Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
<rant>
What happened to the free market/competition in the United States? The entire phone subscription model is absolutely outrageous. What's next? Car manufacturers force drivers to purchase monthly gasoline contracts from gas companies? "Sorry, sir, you can't buy gasoline here. Your Mercedes is locked to using gasoline from BP only".</rant>

I agree. This release was supposed to "revolutionize the industry." The only thing being shaken up are the minds of the consumers that think this is still acceptable behavior.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
The point is that if you spend $600 on a phone, you should be able to use it however damn well you please. I understand the point of SIM locking on subsidized phones. But the iPhone isn't subsidized. You're paying full price for it, the only reason for the lock is greed.

Wait someone clarify something for me here, is Apple a publicly traded company or some kind of not for profit organization?

I could have sworn they were a company whose main goal was to turn a profit, but I've been wrong before.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
Wait someone clarify something for me here, is Apple a publicly traded company or some kind of not for profit organization?

I could have sworn they were a company whose main goal was to turn a profit, but I've been wrong before.

They are, and the fact that they are doing so in the exact same underhanded way the mobile phone industry has been doing for years is what is upsetting everyone. The device itself is fantastic, but the management and delivery to the consumer has and it appears always will be the problem.

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
They'd Better Release The Pricing Very Soon

How many will change their minds when they figure out it will cost $150/mo for the iPhone plan?:eek:

STEVE JOBS IS THE ANTI-CHRIST!!!:(

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
How many will change their minds when they figure out it will cost $150/mo for the iPhone plan?:eek:

STEVE JOBS IS THE ANTI-CHRIST!!!:(

oh come on! I agree it's not going to be cheap...but anyone with an AT&T smartphone on a data plan should not be shocked. There is nothing about this phone that should generate a higher cost to use than that. The caveat is whether or not you will have to get the higher priced data plan $35 like the Blackberry personal plan without messages or, the $20 unlimited plan I use with my Treo.

Let's just say my iPhone gets dropped and no longer works :( …I would take the sim and re-install it in my current phone…couldn't I go back to my current pricing as well??? ;)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

So when everyone here whines about how Microsoft charges like $400 for a full version of Vista Ultimate, they're not greedy and rather a company working toward their goal of turning a profit? When Verizon removes OBEX from their Bluetooth phones so you have to purchase ringtones rather than upload your own, they're not greedy and instead are a company trying to turn a profit? When a record company sues an 89 year old grandmother who's never used a computer in her life for sharing Metallica's album, they're not greedy, they're just trying to turn a profit? When Sony puts rootkits on their CDs to prevent you from using it in your computer, they're not greedy, they're just trying to turn a profit? See where I'm going with this? Just because they're a company, doesn't mean they can't be greedy.

chunkermunker

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
This thing is gonna

FLOP.....BIG TIME!!!!!!

I've seen fake posts circulated all throughout the web, reading " I know a manager for At&T and he said"

And its ALL LIES!!!

People are gonna look at the price of the Iphone and **** in their pants when they find out......

THEY HAVE TO ALSO PAY FOR DATA AND SERVICE

:eek: :eek: :eek:

HOW?

WHY?

People are stupid and the Iphone will completely flop.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
They are, and the fact that they are doing so in the exact same underhanded way the mobile phone industry has been doing for years is what is upsetting everyone. The device itself is fantastic, but the management and delivery to the consumer has and it appears always will be the problem.

What part is underhanded, exactly again?

In january, they said: $499 or $599
ATT Exclusive
2 year contract
Plan pricing to be determined later. This is pretty upfront to me.

And who is this "everyone" that is being upset again? Has anyone that is already a Cingulatt customer with a data plan and money for an iPhone expressed any grief about this in this thread and I missed it?!?

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
FLOP.....BIG TIME!!!!!!

I've seen fake posts circulated all throughout the web, reading " I know a manager for At&T and he said"

And its ALL LIES!!!

People are gonna look at the price of the Iphone and **** in their pants when they find out......

THEY HAVE TO ALSO PAY FOR DATA AND SERVICE

:eek: :eek: :eek:

HOW?

WHY?

People are stupid and the Iphone will completely flop.

I've bought more than one fone in the last 3 years that was more than $400 and had no expectation that i was going to not pay for voice and data.

Only an idiot would think otherwise. What the hell are you ON? I think its time for your evening repose :)

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
So when everyone here whines about how Microsoft charges like $400 for a full version of Vista Ultimate, they're not greedy and rather a company working toward their goal of turning a profit? When Verizon removes OBEX from their Bluetooth phones so you have to purchase ringtones rather than upload your own, they're not greedy and instead are a company trying to turn a profit? When a record company sues an 89 year old grandmother who's never used a computer in her life for sharing Metallica's album, they're not greedy, they're just trying to turn a profit? When Sony puts rootkits on their CDs to prevent you from using it in your computer, they're not greedy, they're just trying to turn a profit? See where I'm going with this? Just because they're a company, doesn't mean they can't be greedy.

What does charging market ****ing rates for voice and data service have to do with being greedy?

Charging double or triple that is "greedy" (technically its profiteering) but market rate is "greedy"?!?!

And YOU STILL aren't getting it on Verizon or T-Mobile :)

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
What part is underhanded, exactly again?

In january, they said: $499 or $599
ATT Exclusive
2 year contract
Plan pricing to be determined later. This is pretty upfront to me.

And who is this "everyone" that is being upset again? Has anyone that is already a Cingulatt customer with a data plan and money for an iPhone expressed any grief about this in this thread and I missed it?!?

RnSK you've been covering this thread like its your first born that we are talking about. As firm and positive you are about the release and belief that the positives outweigh the negatives, there are others who believe the oppositie.

What is underhanded is first of all, removing the "with 2 yr contract" from the commercials after all of the uproar online. Why would they do that? Seems a bit shady to show something then take it away. And feel free to spout some nonsense that within 24 hours of airing they and AT&T decided to change that requirement,or that someone from Microsoft got into the system and added it...

As for the phone, like I said, this is showing us nothing new. The service it is providing is nothing new. Where is the revolution? Flip and a dab, dibble and a doodle? Play mp3s on your phone, videos? All just with such "simplicity."

With the effort one takes to learn the keyboard on the phone one could have used that exact same effort to perform every other of the same iphone features on many other mobiles. Every phone has a learning curve and the iPhone's will be just as steep.

Being tied down to any carrier, no matter how great or what device is what needs to be eliminated. That is the revolution that is necessary.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What does charging market ****ing rates for voice and data service have to do with being greedy?

Charging double or triple that is "greedy" (technically its profiteering) but market rate is "greedy"?!?!

And YOU STILL aren't getting it on Verizon or T-Mobile :)

I DON'T want it on T-Mobile.

It's not even data prices (which are overpriced, but I digress), its the fact that you're paying half a grand for a phone that's LOCKED and they won't unlock it for you. It's not subsidized, it shouldn't be locked. If you pay full price, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
You're paying full price for it, the only reason for the lock is greed.

The reason for the lock is those were the terms of the agreement. I mean come ON T-frickin-OMG-I'm-roaming-again-no-network-havin-one-band-MOBILE?!?!

The SideKick Phone Company?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The reason for the lock is those were the terms of the agreement. I mean come ON T-frickin-OMG-I'm-roaming-again-no-network-havin-one-band-MOBILE?!?!

Yes, the Sidekick phone company. Yes, the one band phone company. Yes, the I've never dropped a call and have coverage everywhere I go phone company.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006

It is shocking that people even think about roaming or dropped calls in this day and age. These are the things I am talking about that need to get fixed.

But I must say, you are flying the Cingular/AT&T&T&T&T flag high in your front yard like no one else I know. I'm just going by what the norm seems to be online, and that is that cingular gets a bad rap for their service.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
If you pay full price, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it

But you can't. Did you just find out yesterday that the phone was going to be an ATT exclusive?

What is all this kerfuffle about again?

Dude, T-mobile stopped unlock full price sidekicks years ago...they sold the 8801 at damn near black market, locked...

99% of fones sold thru carriers are sim locked...regardless of price...because its not about the subsidy, its about the service.

I buy my fones off the web at a premium so i don't have to deal with the locking...BUT THIS IS NOT AN OPTION with this model...and all of the hand wringing on earth won't make a bit of difference.

Its hard to be sympathetic *when all of these things have been know* for 6 months.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It is shocking that people even think about roaming or dropped calls in this day and age. These are the things I am talking about that need to get fixed.

There's nothing wrong with roaming. It's great. No single carrier could realistically cover the entire country, especially the rural areas, so roaming allows their customers to have coverage in more spots. There's no worry. Its dropped calls that we shouldn't have to worry about.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
But you can't. Did you just find out yesterday that the phone was going to be an ATT exclusive?

What is all this kerfuffle about again?

Dude, T-mobile stopped unlock full price sidekicks years ago...they sold the 8801 at damn near black market, locked...

99% of fones sold thru carriers are sim locked...regardless of price...because its not about the subsidy, its about the service.

I buy my fones off the web at a premium so i don't have to deal with the locking...BUT THIS IS NOT AN OPTION with this model...and all of the hand wringing on earth won't make a bit of difference.

Its hard to be sympathetic *when all of these things have been know* for 6 months.

Except T-Mobile will unlock phones for you. I needed my BlackBerry Pearl unlocked. I called them, and they e-mailed me an unlock code the next day. Even phones that are T-Mobile Exclusive (such as the Pearl was at one point in the US) they'll unlock for you.

I do believe they'll unlock the Sidekick as well. Due to it's tight integration with Danger's servers, it won't work for anything besides voice on other carriers, but I'm pretty sure they'll provide unlock codes for you.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
But I must say, you are flying the Cingular/AT&T&T&T&T flag high in your front yard like no one else I know. I'm just going by what the norm seems to be online, and that is that cingular gets a bad rap for their service.

Maybe its because of where i live (big metroplex) and where I go (other big metroplexen)...but i mean i even ended up in this weird airport in ohio once where we had to walk to the plane...i still could call my wife (via the local GSM carrier my phone jumped on) and let her know what was going on and Cingular didn't charge me a penny extra.

YMMV...if you live in the blue ridge mountains...but on a quadband I've never been without...and never got a "thanks for using Cingular...SUKKAAA" bill.

No other provider has been able to match this with any level of consistency.

People that wanna tether from major airports loves them some EVDO...but that doesn't help much when ya wanna talk to someone and can't. The killer app for phones truly s making calls...and verizon's network is smaller....sprintpcs and nextel, smaller still.

desimus

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
No Cell Phone Company has it perfect yet...

A simple google search of the following "Cingular Sucks" "T-Mobile Sucks" "Sprint Sucks" "Verizon Sucks" for all those people unsatisfied with their service yields the following results:

Cingular 785,000 hits
Sprint 997,000 hits
Verizon 1,030,000 hits
T-Mobile 1,590,000 hits

All that to say... no cell phone company has it perfect yet.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Maybe its because of where i live (big metroplex) and where I go (other big metroplexen)...but i mean i even ended up in this weird airport in ohio once where we had to walk to the plane...i still could call my wife (via the local GSM carrier my phone jumped on) and let her know what was going on and Cingular didn't charge me a penny extra.

Free roaming...pretty much every carrier has that :rolleyes: I've never paid a penny for domestic roaming either.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
A simple google search of the following "Cingular Sucks" "T-Mobile Sucks" "Sprint Sucks" "Verizon Sucks" for all those people unsatisfied with their service yields the following results:

Cingular 785,000 hits
Sprint 997,000 hits
Verizon 1,030,000 hits
T-Mobile 1,590,000 hits

I got different
Cingular- Results 1 - 10 of about 782,000 for cingular sucks. (0.08 seconds) + Results 1 - 10 of about 617,000 for AT&T wireless sucks. (0.09 seconds)

t-mobile- Results 1 - 10 of about 624,000 for t-mobile sucks. (0.03 seconds)

sprint- Results 1 - 10 of about 1,030,000 for sprint sucks. (0.12 seconds)

verizon - Results 1 - 10 of about 1,180,000 for verizon sucks. (0.09 seconds)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Cingular 785,000 hits
Sprint 997,000 hits
Verizon 1,030,000 hits
T-Mobile 1,590,000 hits

Uhh, I just did the same search and got very different results. I included my query in quotes, because searching for "Verizon Sucks" (no quotes) will return results such as "Sprint sucks, I just switched to Verizon and they're awesome!" since both of your keywords are in there

Using "___ Sucks", in quotes, I get:

Cingular: 13,100
Sprint: 16,500
Verizon: 19,200
T-Mobile: 574 :p

Of course, Sprint and Verizon can be skewed since that's possibly including results from their respective landline/FiOS services

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
Except T-Mobile will unlock phones for you.

So will ATT.

Just not *this* one...because the manufacturer forbids it.

My Cingular branded Blackjack was unlocked. I called and asked them because i was "going overseas". Samsung allows this. Done deal.

This will come as a shock to you...but feel free to look it up.

The MANUFACTURER sets this bar (usually because the carrier dicks with them on features, along with contractual obligations so they can sell in other markets, or the open one, as they please, at different rates) *not* the carrier.

Look it up. Quit shifting the blames here...one post its apple, one its cinulatt.

Make up my mind :)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So will ATT.

Just not *this* one...because the manufacturer forbids it.

My Cingular branded Blackjack was unlocked. I called and asked them because i was "going overseas". Samsung allows this. Done deal.

This will come as a shock to you...but feel free to look it up.

The MANUFACTURER sets this bar (usually because the carrier dicks with them on features, along with contractual obligations so they can sell in other markets, or the open one, as they please, at different rates) *not* the carrier.

Look it up. Quit shifting the blames here...one post its apple, one its cinulatt.

Make up my mind :)

I don't give a damn who's barring it from being unlocked, I give a damn that it won't be unlocked. A phone at that price, and unsubsidized at that, should be either sold unlocked, or locked with the option to unlock it. Whether its ATT or Apple, I don't care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.