Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're giving Valve Software's Steam launch a lot of coverage here at MacRumors -- but for good reason. Steam may do more to attract game developers to the Mac platform than Apple has ever done. Steam has announced that the Mac client will become available on Wednesday, May 12th and that new games will be released every Wednesday.

Valve's own Portal (above) is one of the launch titles as well as Runic Games highly acclaimed Torchlight.
"We're very excited to be bringing Torchlight to the Mac," said Max Schaefer, co-founder of Runic Games. "Having Steam for the Mac solves so many problems for us as a developer. We look forward to our future games coming out on the Mac as well."
While Torchlight had been previously planned to come to the Mac anyway, the developers are clearly pleased that Steam will be available on the Mac.

Article Link: 'Portal' and 'Torchlight' Amongst Mac Steam Launch Titles

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Aw, that means I have to wait at least another week for Team Fortress 2. Oh, well.

Does anybody know if the file sizes, of the games, have significantly changed when going from Windows to OS X? Are they smaller, bigger, or around the same?

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
There's only one set of games that would make me so happy, and that's GTA.

Vice City, San Andreas and I guess the new one.
But mainly San Andreas! An oldish game, I know. But one I play a fair bit when I'm on Bootcamp.

:)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Torchlight is an excellent game if you like the Diablo series. It's pretty much the same game style and even has some of the same developers. There's a pretty big mod community also.

The Valve games have always been fairly top notch. If you don't like FPS games but enjoy puzzles, Portal is an excellent choice and not something to avoid as it's not really an FPS.

Steam has sales all the time too. I know at some point last year you could get Team Fortress 2 for $2.49! I already owned it but you can also gift games to people so I bought it for all my friends that didn't have it.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I've been meaning to get back into Torchlight recently. Definitely interested in seeing how it compares to the PC version.

Torchlight is an excellent game if you like the Diablo series. It's pretty much the same game style and even has some of the same developers. There's a pretty big mod community also.
I heard the same guy who did Diablo music did it for Torchlight, not sure if that's true though. Either way the music is excellent.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I hope my Macbook (late 09) can handle playing these games decently. With 4gb of RAM and a 500 GB HD I hope it will, it'd be nice to play Left 4 Dead on my Macbook which goes with me everywhere.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I hope my Macbook (late 09) can handle playing these games decently. With 4gb of RAM and a 500 GB HD I hope it will, it'd be nice to play Left 4 Dead on my Macbook which goes with me everywhere.

You'll be fine! I use to play Left 4 Dead 2 on my Oct. 08 MacBook. :D

babak

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
I hope my Macbook (late 09) can handle playing these games decently. With 4gb of RAM and a 500 GB HD I hope it will

What does HD size have to do with handling games? It doesn't matter if it was a 80 Gb drive for that purpose. RAM is also less important then GPU (video-adapter)

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Big Deal

Games should be a big deal for AAPL. I resisted going into the light for years because I wanted my PC games. If Steam works out (don't forget "Steam Time") more and more people will come to AAPL and the machines themselves will be improved with better graphics/processors...etc. Maybe this will place more focus on AAPL computer development rather than hand held devices. Who knows?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Now I know how people who don't care about the iPad feel about news story after news story on that. Is there a way to hide this stuff in the news feed?

tph

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
wait, what about Half Life 2 ? i wanted to play it tomorrow!!!1 noes

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Perfect! Now pretty much the only games I use Steam for are Mac-compatible! Portal, TF2, Torchlight and Altitude. Well, that last one is sold on Steam for Windows but since I was an earlier adopter when it hit Steam, my account still works with the Mac and Linux clients.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Oh well... at least BootCamp was a concious decision to log off from OSX and boot into XP to play for a while. But with Torchlight right at my dock, I see all my spare time being sucked up. :eek: :D

I heard the same guy who did Diablo music did it for Torchlight, not sure if that's true though. Either way the music is excellent.

He did, yes. Some of the sound effects were also used in Torchlight.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
These two games look like 1996 all over again

It's 2010 and I'm witnessing Quake with portals meets Star Wars planet scouts hovering and getting crates falling through portals to smash them?

Then I get to see an impersonal board game view of Fantasy meets characters drawn like Bladerunner meets TSR and I'm supposed to be enthralled?

Seriously?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
It's 2010 and I'm witnessing Quake with portals meets Star Wars planet scouts hovering and getting crates falling through portals to smash them?

Then I get to see an impersonal board game view of Fantasy meets characters drawn like Bladerunner meets TSR and I'm supposed to be enthralled?

Seriously?

don't judge a book by its cover. both are excellent games really. ive been sucked into torchlight. the story and play are excellent for those of us who love the RTS Action genre, as there are few games like this. and portal is just plain fun.

p.s. the cake is a lie.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Seriously?

You don't play games do you?
Portal is regarded as having married excellent puzzles and gameplay with a genuinely interesting story. It is pacing at its most perfect.

Do you also avoid all TV shows, books and films because they share similar genres?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I don't think people realize how big of a deal this whole "Steam coming to Mac" thing is. Seriously, we're witnessing the second-coming of gaming situations on OS X. This is huge and awesome for every Mac user. Steam will allow other developers to be able to get their games into the hands of Mac users where it was previously much more difficult. I know Valve is still a company and doing this for the money, but I can't thank them enough. This is really going to be a game-changer. New games every wednesday? Award-winning titles coming to OS X? All through OpenGL? Hell. Yes. Keep up the good work guys! :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Torchlight looks wicked, been preoccupied recently it must have flew under the gaming radar. If I can play it offline as well as online I'll definitely pick it up.

I've never played Diablo nor any similar game to Torchlight before... bought it in one of the infamous Steam sales (we even have a thread for it here) for £5 and been quite addicted to it since. Glad they're porting it to Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.