Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

@Ries. What evidence does this support? Nothing. This isn't even a render. And the first picture you posted by @LordQ (Formerly CarlosGQ) is a blueprint with schematic indications of legitimate hardware construction for production. This concept drawing will not happen in terms of the Touch ID placement.

Last edited:

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Wow, A concept photo and forum members are completely upset that this could be a possibility? It's completely superficial and fictitious with no evidence supporting anything that the iPhone 8 will look like this.

On the contrary. This isn't exactly a prototype shot with a circa mid-2000s flip-phone camera on a carpet or elevator floor (old-timers like me will surely remember those ;) ), but the industrial-looking Chinese powerpoint slide we're debating now looks an awful lot like other EVT prototype leaks from the past. It may not be the exact, final iPhone design, but there is a high chance that the latter will either look like this down to the awfully-placed TouchID sensor, or like some variant thereof.

zsamp

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
If the Apple iPhone 8 'Edition' will have Touch ID on the back of the phone, I will not get it. Having a fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone ruins Apple's iPhone design.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
On the contrary. This isn't exactly a prototype shot with a circa mid-2000s flip-phone camera on a carpet or elevator floor, but the industrial-looking Chinese powerpoint slide looks an awful lot like other EVT prototype leaks from the past. It may not be the final iPhone design, but there is a high chance that the latter will either look like this down to the awfully-placed TouchID sensor, or like some variant thereof.

On the contrary doesn't make a difference at all. This concept has no legitimacy or relevance to providing factual basis of anything. I have zero belief that the touch ID sensor be placed on the back of the iPhone, which will likely be embedded into the display or it will retain its current position until Apple is ready for a completely different version of where the touch ID sensor would be placed. I find it extremely unlikely to Apple would place the touch ID sensor on the rear of the phone, that's not the typical path they follow, as other competitors are doing. Anybody that knows Apple understands this.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
This looks like something Tim Cook would approve. The iPhone 5 was the last iPhone design Steve was personally involved in. Even today it is the gold standard in smartphone design.

maxresdefault.jpg

If they could use this design with at least a 4.7 inch screen it that would be sweet (I like the small form factor but also like a bigger screen for watching video on the train). Only draw back is I don't think wireless charging works with a metal backing with this design but I can trade that feature for how solid it's built.

RedWing512

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
Touch ID on the back? Say good bye to easily unlocking while on a flat surface, like my desk. Have unlock to preview for messages on? Tough luck.

Dumb move if comes to fruition.

Whatever happened to typing in a good, old-fashioned PIN?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
TouchID in the back of the iPhone would go against Apple's Accessibility efforts.
A person with a physical disability may have a hard time using TouchID in the back of the phone.
I don't think this model pictured in this post will be more than just a prototype.

Reactions: Glideslope

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Then this phone better be really strong since we wont be able to put it in a case anymore. How could they put the ID on the back? I've been an avid (if not rabid) Apple user for a long time. The direction this company has taken is enough to make Jobs roll in his grave. Hardly updating their hardware and focusing on cheap revenue generation (music) is the way of a failing company. Get your focus back!

Why can't you put it in a case? You do realize the majority of Android phones have the FPS on the back, right?

RedWing512

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
TouchID in the back of the iPhone would go against Apple's Accessibility efforts.
A person with a physical disability may have a hard time using TouchID in the back of the phone.
I don't think this model pictured in this post will be more than just a prototype.

You know, sometimes I wonder if any of the people here have actually used a phone with a fingerprint sensor on the back. Most phones (not the Galaxy S8) place the sensor exactly where your index finger would lay if you were holding the phone. I don't see what's so hard about that.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Touch ID on the back sounds fine (just like many Android phones), until you put the phone in your car. Then it is a total hassle. Plus Apple has been training its users for the home button placement/usage for so long, it's foolish imo to do this now (unless Apple do it both ways, which is unlikely).

I didn't think of TouchID on the back while docked in the car. That would totally make the phone unusable in the car. Android phones have it in the back doesn't mean it's a good idea. At least it's not right next to camera like S8, dumb design.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
This looks like something Tim Cook would approve. The iPhone 5 was the last iPhone design Steve was personally involved in. Even today it is the gold standard in smartphone design.

maxresdefault.jpg

TRUTH. the iPhone 6 was DESIGNED to go into a case - from the get-go. The iPhone 5 was designed to be used naked.

The 6 with its protruding camera and antenna lines screamed: PUT ME IN A CASE WHERE THESE DETAILS WILL BE SWALLOWED UP.

The 7 makes the protruding camera slightly prettier by moulding the case around the protrusion, and hides the antenna lines, and is what the 6 should have been when it was first launched.

Damn I miss the 5 - everyone who asks me about what phone to buy gets an SE recommendation from me.

On the topic at hand: Will not buy an iPhone w/ the fingerprint sensor on the back - I'll wait for the version where they figure out how to put it back on the front. Thanks Apple, you just saved me like, $2000 (CAD)... (probably. Crazy how my 7 came to almost $1500 after everything).

RedWing512

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
I didn't think of TouchID on the back while docked in the car. That would totally make the phone unusable in the car. Android phones have it in the back doesn't mean it's a good idea. At least it's not right next to camera like S8, dumb design.

SMH. That's why Android Auto exists...in fact, you can even use Android Auto without having it built-in to the car.

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
I am no longer shocked. This is most likely 80% real. reason why they will still release the 7s.

clayek

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually just bought an iPhone SE this week after losing my 6s, because I just wanted a "basic" model to hold me over until the new phones comes out this fall. I gotta admit, I actually like the shape and size of this phone more than the 6s that I had. All in all I'm really happy with my "downgrade", other then missing the 3D touch feature. I agree that this design is really good, although I still think the 4 was the best design from a purely aesthetic standpoint. I also think the black and space grey combo above looks really hideous, so I went with the silver and white for my SE, but that's just like, my opinion man.

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
My gf has a new phone, the thing she does not like is a Touch ID on the back.
I don't like it also, unlock it on a table.

TheHotdog

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
I hope this isn't real. Everything except the Touch ID on the back would be okay, but this is a step backward in my opinion. For the 10th anniversary iPhone, this is a nice slap in Steve Jobs face.

I agree with the comment on page 1. This is truly something Cook would sign off on. He has no sense of style, and every electronic since him taking position has proved that to me.

Oh well....

daverso

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007

maxresdefault.jpg
That's a 5s... But agreed. 5 was the best.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia

maxresdefault.jpg
this is so true... man i miss Jobs. Jony Ive is good but he needs another Steve Jobs to help push the limit of design and tech.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Funny how people are now saying the 5 was the best design when leaks of that design were constantly panned here and people joked that all it was was a stretched 4S. But now it's the best thing ever and a CAD drawing that may or may not be legit (and even if it is legit may not be the final design Apple went with) is the worst thing ever.

Reactions: Jax44

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Phil during the unveiling: " Our studies have shown that 96% of people will naturally rest their finger on this rear mounted sensor"

Reactions: sshambles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.