Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Good question. I am not sure if you can do store pickup on a pre-order. Hopefully others will have experience with that.

Oh I may have made a mistake then. I thought that was an option. You guys pre-order and get the phone delivered to your home? Is that what you speak of when pre-ordering?

Given my short window of stay in Canada what do you recommend if I would like to get the new iPhone before I leave on the 23rd?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AT&T is the scum of the Telecom world (along with Comcast), but they do have SOME LTE, but it seems as though you need to be able to throw a rock and hit the tower to get it. Their HSPA+ is an abomination they like to call 4G that no where else in the world does... :rolleyes:
Where I live (Va Beach/Norfolk), it's Verizon's towers that you need to hit with a rock to see if it's got LTE or not.

Verizon's been selling LTE here since last October.
AT&T has no LTE here -- just HSPA+.

Thing is, it seems like literally every AT&T tower here has HSPA+, whereas it seems like only a few Verizon towers have LTE.

What this means to me is that it's not uncommon to end up in an area where Verizon LTE has 1-2 bars of coverage, which equates to some really piss poor LTE speeds.

In this area, AT&T's HSPA+ network offers more consistently faster download speeds than Verizon's LTE does. :confused:

Don't get me wrong, though. If you're near a Verizon tower with LTE, nothing beats the experience. It's just that there's currently too few LTE towers to deliver the kind of experience here that I think most people expect from Verizon.

IMG_0089.png

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Oh I may have made a mistake then. I thought that was an option. You guys pre-order and get the phone delivered to your home? Is that what you speak of when pre-ordering?

Given my short window of stay in Canada what do you recommend if I would like to get the new iPhone before I leave on the 23rd?

Line up at an Apple store here in Canada. Your phone will be factory unlocked if you buy from an Apple store here.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Line up at an Apple store here in Canada. Your phone will be factory unlocked if you buy from an Apple store here.

Ok. Any particular store locations you recommend? I should be in Toronto, Ottawa or Waterloo. I have never lined up at the stores for a launch. Over the years I have seen pics of ridiculously long lines for iPhone launches. Do I have a reasonable chance of getting through by lining up on launch day?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Wonder how you order if your on Verizon? I'm eligible for a subsidized upgrade (with new contract). I assume you have to pre order on the Verizon website rather than apple.com?

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
What they call '4G' isn't really 4G. It's a misspelled 3G.

In fact, LTE was not intended to be 4G. ITU used to rule that only the speed of Gbps qualifies for 4G, which should have been LTE Advanced (3gpp Release 10).
But they now think 100Mbps is Ok, too, anyway. The carriers even step further to call HSPA+ 4G

brocks

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
What a bugger. I'm in Florida from 7th Sept to 18th Sept!

If pre orders do start on the 12th in the UK, will I be able to order one online while in the US with my iPad? i.e. It's not going to stop me is it because it thinks I'm based in the US due to my IP address while over there? :confused: I'd still like to pre order one on the 12th if possible. :apple:

nachotaco

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
I hope I can pre-order at Best Buy as I was able sign up for their $50 gift card deal a few months back for all four of my phones :D

I bet it will be the only place where you can buy the iPhone 5 for $50 less than retail!

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I'll be on holiday, but luckily the place im going has Wi-Fi, so that'll be something too look forward too after a long day out :)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
So does this mean that all the servers will crash after the media event which will start at 1pm est?

I hope that I will be able to get my order in :)

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I hope I can pre-order at Best Buy as I was able sign up for their $50 gift card deal a few months back for all four of my phones :D

I bet it will be the only place where you can buy the iPhone 5 for $50 less than retail!

I wouldn't pre order at best buy. They are so unorganized there with pre orders. Trust me when I say this. It wasn't just my local store, there was a lot of forums with the same experience from all over US. I was the first person in line for my iPhone 4s. Got it like a week later . Which wasn't too bad, but the whole point of pre ordering is to get your hands on the device the first day of launch right? Best buy is full of s***:p

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
Pre-Order Pro Tip: Sometimes the mobile Apple Store App has been able to bypass the slowness of the Apple.com site on pre-order day. Give it a try - you might get through much faster.

That's exactly why my "the new iPad" was on my front porch on launch day. Mobile App went through on 2nd try ;):apple:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
How would this work if I have an upgrade due from VZ? This is the first time I've considered buying on opening day. Will I be able to pre-order through VZ?

just order through apple site. They will be able to see if you are eligible for the upgrade with verizon and apple the discount pricing.

----------

That's exactly why my "the new iPad" was on my front porch on launch day. Mobile App went through on 2nd try ;):apple:

hey.....easy with giving away the pre-order secrets until after I placed my order ;)

Jungo

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
not feeling the love

for the first time ever, I just NOT excited about the next iphone based on the rumours - the 4s upgrade from the 4 WAS/IS worth it. - LOTS of features.

They need to get me excited.

nachotaco

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
I wouldn't pre order at best buy. They are so unorganized there with pre orders. Trust me when I say this. It wasn't just my local store, there was a lot of forums with the same experience from all over US. I was the first person in line for my iPhone 4s. Got it like a week later . Which wasn't too bad, but the whole point of pre ordering is to get your hands on the device the first day of launch right? Best buy is full of s***:p

My last two iPhones have been a breeze to pre-order through best buy. I was able to get both on their respective launch days. Even if I have to wait a week to get my iPhone its worth the $50 bucks I save.

jp2123

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Fingers crossed, been a while since I bought my 3g (no s!) and to say its on its last legs is an understatement!

jaja I'm in the same position. Screen is broken, it's extremelly slow, overheats, and the home button doesn't work since 2 days ago. I can't wait to finally upgrade.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Here's a question. I currently have a 4 on AT&T and am eligible for an upgrade.

I'd like to switch to verizon and transfer my number? Has anyone had any experience doing something akin to this as part of the pre-order process in the past?

phillypharm

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
pre-order full retail price

Hey all, I will be transitioning to iphone after years of android use. I will be buying full price to 1) save my unlimited data plan and 2)b/c switching to shared data plans will cost me $30/mo more so it's cheaper. Is it easy to pre-order at full price or do you find that carriers restrict it to people signing contracts?

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm guessing later today or tomorrow the headline will be...

Next-Generation iPhone begins to ship September 12?

According to sources close to iknowitallaboutthenextiphone.com, the next generation of the iPhone will start shipping September 12th. Even possibly arriving before that date. :D

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Here's a question. I currently have a 4 on AT&T and am eligible for an upgrade.

I'd like to switch to verizon and transfer my number? Has anyone had any experience doing something akin to this as part of the pre-order process in the past?

When iPhone 4 came out, I preordered through Apple. There was no problem porting my old TMobile number over to AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.