Possibilities of a Triple-Lens iPhone Camera: Improved 3D Sensing, Zoom, and Low-Light Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Yeah I do!
    • better sound quality (why do you argue this? LOL)
    • no need to charge
    • will work indefinitely
    • doesn't waste battery life by having bluetooth on
    • can be used on any other device
    Did the headphone jack always bother you? You're complaints about the jack are a) weak and b) redundant. Nobody is forcing you to use the jack when bluetooth has always been there. Stop whining.

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I hated the headphone jack. Nothing worse than using wires when in the gym

Sound better? Maybe so but certainly not much of a difference that is noticeable

My beats last for weeks before needing to change and even they take very little time. Since when is charging every few weeks some chore? It isn’t

My complaints aren’t weak at all...can’t see why people would want to listen with wires in the way. But if people enjoy that then that’s up to them.

Just make sure you like adapters going Forward

3. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

No, this is what happens when you run out of "outside of the box" thinking..

4. kreasonos macrumors regular

5. niji Contributor

niji

Nothing to see here ... move along... move along.

6. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

I'd agree with two lenses, but with three, you might be able to get away with a smaller distance between the three cameras. E.g. you might be able to accomplish with three lenses something you couldn't with two at the same IPD type distance.

7. jdawgnoonan macrumors 6502

jdawgnoonan

If your Bluetooth headphones last for weeks then I am curious if you really even use them? Also, I am not sure if you noticed or not, but you could always use Bluetooth when there was a headphone jack, and there were only wires when you plugged into the jack.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

1-2 hours a day which is more than normal use.

9. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

More sensors, for medical, sensing the environment around the phone, will tie into more AI to help Siri become more of a virtual assistant.

Right now Siri is more of an intellectually disabled assistant now, but with more sensors, CPU power, memory and storage it should be able to improve over time. We'll see how quickly, but tying in the the Apple Watch, alone opens up new markets for health care monitoring. Very basic now, but think how bad the 2010 iPhone camera seems now.

10. jdawgnoonan macrumors 6502

jdawgnoonan

Okay, I loved my X and I love my XS Max, but if I could have it without the notch I would sure as hell choose it without the notch. The notch isn’t *that* irritating most of the time, but at times it is.

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Sure, would I rather have no notch? Of course but for now it’s hardly A big issue.

12. jdawgnoonan macrumors 6502

jdawgnoonan

Well, don’t say it isn’t noticeable because it certainly is noticeable. Not often, but when it is noticeable it is in fact annoying.

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It isn’t really noticeable on a daily basics. Even on videos you get used to it being there.

If it was something that was that annoying I would have bought it. Not sure why if it’s such an issue why you would buy it.

14. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

One huge con with Bluetooth headphones nobody mentioned is battery degradation. Anyone who’s owned AirPods since their release knows what I’m talking about.

Bluetooth and wires both have their pros and cons though, and Bluetooth will just improve over time.

15. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

No thanks and I prefer to use my DSLR instead. I wish they make a phone for those who don't need this feature that comes with a higher price tag.

16. jdawgnoonan macrumors 6502

jdawgnoonan

Actually the amount it annoys me is quite low, but posters on this site who say things like that the notch is not noticeable or who blame a headphone jack for the fact they weren’t using Bluetooth headphones or who say they use their Bluetooth headphones two hours a day and the batteries last for weeks are what really annoy me. A little critical thinking can go a long way. I love Apple products but they are not perfect nor are they really even superior to their best competition.

17. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

It's not that the notch isn't noticeable, it's that when I'm using the phone, I don't get annoyed that it's there. It interferes, imo, very little with viewing full screen videos in landscape, or browsing Safari in landscape. That is not to say, if apple figured out how to get the electronics under the screen without increasing the bezels, chin, forehead, etc, the phone wouldn't be better.

18. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Point is you get used to the notch. Don’t think anybody loves it but fit for now it’s needed

I fail to see why my statement on Bluetooth headphones annoys you. It’s hardly a hassle charging headphones when they need a small amount of time to charge anyway

If you prefer wired that’s up to you but having to use adapters would be more annoying

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

20. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

Kinda looks like a spider staring at you...

I don't mind the three lenses. What I mind is can you just make it flush? Then you can fit some more battery. And I know it's all crazy, but you could even bring back the 3.5mm jack.

Yes, I know that's not happening. They'd rather have a lens-pimple. And I'd rather keep my 6s+.

21. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

22. mudflap macrumors regular

mudflap

Nobody is forcing you to use Bluetooth and AirPods. Just plug your favorite headphones into the dongle. Done. I use my Etymotic ER4Ps like that all the time. The sound quality using the dongle is indistinguishable from an older iPhone with an old 3.5mm jack, surprisingly.

23. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Looks like a spiders eye to me

24. milhous macrumors newbie

100% agreed. All iPhones and iPads should have optics flush with the back, and use the extra thickness to include more battery. Nobody will care about the additional thickness or weight. If Jobs were still alive, the protrusion would be DOA.

25. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Its an interesting rumor. Presumably the highest priced 11s(?) would have 3....but no use case for motivation. Adding a zoom on the 11r would be nice - restoring what folks lost from the 8 Plus.

As for using the 3rd camera to do what Google does with 1 camera seems a bit backwards and unnecessary - Apple just needs to figure out how to do it with one camera then release the update to all their current phones for the last 3 years or so like Google did.

Would guess Apple would do the p20 layout or put all 3 in something like they currently have or put one on the other side for increased distance - they should thicken the phone so its flush and gets extra battery. JMHO...