iPad Proof the 3rd Gen iPad is Apple's redheaded stepchild

Discussion in 'iPad' started by walie, Jun 10, 2013.

1. walie, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013

walie macrumors 6502a

iPad 4th gen released LESS THAN A YEAR after the 3rd gen and now this:

[​IMG]

Airdrop is going to be awesome!! :rolleyes:

**** you Apple.

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

That's the devices that support airdrop, not those which support iOS 7.

Try again.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

3rd Gen iPad doesn't have that Broadcom chip that does peer-to-peer wifi.

4. Outrigger, Jun 10, 2013

Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I don't see my first gen iPad on the list as well, so **** you too Apple! :rolleyes:

5. JoEw, Jun 10, 2013

JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

People of your nature deserve an android experience.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

By your logic, every iPad besides the 4th was their red headed stepchild.

7. dpfenninger macrumors regular

Really? I thought the only difference between iPad 3 and 4 were faster processor, FaceTime HD camera, and Lightning connector.

As a 3rd-generation iPad owner, I too felt a bit peeved at the lack of AirDrop support for a device that's only a little over a year old. But I'm not going to whine too much about it (at least not out loud)...all the other features and refinements of iOS 7 look amazing, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. :)

8. walie thread starter macrumors 6502a

incorrect, this is my logic:

"iPad 4th gen released LESS THAN A YEAR after the 3rd gen..."

+

NO AIRDROP SUPPORT FOR THE 3RD GEN iPAD

Perhaps your eyes are still messed up from seeing iOS7's bedazzling "theme" to read properly

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

And the iPad 2 is still being sold, and its not supported. Neither of those have the proper wifi chip.

You get the rest of iOS7.

10. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

The iPad 2 doesn't support Siri, but the iPad mini does (same processor and memory). That would be a much stronger reason to question Apple's practice in what functionality that decide to leave out from which devices.

11. RevTEG macrumors 6502

RevTEG

iPad mini = iPad 2..

Yet the mini gets more features than the iPad 3 with iOS 7.

iPad 3 wasn't even out... what??? 6 months before the 4??

I've owned all the iPads including the min and I agree completely with the OP's post.

At least iPad 1-2 owners can say their iPads are actually "old".

12. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Proof the 3rd Gen iPad is Apple's redheaded stepchild

It's all about the hardware, y'all. Plain and simple, the Broadcom chip wasn't available in quantities necessary for Apple's products when the 4S and 3rd-gen iPad dropped. This is, albeit a small one, part of the reason why the 4th-gen iPad came about - update the processor, connector, front cam, and internal chipsets. Mini gets it because the chipsets were ready. It's just the way it is, y'all. What sucks is these things aren't user-workable, a la a PC being upgradable when a new component or peripheral drops on the market.

13. RevTEG macrumors 6502

RevTEG

Thanks for explaining that. It does make sense. I know they can't but I think people would feel better about not getting a feature if Apple would just simply explain it the way you did.

Not have the correct chip for Airdrop is way better than just feeling like Apple holds back on newer products just to push new sales.

14. tmanto02, Jun 11, 2013

tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing that it was due to the quality of the microphone in the ipad 2.

15. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

You may very well be right about this being the reason provided by Apple. But I'm not buying that reason from Apple.

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

That is because the iPad mini != iPad 2. It has a smaller CPU die and an updated wireless chipset.

17. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

The ipad 2 also uses the same smaller chip. the iPad 2 actually used the smaller chip before the mini, as it started to be used in it directly after the iPad 3 launch.

I agree with OP. My barely a year iPad should not be losing out on ANY features. They were perfectly fine holding off the iPhone launch with the 4S, but with the iPad it appears they got cold feet and rushed to shove out a product :rolleyes:

18. master-ceo, Jun 11, 2013

master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

lol. Glad I sold my pink screen iPad 3 back in feb. That sucka had image retention too. I'm much Happier with the 128gb 4th gen but do like the 30pin connector over lightning.

19. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Proof the 3rd Gen iPad is Apple's redheaded stepchild

I most definitely agree. Apple continues to pin us as uninterested in that stuff. That's right. Just say "AirDrop utilizes the Wifi Direct technology only available on the iPhone 5, iPad mini, the new iPad, and the 5th-generation iPod Touch." Seriously...we will get it. Many won't like it, but we will get it.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The funny part is, OP completely ignored the explanation.

21. Carnegie macrumors 6502

That's pretty much what they did say. As the slide pictured in the OP was being shown, Craig Federighi said: "Because it uses the latest WiFi hardware, it's supported on the iPhone 5, the 4th generation iPad, iPad Mini, and the 5th generation iPod Touch.".

22. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Very true. He could've gone another step and stated what that "latest wifi hardware" was, though. Just a simple name-drop of what's in that wifi hardware so peopled realize their device doesn't have it.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That information is fine for the Apple faithful, but what about all of those people who bought an iPad 3 simply because it was the iPad that was available at the time?

iPad 3 release date: March 16, 2012
    iPad 4 release date: October 23, 2012

That's only 7 months apart. When the iPad 4 was released, Apple apologists told iPad 3 owners to "chill out, it is only a minor update primarily for the lightning connector".

8 months later we learn that there is a far greater difference between the 3 and 4. Now Apple apologists are now telling iPad 3 owners, "chill out that's just the way it is."

As much as I refuse to believe it, there is indeed a blind allegiance to Apple. An allegiance that denies that Apple does on occasion shaft customers.

I didn't buy an iPad 3. I held out because of the manufacturing issues and only purchased an iPad 4 2 months ago. So I don't have a dog in this fight.

The fact is, Apple engaged in a delayed hosing of iPad 3 customers.

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If the iPad 4 hadn't been released, or had been released later, no iPads or fewer iPads would be capable of supporting Airdrop. So what's your point?

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Why are you resorting to a hypothetical? Can't you deal with the reality of the situation? iPad 3 buyers got shafted... the full extent of the shafting was just recently revealed. What is so difficult to understand?