Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the review.

Troop,

I know you have front/back protection on the phone but what about side films? I currently only have a front/back and was wondering if I needed to install the side pieces. Does the case scratch an unprotected metal band?

Also, any watermarking yet?

I don't have a back protector, just the SGP on the screen is all. Honestly I don't know :( But about the watermarking, I have none probably because I'm not useing a back protector since using one is kind of unnecessary with a case like this.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
How do you know? I can take week or months for scratches to appear. You might be able to make a guess, but you can never tell for sure. I have seen so many scratched iPhones that have been in 'good' cases. It not the case, but the cases inability to keep crap out.

I have an Incase perforated on my 3GS. Everyone raved about it, because everyone rushed to review it after a day or two of having it. But after 2 months the back of my 3GS was in a terrible state and i probably lost $100+ off its resale value.

The 3GS is probably 50 times more scratch prone due to the cheap plastic back Apple uses.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
The 3GS is probably 50 times more scratch prone due to the cheap plastic back Apple uses.

Maybe, but i have seen plenty of scratched iPhone 4's recently.

Maybe i am paranoid, but from now on i will always put a Invisibleshield/Scratchwrap on as well as a case now. Pays for itself when you come to sell it in a year.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Mine is on the truck for delivery today so I was psyched to find this review! :D Thanks OP for your efforts. :)

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Maybe, but i have seen plenty of scratched iPhone 4's recently.

Maybe i am paranoid, but from now on i will always put a Invisibleshield/Scratchwrap on as well as a case now. Pays for itself when you come to sell it in a year.

Yeah, the iPhone 4 scratches way easier than I thought it would. I've had mine in some form of a case since day 1, and pulling off my case yesterday to try another one on (pulled off a SwitchEasy Colors silicone case to put on a CandyShell), and I see about a 2 inch long scratch right down the back of my phone. And like I said, this phone has been babied and in soft cases since I opened the box. The glass back on this phone seems so soft.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Hi,

Great review and pics, thanks! Just what I needed.

I have this case coming from Apple too and it looks really nice.

One question: Is it hard to actually 'snap' the case over the phone when putting it on, and is there any risk of scratching the steel bezel of the phone when doing so?

Cheers!

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I just received this case through Apple's Case program. I have to say, I really like it. I am not a fan of cases at all but figured I would take advantage of the case program for the heck of it. I am happy that I did, it will remain on my phone.

troutspinner

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
How do you know? I can take week or months for scratches to appear. You might be able to make a guess, but you can never tell for sure. I have seen so many scratched iPhones that have been in 'good' cases. It not the case, but the cases inability to keep crap out.

I have an Incase perforated on my 3GS. Everyone raved about it, because everyone rushed to review it after a day or two of having it. But after 2 months the back of my 3GS was in a terrible state and i probably lost $100+ off its resale value.

Good Post.

This will scratch like any other case that lets dirt in between. Just wait until someone with a back cover says if it will fit or not.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I am very interested in hearing whether the case (and other clear cases as well) holds up in terms of scratches. Say what you will about the Ivyscam Reception case, I have to say of all the clear cases I have owned in the past, it has not one scratch after a full week of use.

bigtrip

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
This case does not work with side or back clear protectors. I had the sgp back and sides and had to remove both. That being said, I really like the looks of this case. Although it does feel quite slippery after using a bumper since launch.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Do you think the clear will turn yellow like my belkin grip vue did?

The grip vue is made of completely different materials, oh and its a HORRIBLE case! I put it on, took it straight back off, put it in an envelope, and sent it back for a refund.

Edit: This is the case Im currently using, had the same one for my 3GS before and they are great. WILL NOT mark your phone! Soft inside, with a pull tab on the back to extract the phone. Phone will not fall out on its own, even when shaken. Hard leather and smells lovely :)

4879434035_3c13e558de_z.jpg

I use it as my main case and the incase snap will be my travelling case.

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
This case does not work with side or back clear protectors. I had the sgp back and sides and had to remove both. That being said, I really like the looks of this case. Although it does feel quite slippery after using a bumper since launch.

That's too bad as I have the full sgp kit too. Thanks for letting us know. So it seems only the Apple bumper doesn't require needing to take off the full kit. =(

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
It was free. (Thread title says from Apple case program) lol

Thanks. I just wanted clarification because I know these are already shipping and in stores, and just because it's from the case program doesn't mean that you got this one from the case program. You could have just purchased it and picked a different free case, and are just showing us one of the options available, not necessarily the one you chose.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm just wondering how people are getting theirs weeks before me. I thought I was pretty quick about ordering mine. Plus I live in the same area as Incase, Apple, and most international receiving centers. I figured I'd get mine pretty quick.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks. I just wanted clarification because I know these are already shipping and in stores, and just because it's from the case program doesn't mean that you got this one from the case program. You could have just purchased it and picked a different free case, and are just showing us one of the options available, not necessarily the one you chose.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm just wondering how people are getting theirs weeks before me. I thought I was pretty quick about ordering mine. Plus I live in the same area as Incase, Apple, and most international receiving centers. I figured I'd get mine pretty quick.

Mine shipped from Chicago fyi.

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Montana

Where is this available in stores?

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010

Back protectors are so thin, I really don't see how this case will not support a back film.

Side films I can see not fitting correctly do to the sides being noticeable raised.

I will confirm tonight when I go home from work.

I have a Wrapsol matte back and a PS crystal front. Hopefully with this case, it'll end my search for a perfect combination

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
wohoo! finally got shipping notification from Apple. Ordered July 23, 2010 and shipping thru DHL and should be here by August 17, 2010. :D

Now we'll see if this case is bettery than the Ivyskin - Reception case, I'm pretty happy with my reception case but we'll see. ;)

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
I am really loving this case.

It's a little slippery but I'm sure as you use it more, the initial gloss will start to wear off and have a better grip.

I had to take off the back protection film because it did not snap properly. The case feels sturdy and doesn't feel cheap at all.

Hopefully it doesn't scratch my phone and so far, no watermarks.

Extremely satisfied.

azelaya84

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
I received mine today but it was weird cuz when I checked shipping status it said it had arrived at my local post office at 7pm today. To my surprise though when I got home from work and looked in the mailbox there it was lol. I have a BSE on the back of my iPhone and it DOES fit with the case only down side is it DOES leave the oil slick/water marks on the back. I prefer to have those marks rather than dust getting in between and scratching the back of the phone. The case is def very nice and feels very well made. I took off my bumper and will give this a shot for a couple of weeks or till something else comes out that catches my attention lol.

Aaron1021

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Texas
i really wish the "made in china" wasn't imprinted on the side...still a good looking case though. i ordered the smoke colored one though.

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Anyone know if the Powersupport Crystal back films will work with this case? My Wraspol matte back (which is a little thicker than my PS front film) was a little too thick for the case to "snap" on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.