Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
So last night the PhoneBuff youtube channel released their iphone 8 plus vs note 8 speed test.

I get it this isnt the most scientific test but last year the iphone 7 plus was the fastest all year until the oneplus 5 beat it.

I was very much expecting the iphone 8 plus to do the same this year especially with the all the great stuff we have been hearing about the A11 (I know benchmarks arent everything but they are somewhat indicative of the performance you can expect)

Many believe there needs to be further optimization to ios 11 to get there and granted that may be the case but last year with ios 10 it was optimized enough right out of the gate to become the "fastest" phone around.

It seems this year everything from ios 11 to the iphone x have been rushed. Is Apple losing the qualities that have traditionally made it great? Are we finally seeing the negative effects of Steve Jobs' absence? I dont know what it is but would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I was also surprised by this test. Now, I’m very curious about comparing the results of the iPhone 8 to the iPhone 7.

Edit:
I went back and found the results. The iPhone 7 Plus’ times were
Lap 1 Times - 1:13.41, 1:26.74, 1:17.32
Total Times - 1:46.41, 1:58.26, 1:50.61

iPhone 8 Plus’ times
Lap 1 - 1:27.79
Total Time - 2:07.79

In other words, the iPhone 8 Plus’ memory management (at least in iOS 11.0.0) is WORSE than in the iPhone 7 Plus’. And it wasn’t even close!

Wow.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I think a lot of it is apps not being optimized
But then why didn't it happen with 6s or 7 when they launched?
[doublepost=1506610836][/doublepost]
I was also surprised by this test. Now, I’m very curious about comparing the results of the iPhone 8 to the iPhone 7.

Edit:
I went back and found the results. The iPhone 7 Plus’ times were
Lap 1 Times - 1:13.41, 1:26.74, 1:17.32
Total Times - 1:46.41, 1:58.26, 1:50.61

iPhone 8 Plus’ times
Lap 1 - 1:27.79
Total Time - 2:07.79

In other words, the iPhone 8 Plus’ memory management (at least in iOS 11.0.0) is WORSE than in the iPhone 7 Plus’. And it wasn’t even close!

Wow.
Or maybe iOS 11 needs more than 3gb of ram. Remember 6 Plus had atrocious ram management when it launched on iOS 8.

Reactions: BeeGood

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
But then why didn't it happen with 6s or 7 when they launched?
[doublepost=1506610836][/doublepost]
Or maybe iOS 11 needs more than 3gb of ram. Remember 6 Plus had atrocious ram management when it launched on iOS 8.
6 Plus was a crippled phone the day it launched. It was probably the worst iPhone I had, especially since I had touch disease.

The only thing I liked was the 5.5" screen.

dulaney22

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
There's no doubt the 8 plus is stuttering right now. Mine has frozen a couple times and lagged like most iPhones don't. Just updated this morning so hopefully that's fixed. I had an S* Plus and it felt quicker. Wasn't as smooth, but was quicker.

Reactions: jamesrick80

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Figures don't lie and liars don't figure - but I'm struggling to see how this is possible since the 7 Plus smoked it and the 8 Plus is faster than the 7 Plus?

I guess it's the 3gb of RAM vs 6gb of RAM that caused this since the iPhone was faster on lap 1 and only fell behind when re-opening apps, but the 7 Plus had the same 3gb of RAM and still beat the Note 8.

Weird.

I'll still take the iPhone all day though.

Reactions: andjew94

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
WTF does this prove?

I'm not entirely sure, but what I do know is that many many people who love and use iPhones/Apple products have used the results of these tests to shout from the mountaintops that they have the fastest phone on the planet, regardless of specs.

Now that we get a result we don't like, we can't say "WTF, this proves nothing!"

Oliveira46

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
Figures don't lie and liars don't figure - but I'm struggling to see how this is possible since the 7 Plus smoked it and the 8 Plus is faster than the 7 Plus?

I guess it's the 3gb of RAM vs 6gb of RAM that caused this since the iPhone was faster on lap 1 and only fell behind when re-opening apps, but the 7 Plus had the same 3gb of RAM and still beat the Note 8.

Weird.

I'll still take the iPhone all day though.

Has to be iOS11 bug or lack of optimization. I've been following this channel speedtests, and iphone 7 never restarted apps, and that's where it blowed away the Androids...

Even the 2gb iphone models didn't reload apps:

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
I'm not entirely sure, but what I do know is that many many people who love and use iPhones/Apple products have used the results of these tests to shout from the mountaintops that they have the fastest phone on the planet, regardless of specs.

Now that we get a result we don't like, we can't say "WTF, this proves nothing!"

No it's just that this isn't the chip that's causing these minor result differences (and I mean so minor that not a single person will notice in real-life even if they have and use the Note 8 and 8 plus) IOS is just not build for the power atm. Multitasking is buggy and the animations are too long.

Reactions: nj1266

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I like these tests. It shows that:
- 6GB RAM is the sweet spot for Android. Galaxy S8 with 4GB of RAM got smoked by OnePlus with 6GB of RAM. Of course, it shows how unoptimized the OS is if you need as much memory as most PCs out there on a phone.
- Apple needs to work at those UI animations. They were nice when the hardware was having a hard time keeping up, to simulate smoothness. However, today it only "slows" down the usability when users have to "wait" for the animations. A few seconds here and there for years adds up!
- iOS11 still needs some work to be optimized

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
No it's just that this isn't the chip that's causing these minor result differences (and I mean so minor that not a single person will notice in real-life even if they have and use the Note 8 and 8 plus) IOS is just not build for the power atm. Multitasking is buggy and the animations are too long.

Oh yeah, real-world performance differences will be negligible.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

it doesn't prove anything

if you want a real test compare the video encoding times or the frame rate along with graphical quality of games

opening and closing apps proves nothing

Reactions: chabig

kngqw

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2015
Romania
it doesn't prove anything

if you want a real test compare the video encoding times or the frame rate along with graphical quality of games

opening and closing apps proves nothing

On the contrary, real use means opening and closing apps, I do that everyday.

iOS 11 it’s a mess on my iPhone 7, clean install and everything.

Lag everywhere.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It’s an iOS 11 issue with optimization. A11 and Apple’s own third-generation storage controller (SSD) should smoke the Note 8 and all other phones out there.

^^^^
This is absolutely what is going on. Give developers time to optimize everything for the new A11 chip so all cores are being utilized and you’ll see the S8/note 8 fall well behind. Considering an iPhone 7+ is more than a match for the S8/note 8, it’s only logical to infer the iPhone 8 is moving into a new frontier where it has too much processing power to deal with the apps that are out now.

Reactions: BeeGood and macTW

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I like this guys Speedtest, but unlike him I activate “reduce motion” in settings. Makes the phones much faster, it’s funny because a couple of times the iPhone loses simply because of the stupid animations Apples added to everything.

I do remember the 7+ winning, so it’s only logical iOS 11 is the problem. It’s a freakin mess, on my 8+ it isn’t too bad, but even on my 12.9 2’nd gen every time I unlock the device it literally -freezes- for several seconds and I just have to sit and watch the home screen before it’ll let me select anything. Still no excuse.

Reactions: BeeGood and nj1266

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I thought these tests didn't mean anything? Haha to be honest though, likely just a ram management issue on 11.0. I would be interested to see if 11.0.1 or 11.1 fixes this.

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.