Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

143304-safari_icon.jpg

DaringFireball's John Gruber appears to have slyly hinted that Apple may be planning to open the door to browser extensions on Safari at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) early next month. Gruber's comments come in the form of an apparent random musing that appears as part of a post on Google Chrome for Mac and Linux advancing out of the beta channel carrying support for thousands of extensions.
The other big thing that's missing (compared to both Chrome and Firefox) is a proper extension API. If only Apple had an imminent developer conference where they could unveil such a thing.
As is common with Gruber's hints, the tidbit is phrased more as a "what if" statement than an outright declaration that we should expect such an announcement, but it seems reasonable to guess that he may have some inside knowledge of Apple's work in this area.

Browser extensions are software add-ons designed to offer new functionality beyond that offered in the basic browser package or alter the way tasks are handled or content displayed. Application programming interfaces (APIs) for browser extensions provide a means for third-party developers to create their own add-ons, opening the door to significant modification of browsers' capabilities.

Apple has in the past used WWDC has a stage for Safari-related announcements. In 2007, the company announced the first beta versions of Safari 3, extending the browser onto Windows for the first time. A year later, as part of its early ramping of developer previews of Mac OS X Snow Leopard, the company began seeding beta versions of Safari 4 during WWDC. And in 2009, Apple officially brought Safari 4 out of beta at the conference.

Article Link: John Gruber Hints at Possible Introduction of Safari Extensions at WWDC

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Sounds good.

I'm not a big fan of extensions on any browser because I always feel like it slows my browsing experience down (even if I'm just imagining it)... but I'm excited to see what's in store.

Comment

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Open the browser to extension by non-:apple: entities? What heresy is this you spaketh. Perhaps you will use your sorcery and cast enchantment on the picture frame to causeth pictures to move of their own volition. Perhaps you will cast enchantment on the minstrels and imprison them in a small jewelbox of metal and glass, where they will play for your entertainment. Heresy! Madness and say I.....

It's about f***ing time Apple.

Comment

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Certainly this would be welcome. They'd be playing catchup, however with Firefox for both amount and quality of plugins.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
why is apple always behind on these things?

i predict they will have to go through an approval process that will take months and if you're rejected you will know when apple goons come to beat you with lead pipes for wasting their time

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Please God yes. I want my Inquisitor back, and the developer has said that he won't update it for SL unless there is an official API. I'm currently using Glims, but it's not as good.

Comment

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
Thats what I say. People bash Apple for "being late to the game" but at least they are making it to the game. :)

I think a better way to phrase this is "when they DO make it to the game, it's usually better than how anyone else does it."
And i'm happy. I'd rather have something that works great late than something that doesn't work early!

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
How about extensions for the iPhone & iPad? I would love an ad blocker like Firefox has. That would really reduce the load times on some sites that are all ads.

Comment

hailst0rm

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Am I the only one who detests extensions. I really don't want to see google toolbar being bundles with every bit of software I want to install :(

Comment

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
How about extensions for the iPhone & iPad? I would love an ad blocker like Firefox has. That would really reduce the load times on some sites that are all ads.

there is an adblocker for both on desktop and iphone. tho for iphone you need to jb. also it doesnt work with most ads anymore.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Plugin “management” in Firefox is a joke. Total engineers solution, no elegant at all. Chrome does a much better job.

[1] The ones you use are never ready when there's an update.
[2] They always need updating, a time consuming process involving multiple clicks.
[3] The damn thing has to restart afterwards.

I probably notice this more because I only launch Firefox once every week or two, but when I do I can guarantee one of the first things I'll be doing is restarting.

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
All I want is the ability to search Wikipedia from the search bar on the top right. On Internet Explorer and Firefox you have this button where you could click on and choose what website you wanted to search, such as YouTube, Facebook or Wikipedia. I don't much care for extensions, I bet they're just going to make the browser slower. I hated Firefox because each time you launch it, it first wants to install freaking updates to extensions I didn't even intend to use right away. And you can't freaking browse while it installs! Anyway, extensions suck on Firefox, they don't follow any kind of logical GUI schemes or anything, they're buggy and freaking slow, I hope Safari won't follow that!

Comment

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I can see the announcement at WWDC. Apple will make out like they thought of browser extensions first but waited until they felt it could be done better. Sometimes these keynotes make you want to puke.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.