Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Pics of the adapters

does anyone have pictures of the 1st gen adapter next to the 3g adapter? the original iphone's was nice because the prongs folded down and didn't poke anything or get bent. the 3g prongs don't fold away, do they?

First and third pictures (with 1st Gen iPhone charger) are
New iPhone 3G adapter (left) == recalled iPhone 3G adapter (middle) == original iPhone adapter (right)

The second picture is == recalled iPhone 3G adapter (left) == New iPhone 3G adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    349.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 96

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
New brand: macAdapter Air

Well this is one way to get some of us to refrain from mailing an exchange. Anyone within 30 miles of a store should burn gas instead.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Does anyone know if you can use a usb extender cable on this adapter to make it longer since it is so short? I cant use it when its plugged into the wall socket on the floor..i keep pulling out the plug by mistake.
thanks

I use one at work, and it charges the phone just fine, I even have a dock there for it to sit in.

I got both of mine today and will be just leaving them at work to ship out DHL, they come every day to my work.

oacory

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
New Jersey
I live in NJ right outside of Philly and I have no replacement yet. I will keep you guys posted when I get it with any info I can help with.

I just received it today and it exactly how it looks like in the pictures but I have yet to actually test it.

LoMonkey

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
Just got mine in the mail. For those wondering if we HAVE to return the old one, here's what the back of the label that you rip off says:

Attachments

• returnlabel.jpg
    returnlabel.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 184

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
Just got mine in the mail. For those wondering if we HAVE to return the old one, here's what the back of the label that you rip off says:

Thanks for clearing up a lot. That's a bummer but it makes the most sense. My belief is that Apple will simply remove the prongs and replace it with the new ones (I assume their technicians can do this with no big problem). Then sell it off/ship all of them to the AT&T and Apple stores for an in-house exchange.

iphonesarecool

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
England, UK
I thought Apple were all green now

That's a massive box just for that. Apple were talking about how green and how environmentally friendly the new nano is. Then they do that.

Attachments

• Apple 26.jpg
    Apple 26.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 101

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
So after I dropped off the package in a DHL Drop-Box, I realized the letter they sent had a back side. Of course, this back side said in big bold letters at the top "DO NOT PUT IN A DHL DROP-BOX"

Great lol :p that figures

chrisjonny

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
St.Louis
Does anyone know if you can use a usb extender cable on this adapter to make it longer since it is so short? I cant use it when its plugged into the wall socket on the floor..i keep pulling out the plug by mistake.
thanks

I've used one for the past year and a half (old and new power adapter)

Y2JDMBFAN

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I just went into my local Apple store and swapped mine out with no problems. I gave them the old one and they gave me the new one, no problem. No paperwork, computers, or anything....

Y2J

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I just went into my local Apple store and swapped mine out with no problems. I gave them the old one and they gave me the new one, no problem. No paperwork, computers, or anything....

Y2J

I thought they weren't available until tomorrow.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I got mine yesterday, I'm in St. Louis. Now I gotta find some place to drop it off at.

Considering that Apple is likely going to just throw these away when they get them, why the hell do they want to pay for the return shipping too? Why not just tell us to pitch them.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Considering that Apple is likely going to just throw these away when they get them, why the hell do they want to pay for the return shipping too? Why not just tell us to pitch them.

One word sums it up: litigation.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I don't get it, can someone please explain why people use this logic.

Apple announces that they need to replace the USB adaptors due to a possible defect. They give you 2 ways to get a new one, have a new one shipped to you, and then you put the old one in the box and ship it back, or, you can simply go to an Apple Store with your adaptor and turn them in at the store and they will give you a new one.

My question is this, Why are so many people wondering if Apple will charge them if they do't send back the old adaptor when the new one was shipped to them. If you don't send back the old one, they have every right to charge you, plain and simple.

Maybe next time they should have you either send them the old adaptor first then ship you the new one or have you get off your lazy a$$ and only do the in-store exchange.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
As a general rule of thumb, Apple delivers early...

I understand they were delivered early. He said he walked into an Apple store and got his exchanged. When I was on the phone today to the Apple Store they said they were not available to exchange until the 10th (tomorrow).

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Does the recall cover the defective iPod plugs also? :confused:

Attachments

• power_cord_5.JPG
    power_cord_5.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 79
  • power_cord_6.JPG
    power_cord_6.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 88
  • power_cord_7.JPG
    power_cord_7.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 76
  • power_cord_3.JPG
    power_cord_3.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 90
  • power_cord_2.JPG
    power_cord_2.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 82

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
It limited how many images I could attach, so here's the rest...

Attachments

• power_cord_1.JPG
    power_cord_1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 82
  • power_cord_4.JPG
    power_cord_4.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 75
  • post2iPhonePhoneOfTheDay.JPG
    post2iPhonePhoneOfTheDay.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 224
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.