Prototype 3rd Gen iPod Touches with Camera Appear on eBay

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two prototype iPod Touches were listed on eBay for a short time this morning before they were removed. The listing was first noted on our forums with photos posted by 9to5Mac before the listing was removed. According to a YouTube video by Bilsta57, the original eBay description was the following:
    Blista57 also reports that when questioned about their origins, the auction seller wrote "Sorry... Have no idea... I bought them from a guy at a flea market and he bought them from a live auction here in the Bay Area."

iPod Touches with a back-facing camera had been extensively rumored last fall. Photos and 3rd party case designs of the devices both suggested the existence of the units. Ultimately, however, it is believed that the feature was removed at the last minute, and tear downs of the final shipping units revealed an empty space where a camera might reside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assuming they are real, these images seem to represent last year's prototype models of the currently shipping iPod touch, and not any future model.

Article Link: Prototype iPod Touches with Camera Appear on eBay

2. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

Wow. Would not have called this.
    Apple needs to tighten up... :D

3. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

4. katakis1 macrumors newbie

5. NextTuesday macrumors member

Does that iPod have an app that says "SkankPhone"!?

6. iGuy38 macrumors member

God I hope that isn't real. The design is still the same and I'm tired of the metal back! I want an ALUMINUM back!

7. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

why put a camera in what is clearly a "gaming" device? :rolleyes:

8. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

augmented reality games.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wonder if Jobs was pissed when these got lost too.

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

these appeared last year i remember but theres are last years prototypes for the 3gen ipod but they took the camera out the last minute but since there last years i don't care, and they weren't lost they probably didn't need them and were going to be destroyed and someone took it instead.and apples reson for not putting in the camera because they felt that it was a gaming devise and felt it wasn't needed.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

These prototypes are the prototypes to the current iPod Touches. This isn't a future product.

12. AriX macrumors 6502

AriX

Definitely real. I have personally used some of this prototype software before (except much older- it was pre-1.0 OS) including BurnIn, Operator, and SkankPhone.

Operator is a test suite that automatically tests several of the internal components of the device (seen here, mislabeled as BurnIn: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:1.jpg)

BurnIn is a much more comprehensive testing suite that is fully automatic. It tests components like NAND, RAM, and various system functions like reboots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpTROJ48aQ
    It then dumps you into Operator on completion.

SkankPhone is a program with integrated mini-apps that show basic components of the phone. There is a phone component for making phone calls, a test thing for the camera, a HORRIBLE web browser, a media player that doesn't seem to work (probably because I didn't install the prototype OS correctly), a few simple games/tests, and a bunch more.

Unfortunately the prototype iPhone software I used to have running on my iPhone 1G has become corrupt somehow; eventually I'll reinstall it and make a YouTube video showing off SkankPhone and the pre-1.0 OS.

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

14. paulyras macrumors 6502

That would be awesome. I'd love to see the development software. Very cool.

15. Macmaniac411 macrumors member

NintendoDSi/3DS Sony also has a camera add-on for the PSP. Also Sony has the iToy, and Microsoft is using cameras for project natel. Cameras are making their way into game machines.

16. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Why not? Makes sense to me. Even though I'd personally always have an iPhone... but for those that have an iTouch... I think it makes PERFECT sense.

17. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

18. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

it would kill both the nano and iphone. plus why do we need so many cameras?

19. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

So why were they removed? Between the the 4G, phystar, and other recent news apple is starting to sound like a crying school girl.

20. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

No.

Nano is a FRACTION of the size and used pretty much ONLY for music.

An iPhone, in case you don't know.. is used to mostly CALL people. There's no service charge for an iTouch... it just uses WiFi.

A camera makes perfect sense on an iTouch for people using apps such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. And also just for normal pics. I think in this day and age, any small device that has WiFi and more, should also have a camera.

I know most of what I'm saying is obvious and you probably know it.. I'm just stating the reasons why.

21. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Either my sarcasmometer is broken, or you have knowledge of some secret sort of non-metallic aluminum.

22. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I don't understand how these devices get past apple security...:confused:

23. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Give it back too.

Steve

Sent from my 3rd Generation iPod Touch that has a camera and some freaky OS and it won't even power on.

24. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Yes, only a iPod Nano should!