Previously Purchased Items Not Available Due to Billing Issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AppleFamily, May 13, 2013.

1. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Hi DarkSorrow82 - that's incredible and super cool to know! Damn, those files are huge :)

2. Rigby macrumors 601

They were not removed from people's libraries. I have a digital copy of Iron Man 2 and it is still in my library to this day (and even was upgraded to HD when DMA launched).

3. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Paramount MCU movies were removed for a few weeks then added back after contracts, negotiations, and distributing rights were finalized from all those services I mentioned. All of those services have done this time, and time again with different movies. Heck when studios have released a bad "digital copy" for whatever reason they have removed movies then put them back on those services when they submitted a correct, and working version.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

They were temporarily removed from the store, not from the libraries of existing owners. They were also removed from UV (because Disney doesn't support UV), but were still in the users' libraries at iTunes, Vudu, or wherever they had originally redeemed or purchased the movies.
    And that is a problem how?

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I remember going to Blockbuster and all their copies of the movie I wanted to see were out; happened pretty often. Sometimes you just can't watch the movie you want. The medium changed, but this is still a truism.

6. Dobbs2, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017

Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Actually they were removed from libraries temporarily if they were not backed up locally at the time because it happened to me, and I sent emails to apple support when it happened. I sat down to watch Captain America, and I could not download it, or stream it. It was the only Marvel Movie at the time I didn't have downloaded (I had bought it the week before started the download and paused it). Apple Support explained to me why it was removed because of legality issues. Apple had put it in the "Hidden Movies" and it was locked in there till Disney approved for it to come back out a few weeks/months later.

Streaming from the cloud wasn't an option for purchased movies in 2011-2012. It was only for rented movies at that time. You could only stream from local iTunes at that time. So yes it was removed from my library.

Here's a bookmark from that time.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15427342#15427342

7. herodirector macrumors newbie

herodirector

I get my credit card blocked temporarly, have a new computer, I can't install anything anymore from Apple store,
    free programs, tons of purchase I did in the past, and I see I can't even synch my music anymore, all the albums I bought...

I bought and own all of those, I should have access to them anytime, basically Apple keep doing bad product and now even bad softwares (itunes) they just don't give a f+++ anymore about their customers.

I should have access to my content I previously paid, it just commun sense, but obviously this kind of thinking already been gone at apple since very very long time.

APPLE SUCKS.

8. Theresa123 macrumors newbie

Theresa123

I’m a little confused. If our card is declined you are allowed to take back what we have already purchased? I’m sorry no I paid for that app I own it. It is mine. You taking it back is stealing from me.

9. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

1. It's not an app, it's a movie.
    2. You don't 'own' apps, you own a license to use the app pursuant to the vendors and Apples EULA.
    3. ALL users who've purchased a license (be it App, music, books or movies) from Apple have agreed to these terms and conditions.
    4. Apple further state that it's the users responsibility to keep downloads as Apple are not legally required to offer it as a download again, especially if their rights to host it are removed.

10. Tech198 macrumors G5

easier said than done with Apple... its not permanent storage that u keep forever.

Try downloading the movie to Mac with iTunes then playing offline. That should work at least, and if it does you can Airplay it.

Probably the only option, apart from just sorting out whatever went wrong with Apple

11. seanrt macrumors member

seanrt

Weird issue tonight, my past purchases (no longer for sale for a few years) are giving an unblemished to load error with dismiss button) they played yesterday and earlier I could still get into the episode list. The titles are from various Studios.

12. brooksyb macrumors newbie

brooksyb

Created an account just to reply in this thread. I have fought apple tooth and nail on this thing. This is flat out robbery and has to be illegal to some extent. But lets take this a step further.

Apple will not allow updates to my already purchased paid for in full applications right? What if one of these updates is a critical?! Apple is not allowing this critical update for an app I have already paid in full for - and because I did not get the critical update my GPU was fried or a backdoor was left open and my identity was stolen or a number of other things that I would consider to be of liability to Apple at this point. This is ******** on apple. Like I told the last service rep: "Yes ma'am..... I understand. Now do you understand that I'm going to go torrent every piece of apple software I can find? I am going to steal all kinds of **** from y'all"

13. JoePutman4 macrumors newbie

JoePutman4

.... I'd say that logic would be about the same as repossessing someone's car the day after they miss a payment. Extreme? Yes. But a fair analogy...

I would say a better analogy is the bank repossessed seen three cars that you paid off because you’re a day behind on the payment on a brand new car.

This just happened to me over a three dollar bill which would be easy enough to solve to get access to my nearly 300 paid movies and 500 paid albums.

I went to post this because of the people that undoubtedly are out there who may find themselves on day unable to pay $20 and forever lose access to the several hundred dollars worth of movies that they may have purchased over the last number of years. This is indeed a wrong-headed rule of Apple’s.

Furthermore, their contracts with the rights holders should allow for any purchases to be downloaded or strained forever, not just during a period in which they have the right to sell the movie.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2018 ---
    If you had read the posts, people are complaining about this because they have AppleTV which has no way to download them permanently store the movies. While most people who have an Apple TV may own a computer, Apple has an ethical responsibility to make these movies available after they are paid to those who own an Apple TV.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2018 ---
    This is 2018 and the policy is still intact today. Undoubtedly it was in tact in 2017 when you posted this. It is bad policy and I am quite sure that Apple could successfully be sued for billions of dollars in a class action over it. It doesn’t matter what the terms and conditions say if it is unclear to the consumers when they make the purchase. That’s a matter of US consumer law.

14. BODYBUILDERPAUL, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018

BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

15. cjcampbell macrumors newbie

cjcampbell

Apple is still doing this scam. This is a violation of interstate commerce laws and federal consumer laws. Using the same logic, I could go and confiscate Tim Cook’s house because they have denied me access to content that I have already paid for.

Apple is not afraid of being sued. It is time to press criminal charges. Having Mr. Cook perp-walked on national TV for conspiracy to commit fraud just might bring about a few changes in policy there.

16. BODYBUILDERPAUL, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Speaking from experience, I don't think that Apple are bothered. Their main aim is selling and money.

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It is not a scam and it most certainly does not violate any federal or state law. Want to know why? Because you agreed to their Terms and Conditions. Its actually stated in the terms and conditions that they reserve the right to suspend your account/purchases in the event of a billing error. Once you correct the error, they will release your purchases.

Nothing here violates any law. Not contract law, not constitutional law and certainly not criminal law. I would advise you of taking a few law classes before throwing out statements like this.

Additionally, your parallel argument makes absolutely zero sense.

18. Shegacha macrumors newbie

Shegacha

--- Post Merged, Aug 28, 2018 ---
    I have the same problem and agree completely!
    I feel like it is so wrong not to be able to watch movies that we bought and not cheaply and should belong to us to watch. No matter about a billing problem that has nothing to do with the purchased movie!

19. UNDERD0G macrumors newbie

UNDERD0G

I can see both sides of this however, I do believe this is Apple‘s way of strong arming people into making payments they’re responsible for. The Apple iTunes system definitely needs modifications to make these movie purchases more consumer friendly.
    The problem is there are too many digital licensing issues surrounding content and makes for a very complicated way of “owning” movies, music, apps etc.

20. Ledqueen12live.com macrumors newbie

I agree completely and yet it’s 2018 and nothing has changed:(
    It’s comparable to purchasing a hard case DVD in a store with a credit card, going home and 2 weeks later deciding to view that DVD but the original card you used to purchase it is either,maxed out or declined and somehow that DVD just won’t seem to play.
    Now that’s fraud because the 1st initial business exchange was already completed with receipt in hand.
    Then again the devil is in the details and if iTunes presents full disclosure,
    then in fact we are agreeing to their bogus terms:(
    Cheers!

21. UNDERD0G macrumors newbie

UNDERD0G

--- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2018 ---
    That’s exactly accurate however, as you said in the intrest of full disclosure Apple has covered themselves in the “contract” your agreed to upon using said iTunes service. On another note there’s still the law of the land in which us pee-on’s occasionally get an upper hand at. So, unless someone high up in power changes this,or enough people complaining then it’s Undoubtedly going to continue this way because too much of it is subjective .

22. seanrt macrumors member

seanrt

Every iTunes purchase I’ve made dating back many years is still available to me. Even titles no longer in the store for sale. That includes over 80 Tv series and close to 200 movies. A good example is Halloween 4. There is a current version with different artwork and license now for sale, but my prior copy that I got with original artwork and different license holder is still in my library to stream or download.
    I do find it necessary to occasionally redownload episodes and movies as iTunes will make an update to the file. I have a lot of Hanna-Barbera titles purchased between 2010 and 2015, that will show an encode date of say 2017 with better compression, image and sound. I wish iTunes would alert you when there is an update to the file you currently have downloaded.

23. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

That's really great to know buddy. The only things that i've lost are: 1 movie from an independent company (even though it's still for sale in iTunes) and 2 music videos purchased from iTunes.

24. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Weiser878

I ran into this with almost $400 worth of music purchased from
    iTunes in 2014 and 15. The albums and collections were removed from the store by the original artists, and I no longer have access to them.

With these and movies the problem is I don’t have a computer on which to download them. I have an iPhone, I have an iPad and I have an Apple TV. Even though I had them downloaded to my old iPhone, when I got a new iPhone it was only able to re-download music that was still hosted in the iTunes Store. That’s how I lost all those albums.

I cannot download them to keep, and I can’t download movies to my Apple TV
    Without the ability to download to the device, and without the ability to transfer those downloads through my own iCloud subscription it’s a very flawed system indeed.

25. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

It is flawed and it's dishonest. To me, it's theft. No wonder people illegally stream or download film or music - it's absolutely no different except big companies have dirty lawyers to lie for them.

VERY UNUSUAL to have lost so many albums. Something nor right there and maybe a call to Apple will fix this. One or two yes but not 400dollars worth.

The chances are Apple don't care about this matter due to the fact that they have Apple Music and probably a film streaming service soon. It's rare for films to disappear from the cloud but it does happen and here in the UK, many titles get removed from the iTunes store to purchase and some never return - The Rebound film got removed in 2014 and has never returned, Visual Acoustics got removed last week even though Google & Amazon still sell it.

Sometimes music gets removed when it changes label. In the UK, the ENTIRE S.O.S. Band catalogue has been removed 10-15 albums although it's still available in the US.

My advice, if you buy music from iTunes, make sure that you download it. It's rare for tracks to be removed from the Cloud but it does happen - it happened to my 'deluxe' edition of Jackson Waters and sadly, it's no longer in the Apple Cloud and George Michael's deluxe edition of Faith which included music videos got removed.

My advice - if you love it - Download it!