iPhone X Returning my iPhone X today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wongster41, Nov 4, 2017.

1. hch3psa macrumors regular

hch3psa

I have now joined this club. X for the 8 Plus. I realized it’s insane for me to try and convince myself that I love the X when I don’t. When the Plus model version or whatever they call it comes out next year I’ll give it another try. I’m a bit sad, I have never returned a phone before.

2. Hackett00, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Hackett00 macrumors newbie

Fanboy? That's rich. This is only the second iphone i've owned. I tried it when they finally increased the screen size but the phone was just a little too unwieldy with the unused space (won't use the "b" word, i promise and I'm sorry it offends you). I stand by my original statement. I made my purchase not because of some petty status thing, i made it because apple finally made a phone without the b's...just like i finally bought an apple phone for the first time when they decided to increase the screen size. i apologize if I went about it in a dickish way, your wide sweeping assumption that only status seekers bought an X is so far off base. Take care, enjoy your phone, i'll enjoy mine. I happen to love it.

And by the way, if you read my post, "what's juvenile" is making assumptions, wide sweeping assumptions. Most people with experience in this world know that there are so many variations of the human mind/human experience that stereotypes and assumptions about intent are nearly impossible to make accurately.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

A thousand dollar iPhone would be even a worse decision if you were to keep it for something you don't like. At least you made a rational decision that you wanted something else that the iPhone X was not it, which the iPhone 8 is still a great choice that Apple offers.

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

The initial novelty factor has worn off for sure, but I still use it, just not as much. Some things are just funnier to say with Animoji making odd little expressions than with words.

5. JOHNGAETANO macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

During the 6 weeks I had my iPhone 8 Plus I loved it. I was also convinced I wouldn't be interested in a non-home button iPhone. I didn't even pre-order a X. Then last Friday morning I found myself in line at 3am waiting on a X. After a week with it, I love it. I miss the home button, but am adapting and getting much more familiar with FID and Swipe up. Much respect for everyone's personal choices here. Both the 8 plus and X are amazing devices. Enjoy them all.....

6. cardfan macrumors 65816

The 8 Plus isn't exactly that cheap either. But it is pretty funny these people are exchanging the X for SOMETHING. Most aren't going back to their old plus. Apple wins and enjoys the profit margin on your purchase regardless. A strange thing this desire to have something new, if not an X, then an 8.

7. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

I never get these journal topics and people debating what someone else did. This topic should have died.

8. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I wonder if for some like myself, we are so eager for Apple to release something "new", something "different", that we will jump at whatever they throw at us, to later find it was not what we were hoping for.

Others will be happy with any new release and be very satisfied.

It's a lot easier to please some of the people some of the time, than it is to please all of the people all of the time.

9. AppleRobert macrumors 603

At this you tried it, no harm in returning the X if it is not to your liking.

10. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

The comment I originally responded to was:

"iPhone 8 are for the people who freak out over change, like the OP".

Now read again what I wrote in response:

"The 8 could also be for people who are smart with their money or don’t subscribe to the idea that a phone is a status symbol or part of their identity".

Nowhere did I mention the X, make assumptions about large groups of people, or otherwise make juvenile comments. I responded to a juvenile comment and a "sweeping assumption" about the type of person who buys an 8.

If anything wide sweeping assumptions and stereotypes were applied to what I wrote. I think you took my comment out of context.

I do agree with your comment "Most people with experience in this world know that there are so many variations of the human mind/human experience". I'd take my own advise in this case.

11. mrklaw macrumors 68020

This part

clearly implies that someone choosing an X isn't smart with their money, which is a sweeping generalisation and an insult. It also implies that anyone buying an X is only doing so as a status symbol. Also a sweeping generalisation

12. Buddi macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    I have a 6 plus and getting adjusted to the screen took a little bit in x but did that in few days. I am considering returning it....

Pro’s: It is much faster
    Better camera

Cons:
    Cannot deal with the notch on lighter backgrounds and that includes more than 90% of the use (emails, browsing, videos, etc).
    Face ID is ok but don’t see the need to swipe after Face ID
    The black bar at the bottom is distracting
    They should have done a better job of taking care of the aesthetics on the phone

13. icewolf247 macrumors regular

I have received my iPhone X today (Earlier shipped than 13th so that's something)

I am looking at it, screen changes colour on different angles. Notch is noticeable. Blank space below keyboard looks awful

But above all, I just see an £1149 phone and question whether it's worth it. I'm really not convinced. I just don't feel excited by this phone, not like I have with every iPhone I've had before and if I'm honest I feel like Apple are ripping me off. I also think about their butchering of the apple Watch functionality (iPhone music control) and it's not the apple I grew to respect

I guess for the 10th anniversary I expected incredible innovation and I don't see it

So, I have 14 days and really not sure

14. SparklyApple macrumors member

It is entirely possible it’s a user issue. I have vision problems and have to hold the phone super-close to my face to see it clearly. Glasses/contacts do not help enough, I still need the physical closeness to read... and that closeness is too close for Face ID. I’m hoping they can improve the sensor at some point.

15. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

Exactly lol. Who cares if you are returning the phone for crying out loud. I would have just returned it and moved on with my life.

16. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Wrong. I said "The 8 could also be for people who are smart with their money" No mention of the X at all. I implied people who buy an 8 may be fiscally conscious of their decision. No mention of X users being anything. I was responding to a comment from someone else insinuating 8 users are stuck in the past or afraid of change.

I then go on to provide a basis for my reasoning by saying I "don’t subscribe to the idea that a phone is a status symbol or part of their identity". Again no mention of the X. If you assumed that is what I was referring to thats on you. I was talking about buying a phone, any phone. Trust me I typed the words. My apologies if you took it personally.

If you have to argue with people on a forum about reasons for buying a phone, or argue the idea that people see a phone as a status thing, then maybe it really is an identity issue. My apologies to all. I'm done here.

17. Buddi macrumors newbie

Also don’t like the 3 step process to delete any active apps. I really wanted to upgrade but will wait for the next version. I need to feel happy about a phone after spending 1k+

18. Sunnyday2017 Suspended

Sunnyday2017

Purchases my first iPhone coming from Galaxy S7 and at first this X seemed what I wanted, but after a week of minor faseID issues I returned the X for the 8+. I prefer the larger screen for my larger hands and the keyboard was so much better for me. I do hope that Apple will come out with a larger size iPhone X next year so I can give that a go.

19. NewdestinyX macrumors 65816

Confession - didn't read the other 400 replies before responding to this early one - so maybe many already said this - but:

The screen on the X is actually larger! The physical 7Plus phone body is larger due to the bezel.. but the screen itself is 5.7" diagonal where the X is 5.8. And there is no decrease in physical screen size as you allude. X's is wider AND taller than 7Plus.

So if you dislike the screen's looks.. that's one thing.. but your size arguments just don't fit the facts.

20. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Your argument don’t fit

21. Black05Hemi macrumors regular

Exactly. For some reason, people on here want us to care. No clue why.

22. NewdestinyX macrumors 65816

Aha! Now I see.. I stand corrected. So Apple sorta 'iPhone 5'-ed us again.. and screwed up aspect ratio.

23. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Bingo

24. NewdestinyX macrumors 65816

Ah well. No big. Apple's not the only media company trying to strong arm the industry to 21:9 aspect ratio.. from my reading just now.. in the meantime I'll enjoy a few more lines of text in Portrait mode. No big.. Nothing to get all huffy about and return your phone for..

25. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Then you don't know the facts....the effective area for videos (not filling the screen), photos and UI elements like the keyboard are nearly identical to the iPhone 8, not the plus.

The size classes being used for coding the apps on the X are those for the smaller iPhones, not the larger.