Poll: When did you switch from PC to Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nando2323, May 23, 2008.

?

How long since you switched to mac or been using it?

1. 12 months or less

68 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. 1-2 years

39 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. 2-10 years

112 vote(s)
    46.1%
  4. my first apple was a IIe and I've been failful ever since

24 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

Did you recently switch from PC to Mac? Within the last 12 months that is.

It's been one year for me and I am loving the Mac it's hands down the best computer I have ever owned.

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Switched about 3 weeks ago. Couldn't be happier to get rid of that PoS Windows laptop. Mac Mini and OS X. The perfect combination for a 14 year old kid who hates Windows. :D

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I was a Mac girl back when I had my LCII with System 7, now I am finally home again - just waiting for my Mac Pro to arrive then Ill sell the PC once and for all - By chasing-every-hardware-upgrade, but fiddling all the time, bye PC :)

4. TimJim macrumors 6502a

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You forgot "Started with a Mac".

The first computer I ever purchased was a Mac Classic (the new low cost Macs!).

Then, I got a 386 bare-bones since I was in computers and needed to gain experience with DOS based machines.

6. klittle250 macrumors newbie

Last Tuesday. I had my iMac shipped to the office and I went home and soon as it came in.

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I switched in February, 2008. Bought my MBP , 250GB, 4GB RAM, on eBay. I'm running WindowsXP Pro using Parallels. I LOVE IT! Will never even think of going back.

I thought I was going to have to use Windows a lot because of some specialized real estate software, but I am finding out that i need it less and less.

I do still have 3 pc's running Windows though. 2 laptops and a 10 year old Gateway.

8. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i havent actually switched just yet (unless iphone osx counts). but i will be in june this year, after WWDC.

but i have used them before for a fair amount at a uni i did some research at- hoping to get the 24" 2.8ghz with 4gb ram and the best GPU whatever its called

9. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

Had my lovely MacBook for a year and a half, bought it with savings/birthday money because I needed it for art projects for school.

I'm just about to convert the rest of the family tomorrow as our main PC just died and I convinced the parents to go Mac. Heading into the Apple Store tomorrow :D

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

11. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I bought my first mac in July 2006, one month before I started law school.

12. Geoff! macrumors newbie

The joy of computing again!

May the 13th was the big day (and for those of you still waiting out there, it arrived one day ahead of the original schedule). I can tell you, I'm loving it! It's like I've just received my Amiga A4000 back in it's heyday.

My first brush with Macs (in anger, at any rate) was in first year computer science, where we had to program Modula2 on Macintosh SEs. Shocking lack of multitasking and general dumbed down-ness, even at several times the cost of my home A500. Possibly the whole one mouse button thing turned me off to the Apple brand for 17 years! (although Apple's revisionist view of the history of personal computing hasn't helped the cause either:p).

My final year project was done in a lab of neXt machines... there was a portent! I rather liked those...

From 2000ish I've had to have a fowl IBM compatible out of necessity (trying to soften the blow by going for AMD rather than the intel, which as a Motorola fan I'd always despised!)

I've always worked with unix based machines, and to some extent the Amigas have always been unix-esque, so I'm wondering what took me so long to come to Mac OS X! :D In fact, there's much of Mac OS X that reminds me of the Amiga - Preview is hard not to think of as "Multiview" and includes the concept of add on Datatypes. Applescript/Automator and the way they interface to the apps is much like ARexx. Spaces can even be seen as a bit like the Amiga's funky screen dragging facility.

In all, it's good to have a proper computer again, with a proper operating system. And given the determination of the current Amiga Inc. to running any remaining brand value into the ground, I'll be here for a long time.

:apple: I for one, welcome my new Cupertino overlords. :D :apple:

13. err404 macrumors 68020

I bought my MBP a bit over a year ago. The Intel transition was key for me. I had been playing with hackintosh for a while, but wan't yet sold. The ability to run Windows if I didn't like OSX made the leap feel safer.
    Long story short, I have replace all my PCs and am now the proud owner of a MPB, MB, Mini, AppleTV and am now looking into getting an iMac or Pro.

14. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I purchased a Mac 128K with external floppy drive and imagewriter printer when my wife was in grad school in '84. It was our first computer. I still remember her telling me that her adviser was picking up the mac and moving it when the mouse got to the end of the cable ... it was the first computer that her adviser had ever used. The adviser was afraid that picking up the mouse would cause it to lose its place. My wife used it to write her thesis. I "upgraded" that Mac to a "2MB" version using an after-market upgrade, then when the hard disk upgrades came out, I was SOL. At that point, I decided to dump Mac for PC because PC was expandable.

I finally came back to Mac few months ago when the iPhone SDK came out and I switched from a Linux toolchain to the "real" one. I originally just intended to use the Mini only for iPhone dev, but I have now banished my old PC to the basement (with the kids) and now my desk has only a Dell laptop, the Mini, and DVI/USB KVM and a 22" Acer display. I have been a long time Linux "abuser" and switching back to the Mac shows me how far off a desktop Linux really is. The Linux guys should stop chasing Microsoft and try to be more like a Mac.

Apple has it's best chance in decades to make significant inroads with Corporate America via the iPhone. I personally think that the iPhone will have coat tails that will change some folks minds about what is needed for a corporate desktop or laptop experience.

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I bought a Mac Classic on 2003, an iMac G3 in 2004, but I don't really consider that switching, because I still mostly used my PC.

Got a Mac mini for Christmas 2006, been happy with OS X ever since.

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

December 2007. Dove into the deep end with a MBP 17... very nice. Not a lick of trouble with it (except for the latch, which needs a bit of fixing since it won't stay closed). Loverly OS.

Couldn't be happier. I used to have a Dell laptop running XP - which I thought was a HUGE step up from the former Win ME. Both of which, of course, completely sucked in comparison with my new machine :) :apple: :)

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

18. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Haven't Owned a PC in 15 years...

In 1993, I was starting High School and my Grandfather said he would give me a budget of $2000 to buy a computer and printer for school. I bought a Performa 475 (about $1500 at the time) and a HP COLOR deskjet (about $400) even though my parents thought I was throwing his money away. I was the eldest child and neither one of my parents new a Mac from a Microwave but all of "their research" pointed towards windows 3 (I think?).

My argument (which won:D) was that I already know my way around System 6 because that is what our technologically advanced school was running and I could probably score some software from school/friends. I know, I was a young lil' pirate, but after upgrading to the system 7 machine and "studying;)" in the school computer lab, I was able to do some very impressive things on my lil' mac.

The rest is history, I bought the 1st gen iMac (before the fruit colors), then the 1st gen iBook, now I am milking my 1st gen MacBook Pro. I probably would have bought number 5 by now but I cracked my screen on my MBP so when I had the screen replaced I had them upgrade the RAM to 2 GB and the HD to 320 GB. I will continue to milk this 2 year old for maybe another year, but I guess we'll see how it goes (June 9th).

That's my story, the only PC I ever owned was this relic...

(but I did learn how to program in BASIC on it so I guess it wasn't all bad:rolleyes:)

Attached Files:

19. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Bought my iMac on August 26th 2007, arrived on September 6th, 6 days before it was meant to arrive :D

Not been happier! There was a short but easy learning curve after 10 years of using PCs, but I'm finally there :D

Was a little bumpy at first because I had to use PCs at school, but now I've left school I'll never have to use a PC again! And also, at first, I didn't have the software I needed so I had to use my PC to do some the things I used to do before while I saved up for Final Cut Express, iStopmotion and various other software titles. But that's changed now :)

It's fantastic :D When I used a PC after having my Mac, I felt so restricted not being able to do all the cool things I could with my Mac, like Exposé and Spotlight. And then, later on, spaces.

20. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Not covered by the options...

My first computer was a Vic-20.

My second computer was an Apple II+

My third computer was an Apple IIgs. Apple then canceled the Apple line, and I left for a LONG time, and was brutal to people with Apple computers.

And then the Mini was made. OS X became better.

Upon the release of Tiger 10.4, I bought my Mini G4. I'm typing on it now. My gaming rig is still a PC, my financial trading station is a PC. They're turned off most of the time.

If Apple releases a new more powerful Mini, I will upgrade. I won't buy a Mac Pro, so I stay in Mini land until a better product without a screen comes along.

So, my first computer was pre-Apple II. I had two Apples, got pissed, went to the PC side and stayed there for a LONG time. And now I'm practically an Apple salesperson.

:)

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

May 23rd of 2007:D:cool:

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!! it's my anniversary!

22. Sogo macrumors 6502

The first computer my father bought was a mac. If I remember correctly it was a 8750 or something like that. Granted the second computer we got was some crappy computer that I don't even recall. We had to use a windows machine until the summer of 2004 when I got my powerbook. I can say I was really happy, no more restart for everything.

:)

23. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

After the Atari era we went straight to a Performa 6200 75Mhz, My dad having worked with, and built PCs during the early clone days didn't want one in the house

Didn't by a PC until i needed one for school windows only software, I'd guess that would be around 97-98 ish, from then i built a few more PCs, all used pretty much solely for games

Now i have a MacPro on my desk, and the last PC is currently sat on the landing looking a bit lost :( :D

24. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

My first computer - [​IMG]

My current, a mid level macbook, will be the last for a little while.

25. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien