Returning my iPhone X today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wongster41, Nov 4, 2017.

1. pjny, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

pjny macrumors 6502a

What is the process for returning the X at an Apple Store. Just walk in with the x and packaging? Will they refund Applecare+?

Is the 14-day window from the day you receive the iPhone via UPS or from the date of shipment(1-2 days)?

Thanks.
    [
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Hi, Gryzor.

Send me a link to your favorite site and I will take a photo of my X with that site loaded and DM you if you think I am wasting my time bashing a phone you think I do not have.

And how can u comment on swipe vs home button when you don't even have the phone yet?

I WANT ro lovw the X. There are many things I like about it. But I do not LOVE it.

The screen is my main issue. Just too small horizonally for reading web pages.

I will wait for the X+.

I hope the X eventually unlocks to home screen after FACE ID validates your face. It's like you would have to swipe up after TOUCH ID confirms your fingerprint.

--- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Hi, Gryzor.

Send me a link to your favorite site and I will take a photo of my X at that site and DM you if you think I am wasting my time bashing a phone you think I do not have.

And how can u comment on swipe vs home button when you don't even have the phone yet?

I WANT ro lovw the X. There are many things I like about it. But I do not LOVE it.

The screen is my main issue. Just too small horizonally for reading web pages.

I will wait for the X+.

I hope the X eventually unlocks to home screen after FACE ID validates your face. It's like you would have to swipe up after TOUCH ID confirms your fingerprint.

2. Oyukis macrumors newbie

Oyukis

you're so wrong, iPhone 8 plus has the same internals that the iPhone X have, also camera not much of a difference, unless you're a professional photographer and OFC you can't recommend an android phone because doesn't have iOS so there's no point on hating the 8 plus which is a beast, and it's been a while with the "same" design, that's true but people will never confuse iPhone 6-7 with the 8/plus because of that glossy glass back and because of the colors, gold is finally a rose gold and gold fusion, silver is like a white and space grey is more on the grey than the black side, so the only thing that will remain the same is the front but OFC if you had a previous iPhone with a white front get the space grey model, and if you had the black front get the white one instead, so you'll see a "difference" or we can say "trick" the brain.
    No android will ever match the iPhone 8/plus in terms of performance and quality of the device at least not this year.

3. NewdestinyX macrumors 6502a

I also don't like the idea of essentially two actions happening now where touch ID was a single action. You placed your finger on the ID scanner and press and it went right to your home screen. Now you have to lift the phone look at it and then swipe up. Clearly two actions. That's unacceptable.

But you'll be waiting a long time if you're looking for an X plus. None of apples plans have any intention of making that screen into a larger format. The screen is already larger than a current Plus phone vertically. Even though the phone housing is smaller due to no bezels.

There will be an X2.. but not an X Plus.

4. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

I dunno, I know a lot of people who love their Note 8's. It's alot ot tech for less money.

Kinda wish I was an Android fan but it's too janky for me and requires a lot of management which I just can't be bothered with. Also Apple offers me great backup solutions although itunes is a terrible piece of software and always has been.

5. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Android is great if you need to customize every single thing on your phone. There is thread on here from a former Android user that describes this perfectly Android vs iOS.

I wonder if Apple and Samsung would make more money selling hardware/software separately. I would totally ditch iphones and go for a Note 8 and then pay to get Apple iOS.

6. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

Yep I'd be onboard for that idea. Never gonna happen.

7. Gracey217 macrumors newbie

Gracey217

If you’d have turned of TrueTone, which creates lighting that is most comfortably viewable by the human eye by adjusting lighting to its ambient surroundings, you could’ve gotten ridden of the warmer tones you didn’t care for. If you turn that feature off in the settings for display/brightness, you can achieve the same old bright blue-white you’re used to. Being one who reads a lot online, I like the ambient fix.

Obviously that doesn’t change the cropping to the aspect ratio you’re talking about… So if you use you to tomorrow maybe the A+ is better for you. But just so others know, the lighting issue you referred can easily be fixed.

the resolution at 1125 px just means you get a crispier image because you have more pixels packed in the same space.

what you probably dont like is the aspect ratio. and thats fine, you are resistant to change. some people complained when their 3.5" screen in the iphone 4 became obsolete because they bought apple's "makes sense screen because you can reach it with your thumb from edge to edge".

LCDs are indeed brighter because they beam a constant light throughout the screen. however, this prevents deep contrasts and a truer black; as well as being less battery efficient.

take your time.. one step at a time. you'll get there eventually.[/QUOTE]

8. bevsb2, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I don't presume to know what plans Apple has for next year's flagship phone, but it amazes me at the number of members here that state they will wait until next year for the X plus as if it were a known fact that there will be an X plus.

9. hch3psa macrumors regular

hch3psa

I agree. Even after just 24 hours I know I’ve made the right decision.

10. Sigp232 macrumors member

Sigp232

There has to be an X+ next year. This years X is a replacement for the 6-7-8 phones not the + series.

11. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

One thing you can not accuse apple of is not being consistent. In recent years many would call them predictable. I think its fair to say there will be a plus model

12. NewdestinyX macrumors 6502a

You heard it here first. They've gone as large screen-wise as they wish to go. It's not like Apple to be muscled into a mob mentality. Look how long it took them to give us the original 6+ after Samsung had been doing large screens for over two years. And they released their 5.5 with a 4.7 same year - proving they believed the large format was a fad.

But people bought the Plusses by the millions. Apple had to cave. But it took 2 years. It will take a while again. This move to the X was NOT a replacement for the 6/7/8. It was a "conflating" of the 7/7Plus into one phone. With a taller screen than even the plus. No way they go larger and have two sizes again. Cook hated that.

You watch.. you heard it here first.

We get a 2nd gen X next year.. maybe 5.9" screen. or slight extra width to rematch 16:9 aspect ratio. But no "Plus" 6.3 or something like that. Not gonna happen. Not Apple's way "to cave". The "lead" not follow.

13. NewdestinyX macrumors 6502a

14. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Very interesting thoughts there. You could very well be correct. A rematch of 16:9 aspect would be great imo.

15. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

This was a statement from Apple?

16. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Let me say this while I type this in my iPhone 7 Plus 256gb. The s8plus is no slouch believe that like I said previous if android can match iMessage I would leave in a heart beat. The iPhone is a well made device but to say the iPhone 7,8 can’t be matched is far stretched. To be honest is preference no more or no less no matter how we defend what we like it simply boils down to preference.

17. Sigp232 macrumors member

Sigp232

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

So you're not bothered with the antiquated design of the 7 Plus? It just looks so old looking which is why I want an X. Design is so important to me.

19. jennyp macrumors 6502

Face ID works very well but frankly I preferred Touch ID with the button. It just felt more natural for the hand. And really I think now that Touch ID was faster than Face ID.

Coming from a 7, I feel the phone is just too tall.

And that notch is just stupid! Everything should end on a line below it.

Having to reach up to the far right corner to get the control centre is a pain.

And this might seem heresy but I don't see much improvement in the screen at all. No OLED Olé for me.

It's a good phone, generally, but picking up a 7 now feels more comfortable, and I think Apple have lost their way a bit with this one.

PS "Space Grey"? This is .. er .. black.

20. Relentless Power, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Design is entirely subjective. Performance and comfort in the hand is what it really comes down to. I know my perception is going to differ from yours, but I still find it incredible that that iPhone 7 is less than an inch thick and is more powerful than the computer was 10 years ago. By no means at all do I think the iPhone 7 or 8 is antiquated, it's just an entirely different look from the iPhone X.

21. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

[/QUOTE]

Nope. You'd think that's how this screen and features would work but for many this is not the case. Them blue whites don't exist for many devices despite switching of truetone.

For me at least with truetone on the screen is a deep yellow mess. And not at all like my ipad pro.

22. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

*shrug*

My 8+ should be good for at least 3 years since my launch day 6+ lasted me that long despite being considered underpowered (1GB RAM) for its time. I can wait it out for a while. A lot can happen in the tech world over 3 years. We might even have foldable phones by then.

I’m willing to compromise on screen width though if I feel the sacrifice is made up for elsewhere. Currently I don’t feel that’s the case with the X. FaceID is not an upgrade, it’s a sidegrade. Home button vs swipe, eh, different way of carrying out the same action. I don’t care either way. Animojis are a fun gimmick not worth making sacrifices over, but I’ll happily take them if I don’t have to make sacrifices. Design and one handed use is way down my priority list and the general body size of the + was never an issue to me. I adapted with the similar sized Note 2 some 5 years ago. The only thing that could really win me over is the quality of the OLED display, but as it turns out, even that can be a bit dodgy, potentially requiring multiple returns in order to win the lottery, which I did with my 8+.

A refined version of the X with a screen width somewhere between the current X and 8+ could easily win me over. I’m not hell bent on keeping the current + screen width, just give me something good in return so it doesn’t feel like a downgrade.

23. Sunnyday2017 macrumors member

Sunnyday2017

If the iPhone 8+ was a mistake, then why did I return my iPhone X and get the iPhone 8 plus? I am glad Apple gave us a choice.

24. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a