Possibilities of a Triple-Lens iPhone Camera: Improved 3D Sensing, Zoom, and Low-Light Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. mistasopz macrumors 6502

Tim was able to salvage revenue by selling the third camera to the NSA.

2. Morgenland, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

The days of large sales figures are over. The market is saturated. Especially for high-priced devices.
    So why destroy good design to integrate superfluous s*hit?

The iPhone is great. Self-confidence of a brand is not emulate every stupid Zeitgeist idea of the competitors. Means: Not to correspond with kids wishes on MacRumors.

Apple might use several lenses when it really makes new things possible (stereographic photos and movies that can be watched with Apple's glasses).

And if you need better cameras for new ideas now, just connect DJI Pocket.
    I'm already doing first steps in that way. This makes even an SE an ultra-modern iPhone.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

But are the images actually true to life? In the example in the OP, the Pixel 3 image looks better, sure, but it looks like it was taken in the afternoon, which is not what I want if it was actually taken at dusk.

4. Mars56 Suspended

As always, apple are behind....

5. ScottC7 macrumors regular

ScottC7

Agreed. Let’s try to avoid the whole “you have to buy the gi-normous model to get the best features” business model Apple employed with the Plus models. Please Apple, employ feature parity between the X and X Max versions of the 2019 iPhones (XR version excluded).

6. Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

kiddy talk on mars

7. Red Oak macrumors regular

But yet, here you are. One of the first to post. Spending your personal time. Typing angrily on a 2009 iMac from your parent's basement

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

What makes them behind exactly? Sure features they could have but overall apple are on par tech wise

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Someone is triggered.

And I actually typed that from my $1,149 iPhone XS. I'm still giving them my money.

10. mozumder macrumors 6502a

We need an ultra wide angle lens before another zoom lens. This will help iPhone cinematographers could use that for 2.39:1 shots, and photographers are using the ultra wide angle add-on lenses more than zoom lenses.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    If Apple could put in an ultra-wide angle lens and an 8-stop variable ND filter, cinematographers would be in heaven...

11. chanerz macrumors 65816

12. interessiert macrumors regular

This expresses how Apple lost software competence to Google and others – also in hardware competence Apple isn't that outstanding any more – what a pity! :(
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    Of course it's HIGH TIME to improve camera system especially software processing!

Apple run! :apple::)
    (Because you've slept the last years considerably deep – look what your competitors achieved over the last 3 years...)

13. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I have an Apple X. I don't see anything worth upgrading to.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t know that the camera orientation wil look exactly like this render, but the point of having the cameras separated, is if they are off axis to each other, it provides a wider depth for virtual reality rendering also.

15. manu chao macrumors 603

You still have devices without Bluetooth?

As phones have become larger, the bending force on the headphone plug/cable at the phone end when sitting down has become so large that most headphone cables flake out within weeks for me (put the phone in a front pocket, headphone cable exiting at the top, now sit down, since the upper end of the phone is already pressing against my torso at that point, any headphone cable plug/cable will be bend by 90º under noticeable pressure, which quickly leads to failure of the cable at the point where it enters the plug).

16. Bacillus, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Hmpff. So it may take a 3rd lens to spot a new XSS in the streets. Indispensible addition...

Oops..The headphone jack may have obstructed his view when looking for BT inside his phone
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    I’ll accept the 3rd camera if it can be extruded/exchanged for a headphone jack
    Agree. Some Google app will offer the same effect as the 3rd camera

17. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Or have it visibly disabled by OS. Screen either side of notch still used, but dedicated to system/status icons so not annoying. Dark area at the top centre is the Huawei P20 Pro physical notch.

Screenshot_20190110_171753.jpg

18. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Ah, you mean noNotch jb tweak (we’re iOS here :()

19. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Speaking for myself, I have plenty of high quality audio equipment without Bluetooth. Excellent amp I have had for over 20 years and excellent mobile music player I have had for only about 5 years.

20. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Of course the images aren't true to life... else they'd be dark... like the original image.:D Besides, Night Sight is a mode. You'd have to choose it. In doing so, you aren't looking for true to life. If you were looking for true to life, you'd simply take a regular picture.

21. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Yes. When I first heard the rumours of Apple doing the notch I thought it would be good if the "reclaimed" screen was used only for status/system icons.
    Edit: To clarify "No Notch" is an option in Android settings.
    So when people take photos with a flash they aren't true to life either?

22. Bacillus, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Should have been standard iOS setting as well (“obfuscate screen anomalities”)
    I expect that shortly after the free-move of app icons

23. tobybrut macrumors newbie

I don't think this design is polarizing at all. To be polarizing, somebody would actually have to like it to take the opposite viewpoint. This is the ugliest possible design anyone could have come up with. Hopefully, someone at Apple was tasked with trolling the press.

24. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Possibly a controlled leak accomodating the broader public to something pretty bad (but not this bad:cool:)

25. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Axiomatic