full library of it’s content.

The main pull of this service should be next day streaming of current seasons of all NBCU channels, including USA, bravo, syfy, msnbc, plus live streaming of all news channels. Catalog content should be the “bonus”. I’d pay for a service like this.

phillytim

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Now if Xfinity would just allow their "Xfinity Stream" app on our Apple TV boxes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I downloaded the app this morning, Peacock is not giving me an option to use my Xfinity tv subscription - only sign-in is for an email account. It's not like other apps that give you an option to use your cable provider.

Last night I finally broke down and bought Animal Crossing New Horizons for my Nintendo Switch - seemed like a more productive use of my time rather than this lame Peacock service.

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68020
Feb 24, 2009
Now if Xfinity would just allow their "Xfinity Stream" app on our Apple TV boxes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I downloaded the app this morning, Peacock is not giving me an option to use my Xfinity tv subscription - only sign-in is for an email account. It's not like other apps that give you an option to use your cable provider.
For real, I wish Xfinity would put their Stream app on Apple TV. It's on Roku which has way more market share so it can't be about them wanting to get more box rental fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.