Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you returned your 2016 Pro? -Leave a comment explaining why, or why not.

• Yes - 13" nTB

Votes: 20 4.2%
  • Yes - 13" TB

Votes: 40 8.4%
  • Yes - 15"

Votes: 73 15.3%
  • No - 13" nTB

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • No - 13" TB

Votes: 81 16.9%
  • No - 15"

Votes: 218 45.6%

• Total voters

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
FYI, the defect rate on laptops is between 11 to 25% last I checked, varying by brand. I believe Apple had a middling score, of around 17%. I suspect that rev 1's have a higher rate than average, but have no data to back up this claim.

My sons girlfriend works at an Apple Store in the Los Angeles area and they were over the other day. I saw a different thread somewhere here on MR where the poster was claiming MacBook returns were non existent so I asked her.

She said the 2016 MacBook return rate is much higher than the 2015 rate was. Take that for what it's worth as it could be a global thing or just local to her store...

My guess if I had to take one is that this is due to some not liking the new KB, some wanting then not seeing the value in the TB and the software / GPU glitches that were common before the recent update.

Last edited:

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Returned a high spec 15". It didn't feel faster than my 2012 or 2013 rMBP except when opening applications for the first time. I actually liked the new keyboard and had no problems getting used to it. However, the humungous trackpad was annoying to use. The palm rejection was great but I use tap to click and it was rejecting my clicks whenever my palm was on the trackpad, which is always because it's unnecessarily large. Touch bar was a complete gimmick, serving no useful purpose and slowing down my usage. Adjusting volume or brightness requires multiple taps now while looking at the keyboard. Sometimes I'd end up activating Siri instead. (I know I can disable this)

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Returned a high spec 15". It didn't feel faster than my 2012 or 2013 rMBP except when opening applications for the first time. I actually liked the new keyboard and had no problems getting used to it. However, the humungous trackpad was annoying to use. The palm rejection was great but I use tap to click and it was rejecting my clicks whenever my palm was on the trackpad, which is always because it's unnecessarily large. Touch bar was a complete gimmick, serving no useful purpose and slowing down my usage. Adjusting volume or brightness requires multiple taps now while looking at the keyboard. Sometimes I'd end up activating Siri instead. (I know I can disable this)

Sorry to hear that. But I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like the giant trackpad. Additionally, I found that while typing I will sometimes accidentally "tap" the trackpad and suddenly I notice I'm typing in the wrong place in the document because I had clicked there unwittingly.

Reactions: guy_mac
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
15". It's a keeper. Many raging against it have shown no evidence they have owned or used one. Some of their complaints appear to be based on their lack of understanding about technology. The only justified complaint I have seen is against the graphics drivers not being optimal - but that has always been the case every year since 2001 when OS X came out.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Yes.

15 kernel panics in one day on the 15-incher.

That was the final straw.

Apple offered full refund as soon as I mentioned kernel panic and showed 15 different screenshots of the error even though MBP was purchased over a month ago.

Back to my ole trusted MBP from 2014.

Last edited:

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I'm not buying till Feb. Hopefully any hardware issues and battery life will be sorted by then.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Returned my nTB 13" to BestBuy due to the screen glitch issue and from reading the experiences of others that all the new MacBook pros overheat and/or crash when running video editor programs.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Returned my nTB 13" to BestBuy due to the screen glitch issue and from reading the experiences of others that all the new MacBook pros overheat and/or crash when running video editor programs.
That's sad to hear. My 15" has been flawless with FCP on up to 30 minute projects this far, I had one crash when I accidentally unplugged my phone before an import was completely done, but otherwise nothing, really good performance and rendering times have been impressive as well...

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
In addition to hardware/software defects like this:
the other reason I returned my 13" nTB is lack of customer support for the USB-C Port issue. Example: I went to an Apple store and asked the sales people what adapter/dongle I needed to buy to be able to compensate for the lack of an SD Card slot and no one knew for sure !! They said unhelpful things like "check Amazon" instead of having the proper product on hand ready to sell me.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
I can understand all the 15" MBPs having issues due to the constant switching between dGPU and IntelGPU, but why are the 13" MBPs having so many graphics issues, shouldn't it be much easier to figure out the driver situation for them on Apples end?

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
No idea, I little search only comes up with 15" notebooks having the graphical issues and only a few 13". The issues with the 13" seem to be normal as we see with each new product although it seems that the non-Touch Bar version seems to be the one primarily suffering. The 15" is on the higher side. I'd say that this is not going to make the troubleshooting easy.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
I just exchanged my 13'' tbMBP today since it had a few glitches and the new one's TB doesn't work at all.. back to the Apple Store I go..

raffy

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
I returned mine, proof: http://i.imgur.com/ML5daMS.jpg

Pros: Space Gray, new hinge
Cons: Keyboard sucks. Trackpad too big/palm rejection sucks. Touchbar is pointless. 16 GB RAM.

I've bought the latest notebook every year since 2001.

First mac I've ever returned.

Reactions: NickYanakiev

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
I returned mine, proof: http://i.imgur.com/ML5daMS.jpg

Pros: Space Gray, new hinge
Cons: Keyboard sucks. Trackpad too big/palm rejection sucks. Touchbar is pointless. 16 GB RAM.

I've bought the latest notebook every year since 2001.

First mac I've ever returned.

Summed up my thoughts well except I like the new keyboard. First Apple product I've ever returned as well

Pengli_2002

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
Returned 15" 2.9/460/1TB space grey today.

Battery: during a two day test, I didn't find it unacceptable. I get 6.5-7.5 hours from a relatively new mid 2015 15" MacBook pro, I feel the 2016 model at least matches it

Keyboard: arrow keys seem to need extra pressure

Trackpad: don't see much benefit over smaller one. Palm could be in the way

Performance: disk speed faster, but overall didn't seem to have improved much over the 2015 2.8 Ghz model.

Touch Bar: didn't use much: rather a distraction to me while typing on a flat desk. Useless when set up with external monitor and bluetooth keyboard

Form factor and build quality are great

This config would have cost me over $3,800 including tax. The LG Ultrafine 5K would be another $1,000, with some dongles / docks this could easily be a $5,000 set up. Instead I went wth the following:

Mid 2015 15" 2.8 Ghz/1Tb/dGPU - ~$2,200 used, lots of decent options on eBay from reputable resellers
Dell 27" 4K display - ~$500

My bar is pretty low as I'm upgrading from a 2009 13" MacBook pro (enhanced with SSD which still runs pretty fast, but can't handle some prosumer photography)... While I don't dislike the 2016 model, really can't convince myself about the price...

The last and only other apple product I returned was the iPhone 4 "Antenna Gate"

I'm new to the forum and have found tremendously useful info. I hope someone at Apple is paying attention.

Reactions: Smoovejayy

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Digging my nTB,

no battery issues on 10.12.0, or graphical glitches, etc.

works pretty well, not without a hiccup or two but

I hated Sierra on my rMB

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
15". It's a keeper. Many raging against it have shown no evidence they have owned or used one.

Come to think of it, do I have any actual proof that you've ever used one? I don't! It could be that no one here has ever actually seen one, and they're all lies, and that's just as true, and just as relevant, as this claim.

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Currently planning to keep 12/23 purchased base 2.7 15 inch model. Keyboard is spry but noisy. Screen is bright and clear, low eye fatigue. If anything, I am realizing that I could have totally gotten by with the nTB 13 if they just had a 512 or 1TB model in stock. Touch ID to unlock is nice, but I probably only spend an hour a night during the week or 5 hours a weekend doing basic stuff. I have Eclipse Java editor installed, but that runs great on my 2013 MBA.

If I do return it, it will be because my older Mac still works and I am not treating it like a Faberge egg.

I agree, keyboard is spry and noisy. While I have gotten used to it, it is still uncomfortable in meetings. I also agree about the screen. I upgraded for the screen space and the ability to use the laptop without glasses. Otherwise I would still be using my 2013 13inch.

It is the exact opposite. The longer someone is a fan, the more you should look the other way. The problem here is predictability. The reason why most stay a fan is the predictability. The moment that is broken their world ends and they're going to be very vocal about that. It makes it more hard for them to see the new direction which new people don't have. It's a common thing that happens with many things.

The other thing I see here is something that is inherent to the USA: people returning items because they can't justify it. Anywhere else in the world people wouldn't have bought in the first place. The difference here is that the USA is living on credit (money you don't have) whereas the rest of the world is living on debit (money you actually have). People who spend their own money are far more careful with it than those spending other peoples money so they actually buy something they can justify.

Classic and correct, however if we don't by the latest and greatest we are told our economy will fall apart. I remember President Bush on TV begging people to go Christmas shopping years ago so we wouldn't go into a recession. Well I am part of that group, although I'm getting better. lol

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
So far we have 314 votes in total.
26,7% return rate.
53,5% of registered returns are for the 15"

It is a little interesting how the percentage og returns has stayed pretty much between 20-25% throughout the poll.
Not that this little poll actually means something or carries any weight.
-The sample size is minuscule and we don't have any other return statistics to compare with.

But it was fun.

ultraman982

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
TB 13 / 3.3 i7 / 16 / 512

I haven't returned it but am considering swapping for the 15'' (still have til Jan. 8)... I really like the machine, don't see the battery as an issue but find it slow for some things.

I'm using the 27'' LG 27UD88-W and even with the laptop lid closed, mirrored displays or extended find the machine chugging while playing high resolution videos. For example when I full screen a Youtube Video on the monitor it lags.

I've also had it crash on me twice when trying to play 4k video, which is not a normal use case for me but at the same time still a pretty crappy experience for a nearly $3,000 laptop. I figure the oomph of the video card in the 15'' will likely make things snappier.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Yup, returned my 15" 460 machine. It was a nice machine. I liked it. Then I played with a friend's SurfaceBook. And they told me what they paid for it. I played with it a bit more, and realized it crashed less than sierra on the new MBP.

Haven't used Windows in 10 years, it's improved a lot and Mac OS has declined quite a bit. They're essentially equivalent, and the SurfaceBook hardware is far superior.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Of course I didn't return mine. I knew what I was buying, as a long time Mac user I was not surprised that you could buy a gaming laptop for half the money. Also, I am not antagonistic towards change. If Apple makes a new keyboard, or a new trackpad - I am trying to observe it as a part of a larger whole, try to understand the decision behind it and see if it fits into my workflow.

People saying the trackpad is too large obviously only use it to copy files or surf the web. They don't use it for Photoshop gestures or to precisely select parts of the image without the mouse, they don't use it with custom gestures with BTT, they don't appreciate it's benefits, they only see the downsides because the cursor, perhaps, sometimes moves a bit while they type. So they say things like "it's too large". You know what, a DSLR camera is "too large" as well. So is a Wacom tablet, so are professional headphones.

I am also ready to adapt to new designs. A keyboard is a keyboard - I can blind type on an iPad, I can type fast on a mechanical keyboard, I can thumb-type multiple pages on my iPhone if the need arises - I adapt knowing that every tech has it's benefits and downsides. I do not type for an hour and decide I hate something that was designed by cutting edge design teams because I'm used to something else. I try to make it work, because I know there is a reason behind every decision. And then - I start to appreciate what the designers did. Some people learn how to type without hands. It seems some can't type if the key travel is 0.5mm shorter. I like the new keyboard, it screams high quality.

I also don't expect every new technology to become instantly usable, especially on a pro product. You need to learn to use your tools. I am not a teenager using my phone for Snapchat. At first, I didn't know how to use a Touch Bar. Then I used it occasionally. Now I use it in Photoshop every time I work, because I understand what it's good at and what it's not. Could I use a computer without it - yes. Am I glad it's there? Oh yes. It's great. Saves me time and, heck, even makes things a bit more fun.

Also, I knew it came with 16Gb RAM. If someone returns theirs because of that - it's just silly. It's not like you discovered it had 16Gb RAM while using it. I knew how much I needed. I know how RAM works, and I know my workflow. Also, I don't buy RAM to put it in my signature, nor do I open a few browser tabs, see that 10Gb RAM is filled and deduce that I need more than 16 because websites became somehow bigger in the past two years. I know how system manages RAM. People who knew they needed more, they didn't buy this computer, end of story.

Finally, I knew it was expensive. I payed good money for it. That money equals lots of hard work. Still, I did not expect to get a gaming console, a rendering farm and an ultraportable tablet in the same machine just because I payed a lot. I expected a great MacBook Pro powerful, portable, quad-core laptop - I got one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.