Plan to purchase a 2.4 Macbook, but would like to know why it has so much trouble...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gixxerredliner, Feb 4, 2009.

1. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

With flash based websites???

I actually used one and seen first hand how much trouble they had handeling websites such as youtube and other video streaming sites. One gentleman said Apple planned to release an update that would allow macbooks to better stream youtube videos and other such websites. So my question is have you guys heard anything?

2. marvel2 macrumors 6502

It had trouble with Youtube? No. It was probably a slow connection.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Not sure what you mean. My MacBook from May '06 will show a YouTube video as well as many other web videos (ABC, NBC, Fancast, etc..). I would think that a new one would be able to do the same. Are you sure that it's not your internet connection?

4. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Sir

Have you ever turned on your activity monitor while watching youtube? safari uses 50% plus of your CPU just to run a video in youtube. That has nothing to do with my connection which is by the way the fastest you can have. I didnt say they wont play but it uses alot of the resources of the CPU just to play a basic youtube video and someone told me apple was going to release a updated flash so that macbooks in general dont expierence this problem.

5. damov2 macrumors regular

There is nothing wrong with streaming youtube videos on a MB, see Screen shot noting iStat in the menu bar. This is from my new Nvidia whitebook.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. marvel2 macrumors 6502

No problems. It runs the same as any other computer.

7. damov2 macrumors regular

I've just realized you are the same troll who started a thread the other day on the same subject.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=640668

8. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Sir

Once again I am referring the fact that when watching youtube, movie6.net, etc... the macbook uses 50% to 90% of the cpu just the view those websites. Sometimes even forcing the FAN to cut on to cool the macbook.

9. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Wow

So i come into the forum and state, "has apple released a update" didnt say anything negative towards macs, didnt compare them to PC's etc... and now im a troll? i believe you really need to stop being so defensive towards your mac, i am not bashing it i am asking have they released an update regarding the macs being able to handle flash.

P.S.
    you spelled "realized" wrong.

10. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Mine plays youtube videos just fine. Starting a new thread on this topic every few days isn't going to change anything. If you don't like the way the Mac handles something, a simple answer is to just not buy one. Flash uses a lot of CPU power, sure. I have never found it to be an issue, because when I'm watching a video, I have no need to do anything else that's CPU intensive.

11. muldul macrumors 6502

What?! I have never had problem with youtube before. It was probably just a laggy connection (was it in a store?)

12. dquattlebum macrumors member

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Just quick heads up here, flash is a very processor intensive bit of software which, among it's other popular uses, is used on youtube. You should find similar processor hogging on most computers out there, but as long as the video is playing (and not stuttering) I wouldn't worry about it.

14. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

And I always wondered why they had fans in computers :rolleyes:

15. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Wow... How about, don't buy a mac if you don't want to. There's a novel solution.

I have had no trouble on my macbook playing anything, either in OSX or my Win & install. Spec wise it's the same as any other notebook you might buy for approximately ~1000. You pay a premium to run OSX on it.

If you want to complain about a real problem, then complain about the trackpad drivers for windows. Those still suck on the macbook.

16. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Well you are kinda trolling, because there is nothing to update relating to YouTube. Just because one worked badly, and it was in a store, and a not well informed worker told you an update is coming, doesn't mean it's all true. The last person Apple would let know about an update before it even happens are the workers.

17. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Just to clarify: If a computer is on, the fan is on and spinning. In a near resting state, the speed is slow and fairly inaudible. When it spins faster it becomes more audible. If you have a computer that has a fan that doesn't spin, a repair may be necessary to ensure that damage from overheating does not occur.

18. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

You seem to be the only one with a problem. Care to show us a screengrab? :cool:

19. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

you also have your choice of opera, firefox, and google chrome (just to name a few).

i dont use safari because they are faster browsers that exist.
    but even when i HAVE used safari, i have not come across the problem you are speaking of.

20. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Thanks

Thanks guys for firing up the macs and using activity monitor to actually see the macbook uses 50% of the cpu just to watch a youtube video. You guys are awesome I cant wait to get a mac and watch youtube and other websites macs are so awesome.

21. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

He's from the U.K., so he could say you spelt it wrong.

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

No, damov2 spelt it the British way, what with him/her being from the UK and all. Anyway, nice try! ;)

EDIT: Beaten to it!

23. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Rather than just rejecting this and calling it trolling i tested it, and it is true the process takes about 50% when playing a youtube video, but I don't know what that means (perhaps someone can explain it?)

[​IMG]

But my CPU is only sitting around 30% running safari (w/ youtube video), mail, and adium

[​IMG]

24. Stachelsk macrumors regular

OP: Look around the forums a bit before posting and making yourself look stupid.

Safari uses 50% of one core, which is 25% of your total processing power. Windows would report as 25% in its Task Manager, because it calculates usage based on the CPU, while OS X does it based on processes. Yes, the Flash implementation is rather resource-intensive and could be optimized, Adobe and Apple are working on it. If you don't buy a Mac because it doesn't have a super-fast implementation of Adobe Flash, you're an idiot.

25. damov2 macrumors regular

You were already told in YOUR previous thread on the SAME subject that safari only monitors a single core, which would equate to 25% of the cpu being used.
    I've also showed you a screen shot of youtube running AND NOT using anywhere near 50%-90%.