Please be quiet

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vrDrew, Jun 20, 2012.

1. vrDrew, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm talking to you.

The guy who got onto a bus full of exhausted airline passengers and continued to loudly yack into his cellphone for an hour. The two women sitting behind me in the coffee shop who carried on a revolting discussion of their digestive and gynecological woes well within the earshot of a half-dozen or so increasingly queasy diners. The motormouth at my office who seems to think that everyone, everywhere is simply fascinated by every little incident in his life.

The kids at my condo-community pool (guests, actually) who think that its impossible to enjoy aquatic activities without screaming at the top of your lungs every single second from sunup to sundown. (If I ever become dictator, playing "Marco Polo" will be a capital offense.)

We all enjoy a pleasant conversation, its one of life's great pleasures. But so too are watching (and being able to hear the dialog) a great movie. Watching a sunset. Reading a great novel. Or enjoying a tasty meal. And, trust me, virtually ALL of those activities can be ruined by your self-involved mindless chattering. (Hint: If you simply MUST keep talking, try lowering your volume so as NOT to involve everyone else within a 60 foot radius.) You aren't very interesting. There's not much you can do about that. But your incessant, loud pratter is a) rude and b) eventually going to cost you a lot.

Another hint: If you don't have anything particularly interesting to say, try keeping your mouth closed. Look around you. Think about a pleasant memory or loved one. Savor the taste of your glass of wine or chocolate milkshake. But, for once in your godforsaken existence, try keeping your gob shut. You'll find the world a far more interesting place.

So, to all the Chatty Cathies and Blabbering Bobs out there - try shutting up every once in a while.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This can also apply to you as well. I don't wanna hear (or read for that matter) you cry so please, shut up and be quiet.

3. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

This is to you angry forum ranter. Yes, YOU.

Shhhhhhh, you sound like a bully.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The guy who bitches about his problems to people who don't give a ****...

5. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

One of those "and zero ****s were given that day."

6. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Do you also yell at kids to get off the lawn?

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is he the old man from Monster House?

8. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Only when they are talking.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Bitter, party of one, your table is now available.

10. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Make that bitter, party of two.

I agree. Whilst in public, be polite and don't scream. When you observe the world you will learn a lot more. Then you can talk about what you saw to your friend (quietly of course)

Oh, and you businessmen on your Bluetooth in the middle of Panera: when the cashier asks you what you want, don't put you finger in there face a say "I'm talking. Hold on" then proceed to stand there for 10 minutes while a nice sized line forms. Waiting for you to finish yelling at someone about there sub-par performance. Honestly you don't realize how rude you are.

11. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

DOES THIS ANNOY YOU TOO?

(Just a joke) I too, find it incredibly annoying, but instead of complaining, I'm often tempted to use my dog whistle app. That's more fun.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You sound like Daily Mail reader, living in your own little world of frustrated petty bile and hate. :(
    Grow up.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Ah, humans and the lost art of shutting the frick up.

Sometimes I wonder if people avoid silence because it may mean having to think.

14. samiwas, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

samiwas macrumors 68000

I'm on vrDrew's side here. I don't think she's bitching about normal conversation. It's the people who feel the need to yell into their cell phones (especially those godawful NexTel things people used to use) or otherwise just be loud and annoying.

I was having a discussion with my manager at her desk the other day when the cleaning lady came in. She came into the room, pulled out her radio and proceeded to practically scream into it in her conversation with another cleaner. Then she left the room when she was done with her conversation. Only to come back in to scream into the radio again. Our dumbfounded looks did not register.

Some people just do not know when to use their "inside voice". And I wouldn't call it petty bitching...it's cometely annoying and very disrespectful to those around you.

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I hate it when people are loud. I take the train to work, these train has one and only one destination, downtown from the suburbs. Meaning they are not your typical public transit and operate during rush hour only. Sometimes there is a group of people who think they can talk as loud as they can to their friends sitting beside them.

I just hate people in general, most are inconsiderate of their surroundings.

16. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Let me explain this to you: Nobody HAS to read a post on an Internet forum. Should one accidentally stumble across a posting one finds disagreeable or unpleasant, its remarkably easy to simply click one of the many buttons and icons to be instantly transported to a place more amenable to your sensibilities.

Stuck on a bus, or in a dining room, or an office with a loud-mouthed blatherer one finds one's options considerably more limited.

Let me also explain what the word "bully" means to you: On the bus I mentioned there were probably twenty other passengers who weren't annoying everyone else. These people weren't necessarily silent (talking quietly with their seat mates) and several of them also used their cellphones (albeit the conversations were of the nature of "the flight got in late. I'm on the bus to xxxx, see you at 9.00" variety)

The BULLY in that case was the obnoxious jerk who subjected everyone ELSE to his increasingly banal boasting, observations, and recollections. And I'm convinced he'd have gone on indefinitely had not another passenger gone up to him and quietly, politely, but firmly, asked him to either lower his voice or end his conversation. When the loud-talker reluctantly complied, the rest of the passengers raised a round of applause.

The blizzard of down votes doesn't surprise me. I obviously touched a nerve with some people. Its a slim hope, but maybe some people will at least begin to consider the rights of other people when out in public.

17. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

I'm with you OP (although you could've written it more tactfully).

Jobs (or was it Ive? Can't remember.) often said that what made Apple products so attractive to consumers what not all the features they jammed IN, but what they left OUT.

I feel the same goes for conversations. Quality over quantity any day.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Or, he/she could actually grow a pair, (X Y chromosomes permitting), and tell these ignorant slugs to ****.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

Op, ever consider that you might be one of those people to somebody else? Wear a pair of headphones.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I specifically try to avoid conversations talking on the phone when riding the bus because it annoys me when I have to listen to someone else's conversation. On the airplane, I carry ear plugs for the typically fussy infants. :)

21. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Advice you give that you should also take. You'll probably have a much better life but can we extend that to the keyboard as well? I would take your advice but I really love hearing myself type so I just cannot refrain!

I lol'ed.

Let me explain this ...

I'm not sure if you touched a nerve, you didn't touch any in me that I am aware of. I hope that your uncouth method of passive aggressively bitching about strangers in public doesn't touch anyone in any way because your thoughts are as uninteresting (if not more) as the uninteresting people you bitch about. Assuming you have enough power to touch anyone in any fashion is an absurd idea in my mind but you clearly think very highly of yourself so I can see where you'd be led astray. So people annoy you. I'm guessing based on your single post that you are probably in the camp of annoying people you bitch about. The best part is you're doing it on a Mac forum to a group of strangers who probably weren't on a bus with you, in a diner talking about their vaginae, or in a pool having fun on a warm day. What further amuses me is that you felt this need to inform people of your opinion of others for what exactly? Is this PSA of yours actually going to do good? Probably not. I assume you write this all here because you probably do know (and if not you know now) that this would earn you a nice swift punch in the face if you happened to recite your rant in public. If it doesn't, I would be both surprised and disappointed.

I do however wish to thank you for the laugh. I do love entertainment and grumpy old men; they're so adorable. ;)

23. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I was always told - "If you've nothing to say, don't open your mouth and prove it."

There, now I've just gone and done it... :rolleyes:

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I really don't get the anger towards the op here. Nobody can possibly blame him for not wanting to hear a loud passenger on a bus and he went here to vent. What's the big deal?

25. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502

StumpyBloke

Christ, you can't say a thing on these forums without getting pounced on from a great height!!

The OP was expressing his opinion in general, not going on about anyone on here, and yet the wolves start circling! Wow, you all must be so proud. And to use the word 'bully' in this context is quite simply ridiculous!

Flame on...