Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Yes, I'm oh so sad that I can't leave my awesome, reasonably priced carrier to spend twice as much to use an overpriced phone that lacks simple features like MMS, IM and a removable battery. I've barely come to grips with it :rolleyes:

If ATT really is going to charge nearly 50 bucks for data, that's not rape, that's flat out extortion.

I'm super happy for you!

I'll be even super happier for you once I can read your posts on my new iPhone this Friday.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
But when has Apple ever been about cost? The day they decide to compete on price, is the day I think about leaving Apple.

Thank GOD they refuse to compete on price and put out crappy products.

Not saying it's a crappy product but wasn't the Apple Mac Mini an attempt at this:confused:

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, for sure. I'm not saying it won't be a better phone than most, or even the best phone on the planet. Nobody can say whether or not it's "worth it" or not, because that's a subjective argument. My point is just that the people who think these rates are normal because they've been paying them already for the same phones/service they could get way cheaper somewhere else aren't necessarily in the best position to realize why these rates seem really high to the people who are used to only paying $60/mo for a Treo w/ voice & data.

And my point is the you are correct as is anyone with an opinion on the ATT rates. It is all realtive to the purchaser.

The absolute here is that only ATT will be supporting the iPhone so one is either going to say yes or no to the rate plans.

Yes. You get to use an iphone.
No. Stick with what you got.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I am using the Media Max 200 bundle for $19.99 on my Treo. Unlimited data and 200 txt a month. Apparently "smartphones" are not suppose to have this plan but it works and I am not paying $40 a month for a data connect plan on slow EDGE.

I hope I can use this on the iPhone or the plan is similar.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Obviously, what strategy you use depends on your usage. If you often have lots of unused minutes, but some months you don't, a rollover plan fits you perfectly.

well, I think its safe to assume most ppl use about same amount of minutes every month. except those who have 2 month vacation. lol

anyway, I think a study about the practical usefulness of rollover is needed.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
iPhone DOA

Wow there are a lot of strong opinions here.:eek:

I would just like to say that the iPhone is DOA at these prices.
The people that would buy the iPhone aren't going to pay those prices.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Actually, I believe that is false. There have been many sites that don't even know if it will be AT&T exclusive for 2 years, let alone 5.

We know it is at least 2 years since Steve etc.. have said multi-year exculsive...

and i _think_ (99% sure) i read where an ATT exec himself said 5 years... but I do not have the link to back that up.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
Yeah buddy...it ain't always about the Benjamins...

Well, that is my point. Price is secondary in the cell phone game. *Coverage* is key. So, if one company has a better price but worse coverage *for me*, then I'm picking the company with the worse price but better coverage. This is exactly why I ditched Sprint for Cingular back in the day.

We see the same thing when people whine about no 3G when they aren't even in an area that gets decent 3G coverage.

Price is easy to argue about because it's fixed. Coverage depends on each individual's location, so only the individual can make that decision. Living in LA, I can in no way bring myself to use Sprint no matter how cheap it is, so Sprint's pricing is effectively irrelevant to me. I'm not saying everybody is in my shoes, but focusing simply on price is silly, just like focusing on bullet-lists of features does not tell you if the phone is great or a POS.

I was an ATT Wireless customer (which is not the same as the "new" ATT Mobility, btw) but SBC/Cingular were doing the "we're buying ATT Wireless" thing...

So Anyway, I go on a trip to San Francisco from the East Coast. I was involved in a new product release and as I was in the air on a cross-con flight, my fone was getting *hammered* from calls being forwarded to me from the home base.

I land in SF...I turn on my fone and look at my wife with that WTF?! look. Just insane amount of missed calls.

I need another fone now....i can't use this number anymore for personal calls...what in HELL am I gonna do?

Well, when we get to the hotel, I call the Cingular store on Market downtown and explain my problem. But, sigh, there is a problem. They don't have anymore "blue" SIMS! The put me on hold.

They found an indy vendor about 10 blocks from them that had one...I had no idea where it was...so they sent one of their guys to go and buy it, and give me directions to the store to meet him.

I just so happened to have a spare fone on me (i always do when i travel...you just never know)...so they took care of getting me a new number for my home state...i mentioned that I'm terrible with memorizing phone numbers so they snagged me a nice one...4 unique numbers...the last two the year i was born.

Fantastic.

Oh. And they didn't even charge me for the SIM :)

This one store went above and beyond for an out of towner that they as far as they knew would never see again.

Customer for life.

Contrast this with SprintPCS...a company who conspired to always charge me overages because (at the time) my "credit" wouldn't allow me to get the next higher up plan (it was $25 dollars more, btw) that would give me so many omre minutes I would NEVER go over...even tho I always paid the overages *immediately*...thus demonstrating i was obviously able to afford a higher base plan.

Sprint even *acknowledged this*...and still refused to remedy it. It was VERY apparent to me that this sort of thing was part of their business plan.

Ef'em.

This happened to me one time too many when I was away on business (and getting reamed with roaming charges)...so no longer would they have the opportunity to do this to me again. They may have changed. I'll never know.

I used to work for Verizon Wireless in System Engineering. I know better. I was there when the pieces were being put in place for the lockdown schemes they are famous for. As GSM was emerging, they did the old "no one will adopt that widely...it will be years before that becomes big enough to be a factor..and besides...we've got NYNEX Mobile + GTE + Airtouch as One Big Happy Family...we're invincible" thing...this lack of foresight is why the 1 and 2 spot bounces between them and ATT. GSM let them grow their network faster. I warned everyone I knew personally on Verizon to run away :)

Cingulatt can have my money. My phone works, and they work for me. And at the end of the day, thats worth a hell of a lot more than $20 or $30 a month for more coffees...to me :)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
They also sparred over the iPhone. As previously reported by USA TODAY, Verizon passed on the opportunity to become the exclusive U.S. distributor, balking at Apple's demand for control over distribution, pricing, marketing and more. That left an opening for AT&T — then called Cingular — to cement a deal

I just noticed something... I do not think I have read a story or even a rumor that apple went to Sprint at all.....

I wonder if they even bothered... I mean IF you are going to strangle your phones wth CDMA (forcing you to build 2 models instead of 1 to serve all the markets in the world.) might as well go to Verizon.

I mean I guess they probably maybe went to sprint but maybe apple just plain knew sprint could not handle it... to say nothing of not having the marketing dollars of an ATT or Verizon...

lemoncrsh

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
iPlan! Prices

I visited an ATT store after work today just to make sure I was "approved" to switch to ATT. While there, I spoke with a sales rep. about the iPhone data plan and she gave me a sheet that has all the normal rates and she told me to just add $40 to whatever plan that interest me. (no specific iPhone plan)

Example:

$39.99 for 450 min. + $40 unlimited data

She said that it was UNLIMITED data NOT including text messages. Texting is an add-on service which is $9.99 for 1000 txt and $19.99 for UNLIMITED texting. She did NOT specify whether or not the data plan was mandatory.

We'll see!!

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
well, I think its safe to assume most ppl use about same amount of minutes every month. except those who have 2 month vacation. lol

Ask Cingulatt customers. They'll (we'll) tell you. Get the plan where you'll "never use all those minutes."

Within two months, its like an instant upgrade...you get a 600min plan when you'd "normally" only use 450...by month 3 you've got over 1000 mins...and it just keeps accumulating. I've got so many rollover minutes now i'm thinking of downgrading at this point, lol...I'm talking thousands of minutes.

And I don't have a landline. All of my relatives across the country (except my idiot "baby" brother and my grandfather) have ATT mobiles...so we talk to each other for free. Whenever we want. No long distance or minutes used.

Its a beautiful thing. And for those that aren't with the program, I have so many rollover minutes that its just not a consideration; I don't have to cut people off because of the minutes bomb. Without rollover this just wouldn't be possible; I can use my mobile as I would a landline.

Good times.

And I can get an iPhone without having to worry about leaving my provider. Even better :)

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
Watch you local and national news starting Thursday...

...Apple will sell every single phone they ship into the USA.

Paris Hilton, Steve Colbert and (insert rapper here) will flash one and the deal is sealed.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
But what if Apple/AT&T actually haven't yet made up their minds on the rate plan, and have their eyes glued to this forum to help them as they try to figure it out in the next 4 days? In that case, people's voices should be heard!!!

Doubt it, unless AT&T will hand out zerox copies of their rate plans on iDay. I don't think reading these forums, brainstorming at corporate, deciding on the "iPlan", have marketing design appropriate brochures and other iPhone literature, get them to the press, print it out and deliver for opening day all in four days. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Rather, I believe this to be the scenario...

Corporate is reading the posts in this and similar forums and are saying, "My God, we f***-ed up"! (excuse the language):D

JasonJack

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
guys, I want to call this post on BG whatever invalid. BGN also says that there will be no iPhones in apple store until Friday, the next post up debunks that.

EDIT:

iphone.macworld.com
"In the comments section of this very blog (and in a follow-up conversation with me), Mac radio host Shawn King reports that AT&T’s monthly unlimited data plan for the iPhone will be $20. AT&T’s current “SmartPhone Unlimited” plan is — you guessed it — $20.

Meanwhile, “Boy Genius Report” says that according to a “pretty high up source” the “iPlan” will “be around $34.99-$44.99.”

Put them both together and it sounds like we’re talking about $55-65 a month for your iPhone service. Not dirt cheap, but not at all out of line with what people are paying for existing data phone plans.

Thanks to Shawn King for weighing in repeatedly on this one — you can read more in the comments."

disagree with the conclusions, total monthly cost may be total voice+$20 for data

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

I don't think it's safe to say that at all. My minutes spike any month where I go out of town since I'm calling friends and relatives all the time rather than actually seeing them. I don't want to upgrade my cell phone plan just to cover those few months when the rest of the year my minutes go wasted.

Again, that's just me. Like I said, you have to look at your own usage over the last year and see how variable you seem to be.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
If all you want is voice and text then how do you expect to use the widgets and maximize the phone...Everything about the Iphone screams data to use...

Google maps = data
Widgets = data
Safari = data
YouTube = data

How about those people that just want it to have an integrated phone and ipod. Internet browsing over wi-fi is a bonus!

gamac

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
I think ATT and Apple know that, with the interface iPhone provides for browsing the internet, iPhone users will be downloading 10x, 100x, 1000x more bytes than they did with their previous phone.

This alone would justify the data price, they will need more bandwidth just to provide the service.

IMHO :)

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Im not trying to be rude about my HAHAHA but tyring to give a reality check here......Many people will bone up the 600 bucks to buy this phone...They will scrimp and save and sell off their mother to buy it...They then gripe that the plans will be too high...If your pinching pennies to get this and your griping about paying an extra 20-30 bucks then a Data type phone might not be for you...There is alot of hidden fees out there also along with no insurance on the phone...You drop it and break you just have a brick now...

Maybe those people need to w8 on the INANO phone that might not have the internet and such..Maybe just an ipod and phone

Some people pony up 60 Grand plus for their Cadilac Escalade SUV and gripe when gas prices goes up to $3.00 when it was under $2 bucks a year earlier.

A lot of people will pony up the price for the iPhone of their choice because that's the product they want but in order for the iPhone to work correctly it needs it's "gas" or data/voice plans and that comes from one provider, AT&T, and it can appear like we're being hit with higher gas prices - again! and, well, let the gripes begin.

We can only hope with the democrats now in control of Congress, that the "data plan" gouging hearings will begin the following monday.:eek:

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY

In ways, I agree with you, but in other ways, I disagree.
Agree: I think once people who don't know about the price of the plans see the prices they are about to pay, they will be running for the door.
Disagree: But then again, for people (like myself) who really really want an iPhone, I think people will pay it. While I think the amount of sales will drop, I still think they will make a pretty penny. And I don't think anyone doubts that.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
hmm

So... one can expect to be shelling out a good $80-90 every month to AT&T. Currently, I have a $50 unlocked GSM SonyEricsson handset that I use on T-Mobile prepaid in the US for 10 cents a minute and no access/monthly charges (just pop the SIM card in and there you go).

Considering I use about 200 minutes a month, the total cost would be:
Handset - $600
Contract over 24 months - ~$1900

My current arrangement would cost me $480 over the same time period. So, my actual cost for upgrading to a first generation iPhone would be over $2000 (over 24 months)!

Worse still, when I travelled overseas the phone would be useless: no local number and huge roaming charges (paying for EDGE access would be really useful while staying in Europe :rolleyes:) because the handset will be locked to AT&T. If you're paying $600 for a handset, it should be your phone not AT&T's.

<rant>
What happened to the free market/competition in the United States? The entire phone subscription model is absolutely outrageous. What's next? Car manufacturers force drivers to purchase monthly gasoline contracts from gas companies? "Sorry, sir, you can't buy gasoline here. Your Mercedes is locked to using gasoline from BP only".</rant>

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Ask Cingulatt customers. They'll (we'll) tell you. Get the plan where you'll "never use all those minutes."
well, I m with cingular, for about 3 years now.

i guess it all depends on how your cell habits are,

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
How does any of this...

Worse still, when I travelled overseas the phone would be useless: no local number and huge roaming charges (paying for EDGE access would be really useful while staying in Europe :rolleyes:) because the handset will be locked to AT&T. If you're paying $600 for a handset, it should be your phone not AT&T's.

...drivel above...even...ok how would this effect you at all since, mr. clever, you so smugly mentioned:

Currently, I have a $50 unlocked GSM SonyEricsson handset that I use on T-Mobile prepaid in the US for 10 cents a minute and no access/monthly charges (just pop the SIM card in and there you go).

So, you have a solution. What in HELL was your POINT?!?!

BTW...iPhone...ATT Exclusive in USA...5 Years....No CDMA...you'll pay what they charge or you won't use it...

End of Line.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
...drivel above...even...ok how would this effect you at all since, mr. clever, you so smugly mentioned:

So, you have a solution. What in HELL was your POINT?!?!

BTW...iPhone...ATT Exclusive in USA...5 Years....No CDMA...you'll pay what they charge or you won't use it...

End of Line.

The point is that if you spend $600 on a phone, you should be able to use it however damn well you please. I understand the point of SIM locking on subsidized phones. But the iPhone isn't subsidized. You're paying full price for it, the only reason for the lock is greed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.