Posting information about non-iOS phones in this forum.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VulchR, May 14, 2011.

?

Where should information about non-iOS phones be posted?

Poll closed May 21, 2011.
  1. In a seperate forum from the iPhone forum

76 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. In a sticky about non-iOS phones in this forum

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Here in the iPhone forum

53 vote(s)
    25.1%
  4. Not in MacRumors

69 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. VulchR, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Just wondering if others reading this forum are getting fed up with all the posts about Android and Samsung phones... I get that some people find it interesting, but I am just wondering how many of us are actually excited about posts and YouTube videos about non-iOS phones.

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I find it hypocritical when an iPhone owner replies to one of these (many) Android threads and is labelled a fanboy by people who can't see that they're nothing better.

If people want to discuss Android phones I don't see why they don't go to an Android forum where they'll get other like minded people replying.

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I think it's fine, no big deal. Everyone has their own preference and enjoy phones for their own reasons. No point getting offended by someone else's opinion.

4. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Agreed. This place is becoming androidrumors, if I wanted to find out all about android I would join an android forum.

There is a reason we are here and reading about android ain't one. ;)

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The problem (and not just on this forum, but in real life) is that its no longer just an opinion, wether I post on this forum or go out with friends I'll always run into people who ask me "what phone do you have" "oh, and iPhone 4, I have a ______ droid phone"

Before I know it they begin telling me that their phone has blah blah processor and 4G and etc... etc... and I just don't get it why Android users have to validate their own purchase so much.

I find it funny because the argument is always on that side of the conversation and when I walk away they feel like they won the argument that I wasn't a part of.

In my family my Mom and I use iPhones, my Brother a Blackberry and my Sister an Android phone and I can't think of a time when we have argued over who's phone was better because its a stupid argument to have.

6. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Precisely. If you have a full and happy life, there are better things to get worked up about than getting all het up because someone's opinion doesn't directly align with yours. Deal with it, and keep going.

I reckon you good people should just take it on the chin, and not react quite so much. If people are excited about new hardware, Apple or otherwise, then there's no harm in that at all... unless some of you are having problems accepting that non-apple manufacturers can actually produce amazing, possibly "better" (ambiguous phrase) devices?

The more you react to the posts about X/Y/Z Android devices, the more defensive and fanboyish you appear to the world, regardless if that is true or not. Keep your cool, and accept it as part of life - why should it even bother you after all? We're all adults here, hey.

If you're gonna put your fingers in your ears and say "laa laa laaaa I'm not listennnninnngg" whenever someone enthused or excited about Android pops up, then you're definitely coming across as a fanboy, whether that is your intention or not.

I love iOS, I love Android, and I just happen to prefer Android *at the moment*, as do many others. Either deal with criticism of iOS devices (and other, better specced devices), or maybe the forums are not the best place for you to be.

Bottom line: If you know something to be fact, categorically, then there's no need to defend it. I don't need to defend anything I believe in, because it is my belief, and yes - I'll accept the opinions of others, but that does not mean I need to lose my temper over it or go all guns blazing for "X vs Y" wars. That's what children do.

Enjoy the fact that there is a plethora of amazing mobile devices to *choose* from, and neither is better or worse - each has its' issues and strong points, so just like whatever you wanna like, and enjoy the debate.

:)

7. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

This message board has enough censorship as is, why would we want more? :rolleyes:

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

+1.

Don't Android fans have forums of their own? Or are they not popular enough? If I wanted to know more information about a specific Android device, I'd do research on it. I don't need some troll shoving garbage information down my throat, telling me the iPhone sucks because of blah blah blah. They just come across as immature little boys, that need to justify their purchase so they feel better about themselves. Seems more like jealously to me. If they really didn't care, they wouldn't be posting, nor trying to gloat about their device.

Oh and not to mention the bashing that goes on when the Android fanboy doesn't like the bias opinion from an APPLE forum. Funny how things work...

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I say we let it be. Its the most interesting the forums have been in awhile.

rdowns- you said that perfect.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Actually, the only thing I'm fed up with is all the people who want to censor some part of the site. Don't like it, don't read it. This isn't little league where everyone gets a trophy.

11. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

It's like joining a baseball league, and playing hockey... It's just not what you signed up for. So yes, there should be a separate section for 'Android fans that want to feel good about themselves'.

12. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Prove your maturity, and accept that we don't have to only discuss apple products in an apple forum. As for "jealousy", you're stepping right into that fanyboy box, without any assistance whatsoever. Quite ironic, seeing as your post was meant to be about stopping android fanboys from (supposedly) "ruining" your day. Jealousy is a very hard thing to prove, especially online, devoid of any conversational tone of voice. Maybe others could say you were jealous, but, let us face facts - who cares? Noone.

Me thinks some people have a chip on their shoulder, and the sooner a bird flies down, lands on their shoulder and eats it, the sooner they can focus on the real life issues.

I think I'd make a mint if I developed a FireFox script named "apple goggles", which allowed the user to filter out *any* android device name or keywords. Maybe then you good people could relax, convinced that the whole world revolves around No 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino.

13. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

According to poll results... Others do agree with me. I think that's enough to prove my point. It shouldn't be here, and nor do people want it here.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Being able to read or ask in a familiar forum about competing devices is a good thing.

However, it would help if there was a subsection just for comparison posts.

That way, those who prefer to, can ignore that subsection.

15. VulchR, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2011

VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

We could post information into forums in such a way so that the majority of iPhone forum readers, who are presumably interested in the iPhone, do not have to wade through marketing threads for Android.

I note that by all accounts WP7 is impressive, and yet we do not have the same flood of spam from WP7 fans. I therefore do wonder if Samsung or Google (or their marketing agencies) have paid people to post here. And that is why I object - I don't come here for advertising.

But like I said at the thread's start, I am genuinely curious if Android has generated so much enthusiasm that bona fide MR members are that interested about it.

@rdowns: I would not argue for excluding posts about non-iOS devices, so don't count me in as favoring censorship. I would prefer simply there was a dedicated forum for comparing iPhone to other devices. I prefer to come here to exchange views and information with other iPhone users about the iPhone. I frankly couldn't care less about Android (for the moment), but I know others here have a more general interest in technology.

@glossywhite: I'll use the argument against your point of view that has been used against mine: If you do not want to view a thread, then don't. My thread is clearly labeled and you made your choice. :rolleyes:

16. frunkis54, May 14, 2011

frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Thats because wp7 isn't pulling the numbers like andriod or iphone.

17. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

While I can appreciate and respect your comments, to suggest that it's out of place is being shortsighted.

There are two basic types of posts when it comes to Android which seems to be the "hot button issue".

1) The ones that are originated in MacRumors News Discussion.

2) The ones that individual members post in the iPhone section.

Either way they are part of the mobile communications and cellular business. They are direct competitors with the iPhone. They have a right to be exposed for all to read.

It's as simple as that :)

18. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

the andriod posts are fine till people start asking questions about rooting their andriod phone.

19. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Theres nothing wrong with discussing the competition.

20. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Nope.

Key word: Discussing.

21. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

LOL - clearly they're not employing enough forum-spammers.

22. Born Again macrumors regular

Come on guys even Mac rumors posts news stories of the competition

I don't mind - it really is good to see what apple has in store for us. It's not like they aren't watch either

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It would be a boring place if the only thing anyone ever posted was praise for the iPhone.

24. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

AMEN!!!! And we have way too much iPhone praise as is.

25. xAnthony, May 14, 2011

xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

At first, I just thought you were being sarcastic about all your previous posts throughout this forum... but now I just feel sorry for you. What do you expect from an iPhone forum? Did you expect to come here and find people praising Android devices?