Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
If I use 800 minutes a month, I'll be giving up 200 minutes with T-Mobile, or at AT&T for the same price, I'd have 350 minutes of overages, a huge bill, and no rollover minutes to carry over.

If you always use 800 minutes (800, 800, 800, 800...) then sure, you're right. But if it looks more like this (200, 350, 450, 300, 300, 700, 300, 550) then rollover works. Obviously, you have to look at your own usage to see which style works better, but most individual plans tend toward fairly low use (relative to the montly limit) with spikes every few months. These people are "wasting money" when the plan doesn't have rollover.

It all comes down to variance. Variance seems to be in the 100-200 minutes range, which puts even you in danger of extra charges with no rollover.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
The reason why AT&T/Cingular employees don't know is that they don't have any information on the service plans. This info won't be released until iDay. Normally they would have posters and hand-outs, but the employees won't be processing activations at Apple or AT&T stores.

It will all be done via iTunes:
http://www.applevoicesshow.com/13/apple-plans-on-instantly-activating-all-those-iphones

If the link above I posted is true we should know the plans by Weds. Also the ATT VP said plans to be announce before friday as well...

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I guess the rate plan deal is a lot like beating a dead horse. There can really only be 2 reasons why ATT hasn't announced them yet.
1) They are trying to increase the hype to fever pitch, and don't want to scare the average joe away by introducing standard $100 recurring monthly fees.
2) ATT is working on a custom deal to fit the average customers needs.

But isn't that what everyone has been saying?:D

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Damn is that all you get with Cingular. What a joke... I have sprint right now with a 6700. EV-DO and unlimited text messaging (I didn't even know people still pay for text messaging by the text or have limits) for I think around 20 and I might have picture. But more importantly 100/month for 2500 anytime minutes, nights and weekends. - Family plan...

I thought for sure I wouldn't have to go over 60 for the iPhone but now... That would suck really bad.

Yeah, those Sprint minutes sure were handy as I stared at my nice Sprint phone with absolutely no signal...

The iPhone is on AT&T. AT&T's rates are what they are, with the iPhone or without. Aren't there other forums to debate which cell phone carrier is the best? Shouldn't we be focusing on the "Apple" portion of this thing?

ckontyko

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Which of these two scenarios is more appealing?

$500 + $40/month for data= $1460 + voice plan
$740 + $30/month for data= $1460 + voice plan

Ah, someone finally hit the nail on the head. I am not going to use a credit card, so I can save up for whatever the initial, one-time cost is. But, the monthly cost, that I have to earn each month, in order to pay the monthly plan cost.

So I would prefer $1100 + $15/month for data= $1460 + voice plan

That would kick but. I wish this was an option!

-CJ

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Hopefully you will not be required to have a data plan. I don't have one now, so I won't miss it. I on an old $30 Cingular voice plan that gives me all the minutes I need. I want to use my iPhone to make calls, listen to music, and to access the internet over WiFi. I've got WiFi at home, and at work. Who needs a data plan!

I'd bet a lot of cashola that a data plan will be required to purchase an iPhone.
Data is where AT&T is going to make their $.

rimclean

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Sidekick plan

I have to say that price sucks. I have a sidekick and have unlimited data AND unlimited text messaging for $20.

Oh, and the sidekick has instant messaging (AIM, Yahoo and MSN)

The iphone looks great but that is a LOT for data.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The reason why AT&T/Cingular employees don't know is that they don't have any information on the service plans. This info won't be released until iDay. Normally they would have posters and hand-outs, but the employees won't be processing activations at Apple or AT&T stores.

It will all be done via iTunes:
http://www.applevoicesshow.com/13/apple-plans-on-instantly-activating-all-those-iphones

I agree & see iTunes as the only way to possibly move that many units.
Launching iTunes with an yet activated iPhone will auto launch an "activation" section to iTunes Store. There, users will see the iPlans. Simply select your plan, choose your minutes and checkout.
Your iPhone will be auto activated once this process is final.

But I have zero inside info. Just a hunch.
Seems logical to me... :p

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I have to say that price sucks. I have a sidekick and have unlimited data AND unlimited text messaging for $20.

Oh, and the sidekick has instant messaging (AIM, Yahoo and MSN)

The iphone looks great but that is a LOT for data.

Well, you have to factor in the cost of mental anguish caused by being seen using a 14 year old girl's phone...

I kid, I kid.

popechild

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I mean...its $500 or $600 for a phone...people had 6 months to scrimp and save to work that out.

if your average mobile bill is $40/month...you find $30. If you are living that close to the edge where $30-$40 is a *deal breaker*...if you might have to live outside or skip meals, then, well, you are living above your means...a serious problem in America as it is.
Spending $100+ a month on a freaking cell phone when they could get the same thing for ~$60 without the cool factor is exactly HOW people end up "that close to the edge," and an example of the serious problem you're describing, not an alternative to it.

D829

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I would like to drop my home phone and my internet provider and just use this phone for all my needs , I don't use the internet much , only to read the news and email a few family members. I do have a iPod and love the iTunes store too.

My current cell provider's contract will expire in September, I guess I will being watching and seeing how this phone does with everyone.

popechild

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Ah, someone finally hit the nail on the head. I am not going to use a credit card, so I can save up for whatever the initial, one-time cost is. But, the monthly cost, that I have to earn each month, in order to pay the monthly plan cost.

So I would prefer $1100 + $15/month for data= $1460 + voice plan

That would kick but. I wish this was an option!

-CJ
Nobody's stopping you from doing it that way. Just save up the $1100 anyway if that's the easy part, then put the extra $500 in the bank and pay the extra monthly $ out of that? You might even make a little interest...

Yeah, those Sprint minutes sure were handy as I stared at my nice Sprint phone with absolutely no signal...
And this anecdotal evidence makes Sprint's way better pricing invalid? Name any two carriers and you can find people who have gotten better service from one than the other.

Well, you have to factor in the cost of mental anguish caused by being seen using a 14 year old girl's phone...
:D

People's opinions are basically split. Some people think these rates are way too high. Some people think they're pretty reasonable (The "I'm already paying $100 for my razr" crowd).

Basically, that second group is the people who are already getting screwed and just never realized it before.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Basically, that second group is the people who are already getting screwed and just never realized it before.

you left out the part about us "screw-ees" get to use the most advanced and mac like phone on the planet where as $10 per month for data and a Gaggilion minutes per month Sprint users...

do not...

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
So, at these rates sounds like only 1/2 are in...

Now that people are equally split on whether or not the pricing is fair, let look at it this way. These speculated (mostly current ATT pricing) prices are not enough to get the lines out the door which is what Apple and ATT want.

It sounds like $10-15 lower per month, or in the range of $60-70 Total voice/data unlimited would please just about everyone.

If everyone's pleased, the lines will be long. At anything above $70/month voice/data, I don't see a reason why Verizon would have passed up on the deal.

Apple's cut could only be $1-2/month AND considering that ATT doesn't have to subsidize the iPhone, there is no reason why ATT wouldn't go lower. And if ATT didn't agree to go lower, there is no way that Apple locks into a 5 year exclusive.

Rates above $70/month voice/data are like ATT/Apple bunting and beating the throw to first base. What they are looking to do is hit a home run, preferably a Grand Slam on Friday... This will happen in the pricing.

Awesome phone
Good rate plan

Happy Day for Apple & ATT

zevucsd

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
Sim Swap

I just hope someone figures out how to swap sim cards eventually. I pay only $50 per month for 1500 national minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, and $20 for unlimited data on T-Mobile and use almost all my minutes. I would love the iPhone but nothing anywhere even comes close to touching that plan.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
And this anecdotal evidence makes Sprint's way better pricing invalid? Name any two carriers and you can find people who have gotten better service from one than the other.

Well, that is my point. Price is secondary in the cell phone game. *Coverage* is key. So, if one company has a better price but worse coverage *for me*, then I'm picking the company with the worse price but better coverage. This is exactly why I ditched Sprint for Cingular back in the day.

We see the same thing when people whine about no 3G when they aren't even in an area that gets decent 3G coverage.

Price is easy to argue about because it's fixed. Coverage depends on each individual's location, so only the individual can make that decision. Living in LA, I can in no way bring myself to use Sprint no matter how cheap it is, so Sprint's pricing is effectively irrelevant to me. I'm not saying everybody is in my shoes, but focusing simply on price is silly, just like focusing on bullet-lists of features does not tell you if the phone is great or a POS.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
Spending $100+ a month on a freaking cell phone when they could get the same thing for ~$60 without the cool factor is exactly HOW people end up "that close to the edge," and an example of the serious problem you're describing, not an alternative to it.

No...only people THAT CAN'T AFFORD IT you moron :)

It is really that hard?

Its only on ATT. If you don't like it, you'll NEVER EVER HAVE an iPhone...at any price.

Might as well move on to a whole other forum, huh :)

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
In summary...

All of this pissing and moaning is a whole new level of idiotic.

These are the facts:

iPhone is exclusive to ATT in the USA for 5 years.

iPhone is interwoven with with iTunes.

iPhone is ATT's Sidekick but, in a wholly unprecedented move, controlled by the manufacturer Apple.

ATT will charge whatever the hell they want for it.

If any of the above aren't going to work for you, its a dead issue and you are wasting Arn's valuable storage quotas on this endless droning.

Not on Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, or anything else.

I mean...thats like...It people. It. It. It.

I'll let you guys know how it works out, 'kay :)

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
bwahahahahahahahaha

you left out the part about us "screw-ees" get to use the most advanced and mac like phone on the planet where as $10 per month for data and a Gaggilion minutes per month Sprint users...

do not...

Oh man. That was cruel :)

(he says as he reaches for the vaseline he reserves special for Apple and Cingulatt...)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Oh man. That was cruel :)

(he says as he reaches for the vaseline he reserves special for Apple and Cingulatt...)

Your post above (the first one sans Vasiline) is right on... pretty soon the reality of the situation is going to set in....

No matter how low your data plan is on Sprint/T-Mobile, no matter how many minutes you get for less money then ATT.....you need to come with grips and realize that if you don't like the deal ATT is offering then you may just have to sit the iPhone out...

Maybe wait for the 6g ipod (and still carry two devices around and have a sucky web experience or none at all) (or buy a sidekick... I kid I kid!)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
No matter how low your data plan is on Sprint/T-Mobile, no matter how many minutes you get for less money then ATT.....you need to come with grips and realize that if you don't like the deal ATT is offering then you may just have to sit the iPhone out...

Yes, I'm oh so sad that I can't leave my awesome, reasonably priced carrier to spend twice as much to use an overpriced phone that lacks simple features like MMS, IM and a removable battery. I've barely come to grips with it :rolleyes:

If ATT really is going to charge nearly 50 bucks for data, that's not rape, that's flat out extortion.

popechild

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007

do not...

Yeah, for sure. I'm not saying it won't be a better phone than most, or even the best phone on the planet. Nobody can say whether or not it's "worth it" or not, because that's a subjective argument. My point is just that the people who think these rates are normal because they've been paying them already for the same phones/service they could get way cheaper somewhere else aren't necessarily in the best position to realize why these rates seem really high to the people who are used to only paying $60/mo for a Treo w/ voice & data.

Will the iPhone be better enough to warrant the much higher cost? Maybe.

Well, that is my point. Price is secondary in the cell phone game. *Coverage* is key. So, if one company has a better price but worse coverage *for me*, then I'm picking the company with the worse price but better coverage. This is exactly why I ditched Sprint for Cingular back in the day.

We see the same thing when people whine about no 3G when they aren't even in an area that gets decent 3G coverage.

Price is easy to argue about because it's fixed. Coverage depends on each individual's location, so only the individual can make that decision. Living in LA, I can in no way bring myself to use Sprint no matter how cheap it is, so Sprint's pricing is effectively irrelevant to me. I'm not saying everybody is in my shoes, but focusing simply on price is silly, just like focusing on bullet-lists of features does not tell you if the phone is great or a POS.
Exactly, but that's why I didn't understand why you would use coverage as an issue in comparing rate plans. Obviously if you don't get coverage with a carrier, you won't use that carrier. But it's impossible to make blanket comparisons on coverage.

FWIW, I live in LA and have had Sprint for 2 years. I can't recall ever dropping a call due to coverage, ever. Maybe once. So even just "living in LA" doesn't narrow it down enough to say someone living in LA is going to have bad coverage with a carrier.

No...only people THAT CAN'T AFFORD IT you moron :)

It is really that hard?

Its only on ATT. If you don't like it, you'll NEVER EVER HAVE an iPhone...at any price.

Might as well move on to a whole other forum, huh :)
Wow, rough day? Of course no one has to buy one. I don't see what the big deal is about people discussing whether or not they think it's reasonable pricing or not though. It's a discussion forum, not a cheerleading club, right?

KeareB

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003

Your post above (the first one sans Vasiline) is right on... pretty soon the reality of the situation is going to set in....

Maybe wait for the 6g ipod (and still carry two devices around and have a sucky web experience or none at all) (or buy a sidekick... I kid I kid!)

But what if Apple/AT&T actually haven't yet made up their minds on the rate plan, and have their eyes glued to this forum to help them as they try to figure it out in the next 4 days? In that case, people's voices should be heard!!!

[I jest]. Thank goodness for some sense here. Indeed it's a free market. Some will buy, some won't. Different people will have different reasons for buying or not buying. There may be reasons why I don't end up purchasing an iPhone, but people in this forum trying to make the case that some hypothetical monthly rate is too expensive will not be one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.