Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Totally ****** to be honest.. I will not be a happy camper if i do not receive my iPhone 5 as promised on Friday. What bugs me is that I am the #3 preorder in line and they are saying they may or may not get iPhone 5s shelved.. yet go ahead and go on with their advertising.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
That is exactly what I was told by the manager.As late as yesterday afternoon,I called the store and they still had 2 Verizons available to sell.Amazing.My store is only getting 12 phones total since I live in a retirement area.

I was told that each store gets a different combo of phones, colors and carriers. Your preorder reserves that specific combination for you. Not sure what the number means either. My RS manager told me that they can't presell more phones than they know they're going to get.

llj1137075

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Totally ****** to be honest.. I will not be a happy camper if i do not receive my iPhone 5 as promised on Friday. What bugs me is that I am the #3 preorder in line and they are saying they may or may not get iPhone 5s shelved.. yet go ahead and go on with their advertising.

Calm down, if you preordered you'll get your phone.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
i think this thread is a good indication of how many people actually decided to preorder through radioshack, which is not a lot. if you look at the rest of the forum, Apple and the carriers are the main places people are ordering from. From what I have read, most Radioshacks are giving out the same type of information as well, so I think we have a good chance of getting our phones on Friday.

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
i think this thread is a good indication of how many people actually decided to preorder through radioshack, which is not a lot. if you look at the rest of the forum, Apple and the carriers are the main places people are ordering from. From what I have read, most Radioshacks are giving out the same type of information as well, so I think we have a good chance of getting our phones on Friday.

True!

Which is ... a good thing for us :D.

I am going to be checking back on this thread daily all the way until I get my Iphone 5 and after. I hope you guys get yours too.

llj1137075

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
True!

Which is ... a good thing for us :D.

I am going to be checking back on this thread daily all the way until I get my Iphone 5 and after. I hope you guys get yours too.

If you didn't see what i posted on page two, it's what will be happening at most stores.

meisjen26

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I was told that each store gets a different combo of phones, colors and carriers. Your preorder reserves that specific combination for you. Not sure what the number means either. My RS manager told me that they can't presell more phones than they know they're going to get.

Okay this makes sense to me. I figured that there would be a variety of phones for the specific carriers. I was a little confused when reading some comments on the forum about where they fall on this list of preorder stock. I can't imagine RS receiving x number of iphones from the same carrier with the same specs.

ALFAomega

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I know But let me tell you I ordered my phone through RadioShack 8 o'clock last Friday morning The guy told me the store manager said He was not sure if the Phones would come in on Friday the 21st Hesitantly I was thinking what the hell my last shot To get one But again I stress these guys at RadioShack don't know nothing But if you ordered it from Verizon that you would be in luck Yes at RadioShack it's a new policy they have with Verizon They have their own stock reserved for Verizon customers Put it this way as soon as my order was done I got a confirmation email from Verizon Said I will be receiving my phone on the 21st I got a tracking number and watching it from FedEx So I called RS again Spoke to someone else and they still have no idea When or if they are going to receive any shipments So all I can tell you is if you did not preorder from Verizon you're probably screwed !

llj1137075

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
I know But let me tell you I ordered my phone through RadioShack 8 o'clock last Friday morning The guy told me the store manager said He was not sure if the Phones would come in on Friday the 21st Hesitantly I was thinking what the hell my last shot To get one But again I stress these guys at RadioShack don't know nothing But if you ordered it from Verizon that you would be in luck Yes at RadioShack it's a new policy they have with Verizon They have their own stock reserved for Verizon customers Put it this way as soon as my order was done I got a confirmation email from Verizon Said I will be receiving my phone on the 21st I got a tracking number and watching it from FedEx So I called RS again Spoke to someone else and they still have no idea When or if they are going to receive any shipments So all I can tell you is if you did not preorder from Verizon you're probably screwed !

You're dumb. Nobody is screwed. I preordered mine from RadioShack for Verizon.
Same iconic preorder that they do at the Verizon store. Shipped to RadioShack for you.
You won't be able to see the shipping because you haven't paid for it yet.
It's radioshack's. They will get it Friday morning.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
One of the all-time hilarious lines in my year here.Well genius,tell me why my store still had 2 Verizon phones available as late as yesterday afternoon.Guess everybody else was looking forward to getting screwed.

So all I can tell you is if you did not preorder from Verizon you're probably screwed !

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I worked at RadioShack for 3+ years during the 4 and 4S release years. In that time we never received more than 4 phones total even when receiving over 50 preorders. I know a couple stores that received as many as 20 4S's. Radio Shack does not have a very reliable logistics system and during the 4S release it took our store 6 weeks to receive all stock needed to fulfill preorders. By that time most had found them somewhere else. Through all this corporate held phones in their online D2U ordering service so we could sell phones to walk-ins while still being able to tell preorders that their phones had not come in yet. I hope they have wised up and fixed their system, but as someone who knows how that place works on the inside, I would not trust them for a preorder. I still have many friends who work at that store and probably could have worked my way into a launch day phone but I just don't trust them. As to a refund for gift cards, I wouldn't count on it. Managers do have a option on returns valued at 50 and under but while I was there it did not apply to gift cards. This may have changed.

illstrumental

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Brooklyn
I called around and pretended to be dumb and the general consensus is that if you did you PO early, you're pretty good. I heard one store saying that you might get it and I dug asking why and they said because of the shipment concerns but generally if you're in the top 10 or so it seems like they are aiming to get you a phone. Being 4th on the list is good. I have to imagine that RS will get at least 4 phones but then again, I can be mistaken.

If people are trying to jump onto this train, they may be doing a waiting list because one location said that the cutoff point was yesterday at 1:15PMish. Again, this can vary per market but it seemed like they had a lot of pre-orders already.

Good luck to all and hope we all walk out with our phones!

I love that you guys do this! I hate talking on the phone, I just get all of my answers from yall lol.

I guess cutoff times depend on where you live. I was able to PO yesterday around 6:30. They stopped taking POs end of day.

Good luck to all of us.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I worked at RadioShack for 3+ years during the 4 and 4S release years. In that time we never received more than 4 phones total even when receiving over 50 preorders. I know a couple stores that received as many as 20 4S's. Radio Shack does not have a very reliable logistics system and during the 4S release it took our store 6 weeks to receive all stock needed to fulfill preorders. By that time most had found them somewhere else. Through all this corporate held phones in their online D2U ordering service so we could sell phones to walk-ins while still being able to tell preorders that their phones had not come in yet. I hope they have wised up and fixed their system, but as someone who knows how that place works on the inside, I would not trust them for a preorder. I still have many friends who work at that store and probably could have worked my way into a launch day phone but I just don't trust them. As to a refund for gift cards, I wouldn't count on it. Managers do have a option on returns valued at 50 and under but while I was there it did not apply to gift cards. This may have changed.

Thanks for the input. Did your store also tell preorders that they were going to get them on launch day?

llj1137075

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009

Well incase people can't tell from my last two posts I too work at a radioshack.

I've worked there for over 3 years, the iPhone 4 launch went perfect, the iPhone 4S went perfect, and the iPhone 5 will go as planned.

I saw how many we will be getting tonight before I got off work. We will have the phones tomorrow. Verizon preorders being the exception, those we will receive friday morning. But we will get every iPhone preordered and then some extras.
I've worked at three different stores for each of the launches and have had zero problems with preorders with iPhones, Evos, etc. Not sure why your store had so much trouble.

illstrumental

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Brooklyn
And of course get our phones PRIOR to the OCD BRIGADES tracking their phones prior to pick up,at pick up,from 1 Chinese city to another,over the ocean,in Anchorage,in Illinois,in Ontario Cal,at the local depot,on the truck-wishful thinking.
I can't fathom all this behavior.But this is only my 2nd iPhone.And believe me,no more 3am orders.

Took. THe words. Right outta my mouth!

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the input. Did your store also tell preorders that they were going to get them on launch day?

We were always told to say that a preorder guaranteed a phone but not necessarily on release day. I would say if they are telling you this either they are breaking protocol or already know their allotment. The former is more likely but the later may be possible now. It was not when I worked there. Even best buy won't tell you they guarantee a phone on Friday, and I'm sure they will have more.

llj1137075

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
We were always told to say that a preorder guaranteed a phone but not necessarily on release day. I would say if they are telling you this either they are breaking protocol or already know their allotment. The former is more likely but the later may be possible now. It was not when I worked there. Even best buy won't tell you they guarantee a phone on Friday, and I'm sure they will have more.

This is true, Never supposed to tell someone that they will get it on launch day.
Because things happen, although unlikely what if they all get stolen before they make it to the store? No way to replace all of the preorders before the next day.
But that's basically just to covers their backsides in case of something like that.

illstrumental

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Brooklyn
Well incase people can't tell from my last two posts I too work at a radioshack.

I've worked there for over 3 years, the iPhone 4 launch went perfect, the iPhone 4S went perfect, and the iPhone 5 will go as planned.

I saw how many we will be getting tonight before I got off work. We will have the phones tomorrow. Verizon preorders being the exception, those we will receive friday morning. But we will get every iPhone preordered and then some extras.
I've worked at three different stores for each of the launches and have had zero problems with preorders with iPhones, Evos, etc. Not sure why your store had so much trouble.

Oh man this post just made me so happy. *hugs you like a teddy bear*

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010

I hope for everyone that there are no problems. I'm glad your store went well, but most of the ones in my district had a really tough time. I can still remember the conference calls now. "I don't care if the preorder shows up or not sell that phone before the store closes tonight, and make sure it includes $50 of attachments."DM. Not an exact quote but close enough.

llj1137075

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
I hope for everyone that there are no problems. I'm glad your store went well, but most of the ones in my district had a really tough time. I can still remember the conference calls now. "I don't care if the preorder shows up or not sell that phone before the store closes tonight, and make sure it includes $50 of attachments."DM. Not an exact quote but close enough.

Sound like a typical conference call lol.
Hopefully we will sell all of our phones on friday, I think we will have some leftover 32gb though.
I might switch my 16gb out for one. But since verizon was done differently this time around I don't know if it's a possibility.

illstrumental

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Brooklyn
I will say that it seems like theyre ordering from a legit stock vs. taking orders without being sure what they're getting. At least at the store I ordered from.

I was up there getting my black ATT 16 PO and another employee commented that they were out of white and black Sprint 16s and white ATTs. He said "the system wouldnt let me ring them up". So the fact that they can run out of something gives me hope that theyre reserving them from real stock.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
so if i don't get my preorder on friday, my plan is to buy something that is worth more than $50, apply the $50 gift card, and then return said item. will radioshack just credit back to the gift card?

llj1137075

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
so if i don't get my preorder on friday, my plan is to buy something that is worth more than $50, apply the $50 gift card, and then return said item. will radioshack just credit back to the gift card?

Yea, that won't work.

You'll get a iPhone that day.

----------

I will say that it seems like theyre ordering from a legit stock vs. taking orders without being sure what they're getting. At least at the store I ordered from.

I was up there getting my black ATT 16 PO and another employee commented that they were out of white and black Sprint 16s and white ATTs. He said "the system wouldnt let me ring them up". So the fact that they can run out of something gives me hope that theyre reserving them from real stock.

Yea, it was from a stock of like 100k for the nation from what I understand.
And we ran out of 32gb black att first. Then others began to run out closer to tuesday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.