Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
NOT an event, will simply be announced via a Press Release as the SE2:

1.) Wide Color capture & display !

2.) 4.333" display at 326 PPI (Apple's native apps are Ready to Go, most 3rd-party apps will need an Update to support the new resolution; i.e., to be optimized for it).

3.) A10 chip + 3 GB DRAM !

4.) 12 Mpx Back camera from the iPhone 7 (& wide-angle of the 7 Plus) ... so, OIS !

5.) Being released now for three Reasons: i.) to try to steal some Thunder (from others) releasing products in mid-late August timeframe, and ii.) to cover themselves in-case the iPhone 8 Ramp-Up is worse than expected, due to the Tech Difficulties, and iii.) there is Fear within Apple that the iPhone 8's Home Button architecture may put-off many potential customers, and they want a viable / credible Fallback to offer !

Yes but not in August, in April 2018.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
March 2019? That would be way too long without an update. Three years, actually.

The last time the SE was truly updated was back in March 2016, which was only 6 months after the 6S was released. Apple only updated the storage capacity this March, so it's certainly within reason that the SE could see a internal spec bump soon.

It was 3 years between 5C and SE. Makes sense to keep that tempo with the "cheap" models. There's no need for the latest tech in this right now. For Apple, it makes more sense to milk the SE and is.

The storage bump supports the idea that SE is in it for the long haul.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
An iPhone SE with 4~4.5 inch screen in a design similar to iPhone 8 (ie, no useless bezels on top and bottom) will be the ultimate dream come true!!

Ofcourse, I wont be holding my breath for that though.

Without a bezel on top or bottom holding the phone one-handed in landscape without covering part of the screen would be uncomfortable, awkward, or precarious. There needs to be at least one bezel. Form should not take precedent over function.

Reactions: HVDynamo

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
SE is a nice small affordable device indeed, however we need to be realistic - it is a niche iPhone to bring more people into Apple's system. Considering the recent storage space bump on it, it is very unlikely Apple would do anything about it until the spring 2018 at the earliest, else iPhone SE would have the fastest upgrade cycle of them all. Also, if the other rumours are true and Apple are already struggling with the technology behind the future iPhone 8, how can we expect them to pull a similar thing with a smaller form factor before the bigger device is out? Sounds dodgy to me.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
No hurry for me. My SE and me are fine with each other until probably mid/late next year.

Then I would love some great upgrades and I'll definitely buy the upgraded SE.
No doubt. I buy it. Almost without knowing what upgrades it would be.

Because I don't want the bigger iPadMini-iPhones I want an iPhone SE.
Perfect size. :D

BGarza

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
San Francisco
I've setup tons of SE's for folks at work. It's my favorite model to support simply because smaller screens have less surface area to crack. Favorite existing feature, "Wi-Fi Calling". I'm really impressed how many people never know about that feature.

Reactions: sracer

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
If the iPhone 8 is delayed, I could see Apple scrambling together the SE2 to ensure they don't get dip in "iPhone sales". I think Apple brought out the SE in April 2016 because they were forecasting a drop in turnover and wanted to keep numbers acceptable for shareholder reporting.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
An iPhone SE with 4~4.5 inch screen in a design similar to iPhone 8 (ie, no useless bezels on top and bottom) will be the ultimate dream come true!!

Ofcourse, I wont be holding my breath for that though.

That would be a very long holding of breath. My estimate is not before 2019 or 2020 to see such a fantastic phone.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The same naysayers said Apple would never announce new hardware at WWDC

The WWDC rumors were supported by Ming-Chi Kuo's reliable info. The A10X had to launch before A11 so it was obvious iPad Pro 10.5" had to hit the streets before September 2017.

This new iPhone SE rumor is not backed by anyone with credibility.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I have a dream.

A dream, where Apple comes out with a phone,

with a device size not bigger than the actual iPhone SE

with an edge-to-edge OLED display

current chip-and-camera technology, free of protruding wards

decent storage and battery life

That sounds like a decent iPhone to me.
[doublepost=1500499672][/doublepost]
. . . .we need to be realistic - it is a niche iPhone to bring more people into Apple's system . . . .

That may have been Apple's original intention, that as well as more accessibility into global markets, but from what I've seen, the SE is selling to a far more diverse customer base than they expected.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My SE is still going strong. I highly doubt Apple will release an updated SE with the 7s/8 rift around the corner.

That said, I'd happily upgrade to the new SE whenever it's released.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
iPhone Air:

4.3'' edge to edge
wireless charging
April 2018

The thinnest iPhone we've ever made.

I know this is crazy, but it could happen, don't forget the upcoming iPhone 8 is rumored to be an iPhone Pro, so it makes sense they milk it this way.

And let's not forget Apple didn't drop the Macbook Air line-up , what once used to be the most expensive Macbook they have ever made , is now the low end model with weird regular minor updates.

iPad - iPad Air - iPad Pro
Macbook - Macbook Air - Macbook Pro
iPhone - iPhone Air - iPhone Pro

Get it? this is revolutionary focus, coming to you from the same design house that made the awful Magic Mouse 2 lol

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Just offering an opinion here, but it would be really nice of Apple if they could come up with a cadence for updating the iPhone SE, iPad mini and the iPod Touch.

They don't have to update these things annually although I think it would be nice to do for the iPhone SE. But steady cadence would be nice. They could update these things in the quarters where their sales slow.

Let's say they update the iPhone SE annually and update the iPad mini and iPod Touch on a bi-annually, all in June. That will help with second quarter sales while making sure that these products are in ample supply for back-to-school sales.

Keep the main iPhone refresh in September. Update the larger iPads in March.

At this point they can update the Macs as needed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well that is how it used to be in the mid-2000s. One event in Sep for iPods and one in Oct for Macs -- generally. So it's not far fetched because Apple has done it before.

If you step back here Apple presumably has two or three big announcements to make this fall: iPhone 8, Apple Watch 3, and ATV 5. Apple could announce all that in one event -- but would it want to? 3 big products in once announcement and the message gets jumbled because the media has to focus on 3 major updates, not one or two. Makes a lot of sense to break those announcements up into two events.

Not every Keynote has to have hardware lined up because we expect it, which time and time again Apple has proved otherwise with random releases with updated hardware, just like how everyone expected to see the new iPad Pro's in March 2017, never happened, then it was rumored for April 2017 with the completion of the new campus, never happened. And I also suspect Apple will contribute part of the Keynote to the new facility and perhaps some sort of virtual tour.

Furthermore, I disagree with the Apple Watch 3 Fall release. Off topic, but it's not annual release project, it's an accessory, which Series 2 is more than capable until then. I would say between March through June 2018 for an 18 month refresh, Perhaps near WWDC with WatchOS 5, similar to the iPad Pro and the iOS 11 correlation.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
On a side note I think it is rather interesting there are hundreds of iPhone 6's and 6S's for sale on eBay yet hardly the SE. Seems people who buy them, keep them.
If I recall correctly, MacRumors had an article a few months ago that showed the SE has the highest customer satisfaction rating of all smartphones. That might help explain why people who buy them, keep them.

People who want a 4.7" SE don't seem to understand the appeal of the SE. There are many reasons why the SE is so appealing to the people that buy them. Price. Size. Style. Functionality. Tinker with any of those 4 elements and the appeal decreases.

As long as Apple keeps producing an SE (in close to its current form), I'll keep buying iPhones. Should they stop, the next time I need to buy a phone, it will be an Android phone. I don't know how many SE owners feel that way, hopefully we won't find out. :confused::D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
the SE is selling to a far more diverse customer base than they expected.

That's because The SE was NOT Just intended for the consumer market, it was also intended for India's commerce as well, to make an affordable phone available for their economic conditions and considering Apple is purportedly building a new Plant on their grounds.

Last edited:

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
If this is true, I bet it will just be making the current SE available in one of the black colors and/or Product Red. I'm willing to bet a black SE would be a big seller and a great way to pull potential buyers in shop and up-selling them to an iPhone 7 or 6s (if it remains available).

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Actually, it's not uncommon for Apple to bring out a noticeable upgrade to something, by press release/announcement only, in the weeks before a major event, if they a) have a very full/busy event planned, and/or b) don't want the news on the mid-level announcement taking press away from the high-level announcement.

So, new SE on August 1st, and then a week later in September, the event with the iPhones 7s/7s+/Pro, the ATV5, and the test-firing of the in-atmosphere maneuvering thrusters for the spaceship "campus".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.