Potential 'iPhone 8' Render Shows Vertical Camera and Rear Touch ID, But Likely One of Several Designs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2017.

1. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

2. apolloa macrumors G4

A Qualcomm demo of the technology:

And this Xiaomi phone has it but not behind the screen but at the bottom behind the glass:

This explains the idea of how it works:

LG also had something in the pipeline:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/phandroid.com/2016/05/02/lg-buttonless-fingerprint-scanner/amp/

Now, looking at the dates of these stories, and the fact it seems only 2 phones may have used the tech so far and not embedded into the screens, I perhaps wouldn't hold much hope of Apple getting it to work and fit for production anytime soon..

I guess we will have to listen to the rumours and see what the Galaxy Note 8 comes with as it's out before the iPhone 8 I believe.

So to answer your question, kind off currently not as such.

3. xflashx macrumors regular

And I am actually embracing them to make the iPhone thicker and not thinner again. But as they are increasing the thickness they might as well push their own limits and make the camera flat again. I believe if the camera is flat its orientation doesn't really matter anymore and would make the phone much prettier. Still at least for me a fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone is an absolute no-go for me. While it may have some advantages like many say here, at least for me there are too many disadvantages.

4. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

So if you don't like the iphone 8 you will be stuck with a 4 year old phone design!

From 2014. Let that sink in for a moment. In 2018 you will have a phone largely unchanged from 2014.

Sinking ship. I can barely see the smoke stacks.

5. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

According to the rumor, Apple's problem is low yields. This means they have it working, but can't mass produce it. I think many people fail to realize how difficult it is to manufacture and ship millions of phones worldwide. All one has to do is simply look at the failed launches of the Nexus/Pixel lines to understand that it's not an easy task.

6. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

High school CAD drawing! Look at the awful perspective. I can't believe that this photo comes from any company involved with Apple.

7. carpleror macrumors 6502

Why do I get the feeling Apple's holding back their integrated TouchID? I can see it already, put TouchID on the back of the iPhone 8 and call it innovation. "The best screen we've ever made." Then, come the iPhone 8S they'll integrate it into the screen so they have a new feature to justify a new phone. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope this rendering is not the design they ultimately go with, but I could totally see Apple doing this.

There's no more revolutionary innovation with them. They ultimately get to where they want to be, but it's always in stages and takes forever. I've said it before and I'll say it again, having had 3 years to totally redesign the iPhone there better be some real innovation in this upgrade. Otherwise, I'm jumping off the Apple Fanboy wagon. You've got one more shot Apple!

8. gim macrumors 6502

gim

That looks so terrible, I can't believe they'd even consider this kind of design.

9. alexgowers macrumors 65816

Oh ****, totally not enjoying this design! I get the horrid feeling with those dimensions apple have gone for some weird ass 2:1 aspect screen! WHY WHY WHY, 16:9 is universal and most people watch video, I HATE HATE HATE any other aspect ratios and they mess with UI and cut off videos HORRID. I get the feeling I'll be once again bypassing another year until apple learn how to design stuff again. It's like they've had a designectomy the past couple years, almost everything has got uglier and worse. I want to love the direction but I'm just getting cold feet all over the shop right now and this is putting the nail in the coffin of my apple admiration.

10. apolloa macrumors G4

What failed launches? The Nexus lines were so popular they ran out of stock. Never saw any reports of manufacturing issues with the Pixel?

11. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

12. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

I guarantee this is almost exactly what we're going to get. Sad days ahead.

13. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Apples innovation is gone. Totally.

Iphone 7s, 4 year old design.
    Again. So in 2018 you will have a phone almost unchanged from 2014.
    Got rid of thunderbolt display, airport routers, have not updated their desktops in literally years, laptops are lagging behind their rivals!

Then admitted they made a mistake on their desktops. No updates in years. Literally. Years.
    Ask yourself if any of this would have happened on steves watch!

Hell no.
    They forgot about what made them great in the first place and are totally profit driven. Reminds me of when Steve left Apple years ago. Same crap happened. Almost idenical. He is the new Scully. They not only need to cut his pay, they need tocut him.

14. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

It could be that with the addition of Face ID (facial recognition), Apple thinks the rear placement of Touch ID won't be much of a factor when it comes to sales as Apple expects most users to get used to/switch to Face ID for securing their device.

15. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Just want to say thats a great idea!

16. carpleror macrumors 6502

Consider this, the S8 has an awkward aspect ratio, the screen is super tall. No one creates video in 18:5:9, which means when you watch videos you're still gonna have black bars on the side (Obviously, this only applies to watching videos in landscape, apps will utilize the whole screen in portrait). Have you ever watched an old movie produced in fullscreen on your new widescreen TV and gotten eh black bars? Same concept. The standard is 16:9, which is what all the iPhones have had since the 6, that way you use the whole screen to watch videos. If Apple wants to keep that aspect ratio while getting rid of the top and bottom bezels, they will have to make the phone wider as well.

Personally, this doesn't bother me. I would rather have a wider phone and get to use the entire screen, instead of getting rid of the bezels only to have black bars where they were. Now, putting TouchID, that's another issue...

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

But there's always going to be something new to add to the phone. The idea that Apple would intentionally hold something back so they can save it for the next year is ridiculous. As ridiculous as those who say Apple intentionally constrains supply to create demand. As if everyone will buy a new phone every year or will wait for something to be available rather than buying something else (possibly from a competitor) or buy nothing at all. Silly talk.

18. JohnApples macrumors 65816

But couldn't that be fixed simply via software? I mean if you're gonna force people to do landscape video, why not just do it through an update?

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

How else do you design a phone these days? The only thing phone manufacturers are doing right now is shrinking bezels. If this cad drawing is correct that's what Apple appears to be doing too. The back of the Galaxy S8 doesn't look much different than it's predecessor.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2017 ---
    If you don't know how much stock existed how do you know how popular they were? I'm not aware of Google ever providing actual sales figures.

20. dazz87 macrumors 65816

and Apple wants us to spend up to 1k on that..................?

21. havenyoung macrumors regular

havenyoung

"The drawing appears to be from the EVT, or Engineering Verification Testing, stage. In other words, this could be one of over ten iPhone prototypes that Apple has supposedly been testing this year, and the iPhone that ultimately enters mass production later this year might have an entirely different design. "

This article should have just stopped there.

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

23. carpleror macrumors 6502

I agree that it's silly, but with the way Apple works lately, I wouldn't put it past them. Also, think about this. Although Apple wants to make the best phone they possibly can, they also have to be mindful of the jump that they're making now, and the jumps that are technologically possible for next year. If the 8 comes out with no top or bottom bezels (made possible by TouchID on the back), wireless charging, a better camera, longer battery life, and potentially other rumors that have been circulating, that's much more of an upgrade than the last two years. They could totally spin this from a marketing standpoint as innovation since these are the standards that other phones are using today. Then next year, which would be an S year and mean only a small upgrade, they pull out the big guns and integrate TouchID into the screen (which no one has done yet), they are showing true innovation AND have their key feature for the S model year.

24. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

Why stop when it makes money.

25. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Wrong. The iphone 7S will carry over the same design.

Really? You mean to tell me they couldn't change the design in four years? Samsung and every one else is!
    The back of the phone? Thats your reasoning? Seriously.

They couldn't have kept the same size phone and shrunk the bezels like the iphone 8. Or even try?

How about the desktops? Getting rid of whole products that complement other products to enhance the user experience? They are totally profit driven. That is why. Innovation and user experience takes a
    Back seat.
    Quit drinking the coolaid. If you pass on the iphone 8 and go with the 7S you will have in your hand a phone designed in 2014.

Let that sink in.