Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Unimpressed by gradients actually going the same direction? Or colors that don't vibrate off the screen? These are the tweaks that should be made to bring the professionalism level up a few notches.
I'm unimpressed by a barely different mockup. Made logos smaller, toned down colors and done. I like the actual product better.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
It's disheartening to see people just dismiss all of the issues with the IOS7 design.

It would be more useful to be constructive - point out specific examples of where the new design isn't working, suggest improvements, etc.

It is not constructive or mature to call everybody with a criticism a "troll".

It is also not helpful to sit back and say "oh, this will all be fixed by GM"; if you don't want to engage in the discussion, that's fine - you don't have to. From my experience with iOS betas (basically all of them), there are lots and lots of serious UI bugs that don't get fixed for ages even after GM - the repeat/shuffle icons are a good example. Sometimes people like to vent about niggly little things that annoy them (I know I certainly do!)

Discussion is good and healthy; nobody but the site's owners have the right to preclude discussion on this board. So please do not dismiss those with points to make.

sure, discussion is good and healthy, but the seriousness with which you can take someone's criticism stems from how constructive their POV is.

this is a beta software, designed by well renowned designers.

in the OP's case, something turned out to be too transparent--an issue that's been readily adjusted since B1 was released. if there was a more broad stroked opinion he had about the design, that was founded on constructive criticism, he wouldn't be called a troll. but belittling designers, resorting to name calling, and pointing out a very tiny design element and making it out to be utterly blasphemous is the type of attitude that attracts scoffs and troll-calling.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
People were saying the same about Apple Maps this time last year: "It's a beta", "Everything will be fixed by October" "You know what a beta is?" - Now, just look at the pathetic app they shoveled on us in October, nothing was fixed, searches were useless, the interface compared to that of Google's was a disaster... Even Tim Cook had to write a letter saying sorry to all of Apple's customers.

I feel the same thing will happen with iOS7.

PS - Don't be such a little I know-everything-***** by saying "close thread." Be a little nicer.
How is saying to close a thread (with a please) equate to an a hole? It's a meaningless thread really. Your using a beta. Beta's change. And your gripe is about a button color. That is so easy to fix. Maps (for me) was great and better than Google Maps. Yes gMaps isn't perfect, go figure. Now your comparing a new crack at mapping the whole planet to a UI button... >_>

----------

sure, discussion is good and healthy, but the seriousness with which you can take someone's criticism stems from how constructive their POV is.

this is a beta software, designed by well renowned designers.

in the OP's case, something turned out to be too transparent--an issue that's been readily adjusted since B1 was released. if there was a more broad stroked opinion he had about the design, that was founded on constructive criticism, he wouldn't be called a troll. but belittling designers, resorting to name calling, and pointing out a very tiny design element and making it out to be utterly blasphemous is the type of attitude that attracts scoffs and troll-calling.

True.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
How is saying to close a thread (with a please) equate to an a hole? It's a meaningless thread really. Your using a beta. Beta's change. And your gripe is about a button color. That is so easy to fix. Maps (for me) was great and better than Google Maps. Yes gMaps isn't perfect, go figure. Now your comparing a new crack at mapping the whole planet to a UI button... >_>

The fact that you want to shut-down someones opinion about the UI with a close the thread request means you are acting like an *****. That's all.

Also, I'm referring to the whole UI in general, no just a button.

Finally, maybe you haven't experienced things such as Apple Maps not showing the correct location, or not clearly labeling paths / streets. I had a million problems with Apple Maps in NYC that I never experienced using Google's.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Not to insult you or anything, but you are kind of naive thinking the OS will change that much until release.

Reminders changed. New bits of UI in messages too. Music had some discoverability buttons and some UI changes to the iPad app. What he talking about is a simple button... So yes things change and yes the button will be fixed.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Just take a look at the simple keyboard entry UI design. It's beyond pathetic. There is a thin blue outline over the next/previous field buttons and that's how they solve the "layered" transparency design problems...
09kp.jpg

7nc5.jpg

Your examples here are not really accurate and indicative of the design. The reason the next/previous field buttons look the way they do (disabled) is because they are! I visited the site in your screenshots. There isn't another field to jump to so it makes sense they are disabled.

Visit a site with two input fields... like the one you are on. It looks and functions just fine IMO. Now I think the controls can just be hidden instead of disabled, but that wasn't the argument.
IMG_0597.PNG

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Another prime example of junk

Then do not use it? Simple. Problem solved. Move on and go buy an Android or keep using iOS6. Much less stress than not understanding what a beta is and these MINOR and EASILY FIXED problems will get ironed out...

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
The fact that you want to shut-down someones opinion about the UI with a close the thread request means you are acting like an *****. That's all.

Also, I'm referring to the whole UI in general, no just a button.

Finally, maybe you haven't experienced things such as Apple Maps not showing the correct location, or not clearly labeling paths / streets. I had a million problems with Apple Maps in NYC that I never experienced using Google's.

An opinion..calling something junk... Instead of reporting a bug to Apple..

Also how are YOU referring to the whole UI since YOU'RE not the OP? YOU haven't said anything to me about the UI actually. Your just calling me am a hole and blaming Maps and stuff...

Last edited:

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
The groupthink on this board is scary. Anyone who doesn't like iOS 7 is an evil troll. That iOS 7 must be beautiful because it was designed by Jony Ive is a religious belief to many of you. When happens if this thing gets released and most people hate it and Apple's stock tanks (even more)?

Do you guys really think iOS 7 represents a UI improvement over iOS 6? If so, why were you even using iOS 6 anyway? Android and WP8 are much more in tune with your aesthetics.

Seriously, I thought people bought iOS devices because of its superior UI. Guess there is some other reason.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
The groupthink on this board is scary. Anyone who doesn't like iOS 7 is an evil troll. That iOS 7 must be beautiful because it was designed by Jony Ive is a religious belief to many of you. When happens if this thing gets released and most people hate it and Apple's stock tanks (even more)?

Do you guys really think iOS 7 represents a UI improvement over iOS 6? If so, why were you even using iOS 6 anyway? Android and WP8 are much more in tune with your aesthetics.

Seriously, I thought people bought iOS devices because of its superior UI. Guess there is some other reason.

You left out how some that dislike the design seem to belive that anyone who likes it is a blind idiot. Both sides need to cut out the over the top rhetoric. Personally, I'm sort of somewhere in the middle.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

As if there isn't the same group think amongst those who hate iOS 7?!?

How do you define "superior UI"? Faux leather and green felt? Excessive chrome?

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

In certain areas i do think it's a nice update, i'm not very fond of some of the gaudy colour choices though, maybe they chose those colours because they will be the colours of some of the cheaper iPhones coming out though.

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010

No, the hate is different I think. I installed the beta onto my iPhone. I tried to convince myself that I liked it. I noticed I starting using my iPad with iOS 6 more and more. I decided to put iOS 6 back on, and only then did I realize just how awful iOS 7 was. In all honesty, I think a lot of people defending 7 think it has to be good because it was designed by Ive.

Who gives a crap about faux leather and green felt. They're apps, not the entirety of the UI. I'll tell you what though -- I much prefer the skeu version of notes to the awful version in iOS 7.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
No, the hate is different I think. I installed the beta onto my iPhone. I tried to convince myself that I liked it. I noticed I starting using my iPad with iOS 6 more and more. I decided to put iOS 6 back on, and only then did I realize just how awful iOS 7 was. In all honesty, I think a lot of people defending 7 think it has to be good because it was designed by Ive.

Who gives a crap about faux leather and green felt. They're apps, not the entirety of the UI. I'll tell you what though -- I much prefer the skeu version of notes to the awful version in iOS 7.

See, I went the opposite way. I had a lockup bug in 7b2 that had me go back to iOS6 (fortunately that bug seems to have been fixed in 7b3, the nerd in me hopes that it was my bug report that got it noticed). I just don't like iOS6 in comparison to 7, there's a certain bit of elegance to it that I truly love.

But, with that said, to each their own.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Apple is a bit higher than design 101

Sorry falcon for faulting Apple. I forgot they can do no wrong. :rolleyes:

----------

Apple ditched "excessive chrome" for excessive animations. Sure it's fun and looks nice but it really gets in the way when trying to do something quickly and does absolutely nothing for actual usage. It's pure eye candy......just like green felt.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I see you know what developer and operating system is, but do you know what beta means?
It will get worked out by the time the public get a it.
Close the thread please.

Just because it's beta doesn't mean it will magically get better by release.

Take maps, for example. ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Well that's your personal preference. Some people like iOS 7 others don't. Doesn't make one preference right and the other wrong. There's a lot in iOS 6 that I don't like and I'm glad Apple is changing the UI. But I understand that some people won't like it. Just like some people didn't like Aqua years ago and don't like Windows 8 now.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Sounds like the OP is ready for a change, since he doesn't understand what a beta is and just how far away it is from being a refined GM. I hear the Nokia 1020 is a good phone, maybe he should look there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.