Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Crappy ? Nah and that effects how many people ? Plenty of people own Samsung devices, pixels, Htc devices and iPhones. Most if not all of the big players phones all have OLED screens now on their flagship phones.

Yes...crappy. 240 Hz is a crappy implementation. And impacts enough people to have a 80+ page thread here.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
For me the issue is the delay in launching the XR.

Doing so the other way round, launching the premium device later as they did last year is more understandable.

Many people bought the Xs and particularly Xs Max believing the price difference would be more justified than it actually is.

As an Xs Max owner I think I’d be extremely happy with the XR. Unfortunately as with many people I am now locked into a 24 month contract to an Xs Max.

Based on the lack of availability issues with the XR it’s hard to see the launch delay as anything other than cynical profiteering.

For the record I have no issue with the Xs Max price, I just feel that the XR is almost too good of a value in comparison.

Nobody said you had to buy a device last month. Unless you broke your phone or lost it you could of easily just waited for the XR. You didn’t but want to complain about the timing saying you couldn’t wait a month ?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Yes...crappy. 240 Hz is a crappy implementation. And impacts enough people to have a 80+ page thread here.

Yeah an 80+ thread cool? Yet you have millions of oled displays out there made by the same company aside from one or two devices ( pixel 2 XL and any LG device ) those millions outweighs a 80 page thread on a geek/nerd website lol.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
For me the issue is the delay in launching the XR.

Doing so the other way round, launching the premium device later as they did last year is more understandable.

Many people bought the Xs and particularly Xs Max believing the price difference would be more justified than it actually is.

As an Xs Max owner I think I’d be extremely happy with the XR. Unfortunately as with many people I am now locked into a 24 month contract to an Xs Max.

Based on the lack of availability issues with the XR it’s hard to see the launch delay as anything other than cynical profiteering.

For the record I have no issue with the Xs Max price, I just feel that the XR is almost too good of a value in comparison.

I genuinely think the delay was marketing related and that in mind a bit

Nothing to do with supply constraints

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Better is mostly subjective, in particular when it comes to something like how something looks to someone.

Better color, better blacks, better picture, it’s just better. True color it might not be but otherwise is better

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Yeah an 80+ thread cool? Yet you have millions of oled displays out there made by the same company aside from one or two devices ( pixel 2 XL and any LG device ) those millions outweighs a 80 page thread on a geek/nerd website lol.

You are missing the point...have options for people who do have issues with PWM is a Good Thing. Having a high-quality LCD screen as an option is a Good Thing.

Reactions: dk001

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You are missing the point...have options for people who do have issues with PWM is a Good Thing. Having a high-quality LCD screen is a Good Thing.

I never said that ? You’re complaining about the XS and XS max. You have the XR so their you go. Just go buy it and call it a day if PWM affects you. The XR is fine but I’m not buying one.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry if my post sounds like sour grapes, but the point is that while I love my MAX, I’m not seeing the functional utility of spending $400 more on it. Apple could have designed a premium XR at $899 or $950 that could have delivered that value
So why didn’t you get an XR?

Reactions: Dwood1970

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
I have a MAX now, and I went to the store today to check out the XR.

1) The XR seems like it does 98% of what the XS/Max both do, for much less. The vast majority of iPhone users would love that phone

2) The white, red, blue and yellow look great in person

3) The XS and Max feel and look “nicer” than the XR, but I’m not seeing the utility. For example, the XR screen is fine, and the camera feels excellent. All apps will work equally well on all of these phones

4) Apple really should have released a single next generation iPhone with XR dimensions and specs and an OLED screen starting at around $899 at 128G. This would have been “the new iPhone” and created a huge upgrade cycle. Instead we have this dual track system where none of the buyers actually get real value.

I do agree on #4. But you saw the keynote. You chose not to wait for the Xr but to spend big on the Xs(max). And now you're complaining for spending big where you could have saved a lot and pretty much get the same experience with the Xr. Hope you don't mind me saying but I think you were too impulsive. Lesson learned.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I do agree on #4. But you saw the keynote. You chose not to wait for the Xr but to spend big on the Xs(max). And now you're complaining for spending big where you could have saved a lot and pretty much get the same experience with the Xr. Hope you don't mind me saying but I think you were too impulsive. Lesson learned.

I was pretty impulsive myself. I purchased the XS Max twice! LOL It is a great phone and honestly money is no option other than I prefer it in my account rather than in Apple’s. So I returned the second Max yesterday to the Apple store. I had received an Xr at 9 am. By 7 pm I made my decision to keep Xr and return Max. I am happy! I made the decision that was best for me and I am personally not moved by the opinion of folks on this forum. Xr rocks just fine. $450 back in my account Max not worth it to me. Display on the Max un-questionably better but again not enough for Apple to get my money. I think more people should be wiser with money, but they can do whatever they want. :D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So basically not better for everyone.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Eh.

I own a Toyota and a Lexus. The Toyota and Lexus both get me from point A to point B and do so quite well.

I massively prefer the Lexus.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Premium cars will get you from A to B just as good as any economy car. But they can costs 10s of thousands more. Does the premium car owner say they got ripped off? Some people just enjoy having a premium product. Some people may have a specific need for the XS / Max’s slight performance benefits. So really there’s not much else to say. I like my Max and don’t feel like I was ripped off.

Such an amazing post. I don't feel ripped off AT ALL, especially after reading this!!!

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Such an amazing post. I don't feel ripped off AT ALL, especially after reading this!!!

OP made a choice. All the phones were announced at the same time. All the phones were heavily discussed on this message board. All the phones were reviewed and advertised.

OP decided immediate gratification was most important. There was no ripoff. OP has buyers remorse.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Oled is better and offers better blacks. This is my tv and I watch everything on my phone. Once you go OLED you don’t go back lol.
That assuming true blacks are important to the user. I have an OLED TV but can’t give rat’s a** about having OLED on my tiny phone. Can’t be bothered to watch anything significant on the tiny screen.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I don’t feel ripped off at all. The XS Max is the best iPhone I’ve ever had. It’s also the iPhone I’ve wanted for years...plus size without huge bezels on top and bottom.

My iPad is collecting dust. Can’t put the Max down. :)

sato30

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2018
OH, US
I don't think Apple is ripping anyone off with the XS, XS Max and XR. They were very clear during the keynote and subsequent interviews in how they view these iPhones.

Not to mention they had the comparison page up prior to pre-orders for the XS & XS Max for all three iPhones which showed the differences between XS and XR was display & 3D Touch, colors & finishes, water resistance, battery life, telephoto camera, storage options and LTE coverage.

The XS and XS Max to them is the best and uncompromising iPhones they have released to date. They are the flagships and the luxury models. They are going to have all the best features in every way. This however does come at a uncompromising price.

The XR is the mainstream model designed to bring the "X experience" to more people while making it the best performing iPhone for $750 so no matter which model someone decided to go with Apple's overall goal here was to create an iPhone for everyone and so they could say "I have the best".

BTW I learned a long time ago with gaming consoles never to do impulse buys with any tech when you know the company will release something else or another version of the same tech down the road. Best to wait and compare to make sure you get the model/version you want and will be 100% happy with.

Thanks to Microsoft and Xbox I wait until they announce their mid-cycle revision before buying an Xbox after seeing my friends having the Red Ring of Death on their launch Xbox 360s. My Xbox 360 S was way better than the launch model and had an HDMI port included, bigger harddrive and was cheaper. The only tech I will get day one is PlayStation since Sony has a habit of removing something with their mid-cycle revisions.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I’m holding a Xr and a Max in each hand, and the bigger screen if the Max is worth it to me. Nothing unwise (or less wise) about choosing a Max over a Xr.

Apples already got your money, what else could you say? LOL Seriously if you are happy that is all that matters. I am happy and I got that $450 back in my account instead of it being in Apples.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Apples already got your money, what else could you say? LOL Seriously if you are happy that is all that matters. I am happy and I got that $450 back in my account instead of it being in Apples.

Waddya mean what else could he say? I say the same thing. I could return my Max tomorrow for a XR if I wanted to as could he. The extra $ is well worth it in our eyes for the Max. No idea why that’s funny or why you’d think we are trying to justify our purchase. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.