Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
He is a fool
[doublepost=1524071918][/doublepost]He has more money than sense he can just buy another one its all for views

Exactly. If you can't handle the consequences of fouling up your repairs, leave it to the factory. This applies to toasters, refrigerators, coffee makers, cars and computers equally. I listened to part of his whine - he needs to grow up.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

juri-han

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017
What’s with all the personal attacks, “oh he looks like a douch or I hate that guy so screw him”

Unless you actually watch the video your comment that he’s wasting apples time or stealing parts so a customer with a real problem won’t get one ect. You are a giant hypocrite and the only person wasting anyone’s time

There is a major issue here with Apple not even willing to sell replacement parts to authorized techs that are willing to do the repair on Apple products because you need to be pro certified tech witch doesn’t even exist yet ....? WTF they are willing to sell a $5000 PC that can’t be repaired by anyone on earth because they say so

And didn’t not to long ago the FTC said all those void warranty stickers are illegal
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...-seal-broken-gadgets-illegal-right-to-repair/

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Having watched the video, the red flag here is that Apple doesn’t seem to have a coherent plan or mechanism in place to repair these units. The blatant argument that he broke it thus he should suffer the consequences ignores that Apple is selling what they deem a professional product and in this case have clearly missed the mark on supporting that hardware once it hits the customer.

If Apple can not support this gear in the most extreme case like this, what is someone who bought one of these for professional use and experiences similar hardware failures (whether accidental or not) going to do? Gear used professionally takes a beating and ignoring the fact that it will need to be repaired eventually completely misses the mark of where it fits into peoples workflows. I thought that was one of the key take aways from Apple’s we are sorry professionals tour was supposed to be all about last year.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Mr. Fixit! will do it free under Apple warranty and draw lots of views for both social media channels at Apple expenses! LOL!

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I have no problem with Spple telling him to pound sand.

But I have a big problem IFF Apple and it’s auth service outlet gave him bogus reasons why they are not going to touch it. That’s very wrong.

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
There's no way to guarantee what all is broken. If the service provider takes responsibility for the device and the complete damage is not documented, what's to stop the customer from claiming that it was damaged by the provider?

So replace anything else that is broken. A blank check should fix that.

Reactions: HVDynamo

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Having watched the video, the red flag here is that Apple doesn’t seem to have a coherent plan or mechanism in place to repair these units. The blatant argument that he broke it thus he should suffer the consequences ignores that Apple is selling what they deem a professional product and in this case have clearly missed the mark on supporting that hardware once it hits the customer.

If Apple can not support this gear in the most extreme case like this, what is someone who bought one of these for professional use and experiences similar hardware failures (whether accidental or not) going to do? Gear used professionally takes a beating and ignoring the fact that it will need to be repaired eventually completely misses the mark of where it fits into peoples workflows. I thought that was one of the key take aways from Apple’s we are sorry professionals tour was supposed to be all about last year.

1,2,3... until somebody is found who had theirs repaired under a coherent repair regime. Or that Apple replaced the unit.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Of course Apple refuses to repair. They are not dumb...
If you want an out-of-warranty repair, why go to the OEM? Usually cost you fortune. No matter if it's a computer or car.
If Apple now fixes it and there's some hidden defect, this guy would got back to Apple and blame Apple for their low quality repair.

However, Apple should sell the genuine replacement parts. That's still a big issue, as high quality replacements are difficult to find... The market is flooded with bogus parts...

morjesta

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
Frisco, TX

Exactly, people is mistaking that Linus is asking for a warranty, but he is just asking for it to get repaired.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Apple will not fix it for money.
Apple will not sell you the individual part you need if you want to fix it yourself.
Apple forbids people who they sell parts to from reselling the needed part to you.
Apple forbids fixing broken parts or refurbishing them to reuse.
Apple has blocked replacement parts from working with later OS/firmware updates.

I feel legislation is needed to fix this.

In the US, the FTC just sent out reminders to a few companies to state that you cannot refuse to repair something under warranty simply because it’s been repaired or opened by someone not authorized. But I’m gathering that this isn’t in the US.

Reactions: NayborAxi

Arty6

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
It’s absurd and shows a complete lack of critical thinking on the part of so many people. If Apple can arbitrarily refuse to repair this guy’s machine, they can refuse to repair anyone’s machine. There’s absolutely no good reason to refuse a PAID repair. This seems personal, petty, and vindictive to me.

I’ve never seen this kid’s videos before and I find him highly annoying, but there’s no good reason to deny his repair. This is another reason to avoid Apple products if you’re a “pro”. In addition to the crazy new security measures that can brick an iMac Pro, we now have to worry about Apple arbitrarily refusing to fix a $5K+ machine.
It's not arbitrary. He broke the hell out of it just to do it and then wants somebody else to fix it. He should accept the consequences and buy a new one. Apple's not going to accept responsibility or take the time to discover all the problems he caused with the machine by completely tearing it down.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Nightmare? The people watching Linus Tech Tips are already biased against Apple, so I doubt this will change any minds.

Really? I've never watched a Linus Tech Tip before, and I will as a direct result of this, so it's a win for him at least.

I don't think Apple is wrong here though so it's certainly not going to hurt my opinion of Apple. If I break my screen through my own stupidity, I expect Apple to fix it (for a fee). But there is some point where I'd damaged the device so badly I don't expect Apple to fix it. If accidentally I drop my iPhone in a wood chipper I don't expect Apple to reassemble the bits at a lower cost than a new phone.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
They sell iMacs and MacBooks and iPads. Not seen any iPhone's
Costco DO sell Apple computers, in the UK at least.

Okay. Not in the USA.

The sale of Mac computers was halted in the USA because they have a blanket warranty policy for all computers and Mac computers were abused by consumers (returning on day last day of warranty a year into ownership) and too expensive for the retailer (Costco) to continue selling with such warranty.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
Great policy that forces one to buy a new computer. I don't buy the excuses in the article. Sell replacement parts and let a 3rd party fix it if Apple is not interested. Anyone that thinks my way should visit http://repair.org.

Because 99.99% of people are not able to fix anything. They simply think they can, probably like this idiot Sebastian. "Hey look people, look at me.look what I can do...oops I dropped it, Now I've broken it..DOH!"

I have lost count, literally, of the amount of people who all though they were computer geniuses and yet they failed miserably to even come to 10% of that ability.

People should all know their place and stop with the dam ego's. You all know diddly bumpkin squat and at best you quote something from Wikipedia and then pretend you know what you are on about. He messed the iMac pro up and was his fault. He therefore should not expect Apple to pay for his stupid arrogant mistakes. He should either pay up or shut up.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
if you think you're clever enough to open it up and modify it, you should be clever enough to fix it yourself

You don't understand or are ignoring the situation ... he (Linus) wants to pay for repair, but:
1.) Apple refuses it
2.) Apple doesn't have spare parts
3.) Apple doesn't have certification for servicers/repairers for this thing, so third party repair shops with Apple Certification cannot repair them, even if they could do it, because they would loose the license. They don't have official authorization.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How is this a news story. I feel like everyone knows this. Had he not opened it himself, Apple would have just given him a brand new Mac. It just so happens they don't have repair parts so his entire claim was denied. Note to self: Do not attempt to repair apple products by yourself when it is specially stated it voids the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.