Quadro 4000 with MacOS Mojave

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TechInit, Feb 16, 2019.

1. TechInit macrumors newbie

TechInit

Hey,

So, I've been doing research, and found a out that the best value for money Graphics Card is the Nvidia Quadro 4000. I'm not sure wether to bite the bullet and buy it, or wait until later to buy an RX 560. The Mac Pro is the 3, 1, which can get Mojave when using Dosdude1's Patcher. Looking online, the Quadro 4000 Says in System Report:

Metal: Supported

This is an old Fermi Card, so there is that. I know it should work in High Sierra, but Mojave requires a Metal Supported GPU. I've found that people have gotten the card to work, but with some tearing, and I've also found people have managed to get the GTX 580 to work, which is also a Fermi Card, but its technically different as it's based of the GF110, as apposed to the GF100 Chip. Should I get the 580, the Quadro 4000, or the RX 560? The 560 is probably the better option, as it's way newer than both of those cards, but the Quadro 4000 is a Quadro, and they're useful for stuff like videowork and CAD. Not sure if the 4000 even IS a metal supported GPU, as I've found threads saying they're not. What should I do?

Thanks!

2. tsialex, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019

tsialex macrumors 68040

tsialex

Fermi GPUs are not supported with Mojave, only Kepler. No AMD GCN GPU (HD7xxx on wards) works with High Sierra or Mojave and MP3,1, drivers need SSE4.2. High Sierra can be hacked with Sierra drivers, but not Mojave.

MP3,1 are restricted to NVIDIA Kepler GPUs and Mojave.

3. TechInit thread starter macrumors newbie

TechInit

Okay, thanks! Probably going to get the GTX 670, as they're somewhat cheap, and do work on Mojave. They also peform fairly well in 2019!

4. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502a

AlexMaximus

Chances are high in your favour to have a good result with 670.
    I used to have a 680 that was the best non-mutant card ever. If you would have a slightly larger budget, a classified 680 with 4GB or even a Quadro K5000 might work as well. There are sometimes cheap cards available from old workstations that can be flashed to apple efi specs. It works for sure on the 5.1, the question remains does it work on the older 3,1. Maybe Alex knows an can confirm this theoretical mir expensive Mojave option.

5. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

4000 works in Mojave but with only 2GB it's really a nogo! 4000.png

6. tsialex macrumors 68040

tsialex

Works ≠ supported. It's a hacked install.

If you change MP3,1 AirPort Extreme and GPU to supported ones, you can have 99% standard install, no hack besides -no_compat_check.

7. chrfr macrumors 604

I've installed Mojave in a 2012 Mac Pro without having to do anything with the drivers or anything else. The Mojave installer properly recognizes it, but I did see some artifacts when moving windows around. I did not do extensive testing as I just needed to be able to get Mojave installed and running on a Mac Pro for specific testing that did not rely on graphics performance.