Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
CmdrLaForge said:
I really second that. Everything you said makes sense to me and I agree on it. I am in a similar situation. I currently use an iBook G3 900Mhz which works still perfect for me. I have no need for that much speed, but I have a need for a computer that lasts 5-7 years. I will not purchase old technology thats outdated soon after I bought it. That happened to me already with the G3. And of course I don't blame Apple for progress.

Mmm. But how long...it could be January 2005 announcement for an even later release...

I am very tempted by the 17, its features and new pricing...

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Simply unbelievable...

Wow, I can't believe I just read so many posts when I could have simply read OingoBoingo's post and been just as informed. Which was absolutely hilarious!

But there have been some people in this thread that do make some very good points.

I'm rather torn right now. I would love to have a G5 PB, but I really don't think it's very likely to happen anytime soon. But being as I'm currently in the market for a new PB it would piss me off beyond all reason if I were to buy a new PB in Q4 just to have the G5 released at MWSF '05.

I don't think it will happen. I too am convinced that the G5 PB will be the next generation of design and have a sleek and sexy new case. The G5 chip is so hot that Apple is going to have to fix that before they even think about putting it into a laptop. Last year I bought a 1ghz TiBook and that thing got pretty damn hot when I had it on my lap, especially during summer and I was wearing shorts! Yikes!

I had to sell my TiBook to help pay for a surgery for my wife, so this year I'm going to buy another PB, most likely in August/September. And I will be buying a 15" 1.5Ghz and will be MORE than happy. That 1ghz TiBook just absolutely SCREAMED...I don't care what some stupid benchmark test says, that TiBook ran circles around my buddy's 2.6Ghz Dell piece of crap...and it was ugly..

Which brings me to my last point. I personally didn't buy a TiBook only because it was the most powerful laptop on the market with the best OS ever created and overall perfect...I bought it because it was so damn sexy! Sure you can go buy a Dell and have a 3" piece of plastic sittin on your lap cutting off circulation to your legs because it's so heavy...if that's what you want to do, do it. But I want somethin that's powerful and sexy, and the PB series is just that. The design is unmatched, and to me that's worth an extra couple hundred bucks.

I can't afford to be upgrading PB's every one or two years...my next purchase this fall will need to last me quite some time, and if the G5 PB does happen to come out in january then oh well. If you wait for the newest technology to come out you'll never actually buy anything, you'll just sit around and complain because it's not out yet. Sheesh...

So say what you will about Apple droppin the ball, but I can't wait to get my new 15" PB (and likely my wife a 12" PB). It'll be great! Can't wait for that 128mb ATI card in a laptop! Amazing!

Oh, one more thing that's rather off topic...Some have said that there's no need for a G5 in a laptop right now...if you need that power get a desktop. Well, what do you think the 17" PB's are being marketed as? A desktop replacement!

:D

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
TyleRomeo said:
Maybe dual 1GHZ or dual 1.25GHZ for the 15 and 17 powerbooks. and bump the 12' to a single 1.5GHZ and max out the ibooks at 1.33GHZ and 1.25 for the 12 inch with a 167MHZ bus. What do you guys think?

Here comes the nuclear laptop...
No, absolutely freaking no way. The G4's are hot as they are, cramming two into a PowerBook is impossible. Have you seen the heat sinks in the last Dual G4 tower revision? You would not want to have a notebook 20cm thick now, would you?

The future is G5 (single).

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
aswitcher said:
Mmm. But how long...it could be January 2005 announcement for an even later release...

But you don't have a Mac yet ? Right ? I have one - and it will serve me and my needs well into middle '05.

And as soon as I think I need the new machine for any reason. I will not wait because in these forums anyone claims that new machines come next tuesday, instead I will buy it when I need it. Period.

Cheers

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Macrumors said:
BBC reports on the PowerBook/iBook updates today.

In the article, Greg Joswiak refused to speculate about the target for a PowerBook G5 introduction, but did state that "it will be some time before that processor [G5] will be in a notebook". He also points to the long lead time that it took for the G4 to make it into portables when it was first introduced.

With forums likes this, Apple can see that a lot of people are holding off buying as they think the next line with be G5s - he has to say something to make people get their money out.

h

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
evilgEEk said:
Wow, I can't believe I just read so many posts when I could have simply read OingoBoingo's post and been just as informed. Which was absolutely hilarious!

But there have been some people in this thread that do make some very good points.

I'm rather torn right now. I would love to have a G5 PB, but I really don't think it's very likely to happen anytime soon. But being as I'm currently in the market for a new PB it would piss me off beyond all reason if I were to buy a new PB in Q4 just to have the G5 released at MWSF '05.

I don't think it will happen. I too am convinced that the G5 PB will be the next generation of design and have a sleek and sexy new case. The G5 chip is so hot that Apple is going to have to fix that before they even think about putting it into a laptop. Last year I bought a 1ghz TiBook and that thing got pretty damn hot when I had it on my lap, especially during summer and I was wearing shorts! Yikes!

I had to sell my TiBook to help pay for a surgery for my wife, so this year I'm going to buy another PB, most likely in August/September. And I will be buying a 15" 1.5Ghz and will be MORE than happy. That 1ghz TiBook just absolutely SCREAMED...I don't care what some stupid benchmark test says, that TiBook ran circles around my buddy's 2.6Ghz Dell piece of crap...and it was ugly..

Which brings me to my last point. I personally didn't buy a TiBook only because it was the most powerful laptop on the market with the best OS ever created and overall perfect...I bought it because it was so damn sexy! Sure you can go buy a Dell and have a 3" piece of plastic sittin on your lap cutting off circulation to your legs because it's so heavy...if that's what you want to do, do it. But I want somethin that's powerful and sexy, and the PB series is just that. The design is unmatched, and to me that's worth an extra couple hundred bucks.

I can't afford to be upgrading PB's every one or two years...my next purchase this fall will need to last me quite some time, and if the G5 PB does happen to come out in january then oh well. If you wait for the newest technology to come out you'll never actually buy anything, you'll just sit around and complain because it's not out yet. Sheesh...

So say what you will about Apple droppin the ball, but I can't wait to get my new 15" PB (and likely my wife a 12" PB). It'll be great! Can't wait for that 128mb ATI card in a laptop! Amazing!

Oh, one more thing that's rather off topic...Some have said that there's no need for a G5 in a laptop right now...if you need that power get a desktop. Well, what do you think the 17" PB's are being marketed as? A desktop replacement!

:D

I share your thinking. I'm moving abroad soon and can't take all my gear - so will be forced to sell. I have a G4 1.33 PowerMac, which will be going for sale, I love this machine. It's F A S T.

The computer I will be keeping will be my over 3 years old Powerbook G4 500. It DOESN'T scream, but it's ok. I can't take anything larger than will fit in my luggage. :-(

So, I want to upgrade, but I don't want to get a new G4 Powerbook. Obviously I want the G5, HOWEVER, I won't buy a Rev1 of it, as I made that mistake with the PBG4 Rev1 - I sent it back twice, it doesn't feel sturdy, the screen flickers etc...

I'm actually thinking iBook for a years or so, just to lay out less cash, and recoup more later on eBay! Don't worry, just my 2p, I'm not about to start an iBook vs Powerbook thread, I can work that out for myself.

Good posts though people - this is one of the best threads I've read in a while around here.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
eSnow said:
Here comes the nuclear laptop...
No, absolutely freaking no way. The G4's are hot as they are, cramming two into a PowerBook is impossible. Have you seen the heat sinks in the last Dual G4 tower revision? You would not want to have a notebook 20cm thick now, would you?

The future is G5 (single).

I still think that Apple would have to come out with a Dual laptop if nothing else but for the "cool factor". It would certianly be a desktop replacement at that point. I would imagine that it would only be for the 17" Powerbook though.

vannote

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
NYC
Please

Brandon Sharitt said:
If IBM can get two PowerPC 970s in a blade server, why can't Apple get one in a laptop!

1. A BLADE SERVER REQUIRES A 'BLADE CENTER' TO OPERATE.
2. A BLADE CENTER HAS A HUGE POWER SUPPLY
3. A BLADE CENTER HAS HUGE FANS.
4. A BLADE CENTER HAS HUGE COOLING CAPABILITIES (SEE #3).
5. A BLADE CENTER HAS HUGE AREA, UNLIKE A POWERBOOK (SEE #4).

:)

Cheers

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
You rule

oingoboingo said:
OK, after the massive explosion in replies that happened in the PowerBook release annoucement thread, I think we should have some kind of condensed, FAQ-like digest which will only take a few minutes to read, but which will convey all of the necessary points…

Oingoboingo, that was a masterpiece, a true work of genius. I am not worthy to read it. Totally Brill Maate! :D :D

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Some points...

First off, I believe the Joswiak quote is a smokescreen. It is actually wrong, since it did not take 2 years to get the G4 into a Powrebook. He is buying time and trying to revitalize Powerbook sales (which have not been that great lately).

If he is really serious, he is admitting Apple is stuck in a quagmire again. The original Titanium was delayed from its original launch date by approx. 6 month - thanks to Moto. That is why it was released with a severely outdated RAGE gfx card featuring a whopping 8MB video RAM.
It seems that history is repeating itself. IBM is seemingly unable to deliver the 90nm G5 in volume and Apple is delaying product releases accordingly. The revised Moto chips came to their rescue, but apart from pin-compatible drop-in replacements, not much has changed which leads me to believe that a redesigned PB is waiting in the pipeline. Waiting for IBM.

Secondly, would people please stop patronizing me in which computer I need (or want)? I do Java development and thanks to its small caches, the G4 is very ill-equipped for it. That it runs on a crippled FSB is not helping either. Working for clients at different places, a G5 tower is simply not an option (at least as long as gigabit ethernet is running to my home), I simply can do my work on a notebook only. I caved in in Sept. and bought myself a 1.3 Ghz Centrino after doing some hands-on tests with the then-current Powerbooks and have not really regretted it (my first ever PC - after 12 Mac-only years). Yes, windows stinks, but what should I do? All the beauty of OS X helps only so much if the hardware is slow.

BTW. the current 7447A are not the last we will see from Moto. They just moved to a smaller process (130nm if I recall right) and will surely use this to further develop the G4-line. Apple _will_ use those chips at least in their iBooks if not Powerbooks.

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
fatbarstard said:
I don't care about getting flamed but I care about heat...

Look people... the G5 is a great chip and a real advance over what can be done with systems etc etc... but the thing is like a mini furnace!!! It pumps out heat like there is no tomorrow. Now those who are brave enough to run a PB G4 on their bare knees will appreaciate that any increase in heat has got to be a very bad thing.

I'll say it again. There will be no PB G5 until the heat issue is solved. End of story. Period. That's it. There is no more.

once Apple gets around this problem, and they will, then it will be all on for young and old... I've got a PB 17" on a three year lease with one year just about up so in two years I'll be ready. Apple would dearly love to have a PB G5 out and about soon but it also has to deal to the PM range first so that it can get traction on the desktop market - which isn't exactly going as well as it should be if Apple Q2 numbers are any indication.

A PB G5 with fully optimised 64bit software would be an amazing thing... but were just going to have to wait. G4 is a perfectly capabale workhorse for the next 12 months at least....

Exits stage left....
Bollocks to you fatbarstard (always wanted to say that). I think you maybe need to take the blinkers off. What heat issues in the G5, this has been discussed endlessly and the concensus has been that heat is not that big a deal in the 90nm chips. The heat issues are more likely to be associated with the supporting chipset.

And who is to say the heat issues haven't been solved, if you've got information to the contrary then please share. I just don't think you've really got a stake in this game, you're sitting pretty with your leased 17. Maybe you should leave the idle speculation to those of us who need a G5 PB this year.

mr_tap

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2004
CmdrLaForge said:
I really second that. Everything you said makes sense to me and I agree on it. I am in a similar situation. I currently use an iBook G3 900Mhz which works still perfect for me. I have no need for that much speed, but I have a need for a computer that lasts 5-7 years. I will not purchase old technology thats outdated soon after I bought it. That happened to me already with the G3. And of course I don't blame Apple for progress.

I am also patiently (sometimes not so patiently) waiting for the powerbook G5. I suspect that we will not have to wait until Jan 05 though - Digitimes is reporting that Compal (who makes the PB17) has won a contract to make 15.4" widescreen powerbooks for Apple shipping in the second half of this year (http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/06/13&pages=04&seq=17).

New case has got to mean new CPU :)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
mr_tap said:
I am also patiently (sometimes not so patiently) waiting for the powerbook G5. I suspect that we will not have to wait until Jan 05 though - Digitimes is reporting that Compal (who makes the PB17) has won a contract to make 15.4" widescreen powerbooks for Apple shipping in the second half of this year (http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/06/13&pages=04&seq=17).

WOW ! Thats interesting news !!! It says that they will ship it in the second half of this year !!! Paris expo is in september !!!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
mr_tap said:

Nice find.

"According to sources, Compal will start shipping 15.4-inch wide-screen PowerBooks for Apple in the second half of this year, with initial monthly shipments estimated at 30,000-40,000 units. Compal is currently producing 17-inch PowerBooks, while Quanta Computer and Asustek Computer are contract manufacturing the 15.2- and 12.1-inch models, respectively, sources said."

So if they are shipping in that quantity in second half of this year does that mean that we should see the G5 then given they wouldn't just sit on that much stuff. QED Paris for G5s????

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
chasingapple said:
WANT WANT WANT WANT, good lord to you hear yourselves? I admit I read these rantings cause they provide e with entertainment, but cmon, lol. You guys are bitching for the sake of Bitching! Had Apple released a 1.6ghz G5 you would claim they should have put a 1.8 or 2.0 in it. Or the Display would not be updated and you would bitch about that, or the damn Superdrive would not have been fast enough, blah blah blah.

If you really are that pissed either get over it or head back to the Windows world, Bill is waiting for you. OS X is so god damn efficient that even a 1Ghz G4 is blazing fast, wake up people.
Get off your high horse, we're not bitching, if you take a look at the subject line and ignore the normal line noise you'll see there's some serious speculation happening here with a little humour thrown in. Isn't that what it's all about? If you want to discuss OSX why don't you take yourself over to the panther forum. Unless of course you *are* the VP of hardware product marketing in which case you really need to stop relying on the OSX team to save your sorry ass.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Kelson said:
Also, the G4 is not going to be obsolete anytime soon. Apple will be supporting it for the next 3-5 yrs.

And this is exactly why I am waiting on a PB G5. I keep my machines longer than that - I just got rid of some quite old machines (5 old Macs to be exact including a 6100 and 7100 (yes they were old, but with Sonnet upgrades) and a blue and whie G3). If I am going to spend $4000 on a new PB, I don't want to buy something that Apple will stop supporting in 3 years or even 5 years.

It isn't about "dick size" as someone so classlessly put it. It is about protecting your investment in hardware. It is about having a machine which will be able to take the place of the desktop when needed.

There may be people who DON'T have a reason to buy it, but dismissing everyone just because YOU don't is disingenuous.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
aswitcher said:

You've been talking about switiching for months. Just do it already!

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Snowy_River said:
Very apparent? How so? Based on what? It's not a very hot chip. It may be a little hotter than the G4, but it's cooler than chips that are used in PC laptops. Yes, there are other issues, but they have less to do with the 970FX and more to do with other aspects of the system design. So, tell me again, how is the 970FX not able to fit in a portable environment?

Exactly. The bus is the major problem given the increased speed and hence increased heat generation.

Thank you for saying that. I was going to, but you beat me to it.

I read about the "Mhz myth" but the real myth is that the 970fx is "so much hotter" than the G4 running at equiv speeds. The only *facts* that anyone quotes with links show the G5 and G4 using roughly equiv power at equiv speeds. For all the people saying that it is a "heat pump" compared to the G4, please show us a link. There are plenty of links from IBM on here showing the opposite. The bus is another issue of course.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
mr_tap said:
Actually, I might not be as clever as I thought I was - I am now suspecting that it is an article from last year :(

Indeed it is. So what happen? Did they cancel or are they beavering away right now putting them in 15" G5s due out at WWDC!

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
TyleRomeo said:
4 words

Carbon Fiber G5 Powerbook

Tyler
bro that is an awesome idea. case bending, NO MORE! to bad carbon fiber in its raw form cost around $50 per square foot.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
oingoboingo said:
OK, after the massive explosion in replies that happened in the PowerBook release annoucement thread, I think we should have some kind of condensed, FAQ-like digest..........<snip>...........Does anyone else want to add anything else?

That was pretty funny. Heh, no need to read the entire thread now!

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
I have been editing a 1/2 hour documentary using FCP on my dual 2.0 G5. While scrubbing, the fans kick into high gear. I could not imagine a sound like that coming from a powerbook. I bought a 12" PB last fall, and I love it. I would rather Apple wait to get the G5 pb right than rush it out.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
A bit off topic
We've received more reports that Apple is expecting its employees to be on hand next week as well as extended hours... presumably in preparation for new product releases.
What's so special about the new Books that require Apple employees to work extended hours?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.