Question about iOS and using public WiFi

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by noanker, Jun 28, 2016.

1. noanker macrumors member

noanker

Quick question regarding using public WiFi with iOS. The grocery store where I shop is an older construction and as such has awful cellphone reception inside. I just found out they have free WiFi in the store and typically would only access iMessage and perhaps Notes and Reminders whilst in-store should I decide to connect to their WiFi.

I know better than to access any sort of online banking or anything else that could compromise me financially. I am fairly certain that iMessage is encrypted end-to-end and was wondering if the same was true for Notes and Reminders?

I realize that using a VPN would be the preferred way to go, but since this is the only location I would use a public WiFi connection in, the cost of a VPN subscription seems a bit much for this one activity.

I am hoping perhaps someone can post a link to a site where there may be a list and or mention of iOS functions that are encrypted end-to-end. Regarding Mail, I am sure it would depend on which service you use. I have Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and AOL email accounts (yeah, don't laugh..AOL is a legacy account) and was wondering if they sync over the public WiFi if anything is potentially compromised.

2. noanker thread starter macrumors member

noanker

3. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

FYI....I use torguard.net VPN services and pay $20 for 3 months. Pretty cheap if you decided to use a VPN service.

4. grgsiocl macrumors member

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

A VPN is best.

Apple can't protect you from ****** app developers. Your security is only as good as the services/apps coded it for.

Don't do a subscription.

With a little nerdery and research, you can set one up on a ddwrt router at home. It's great.

Someone also linked that Opera offers a service.