Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luckybobby

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
wow - what a spoiled little brat.

go get her a book not a $400 device.

Hey, she is not a spoiled brat if anything you're just an person that judges everything. She has books and those devices were given to her by her baby sitter and my cousin. Just because someone has something you didn't have as a child doesn't mean that they're a brat.

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Hey she is not a spoiled brat if anything you're just an person that judges everything.She has books and those devices were given to her by her baby sitter and my cousin. Just because someone has something you didn't have as a child doesn't mean that their a brat.

I agree. This board is littered with ignorant people. Just ignore them.

eichwulf

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Ipod Touch a few years ago there was no alternative, sure. Now I think the 7" tablets are directly competing with it. I had an Ipod Touch and never use it again and wouldn't even consider getting another one because I am used to the 7" screen now and I bought it for $150 (now you can find one for $100). It's much better for games, books, movies, etc. For music a smaller mp3 player is better.

Aug 5, 2012
Agree. I have this one and it was the best. Since then, Apple has continually made the Nano smaller with no camera, then re-adds the camera, then makes it bigger with video playback. This gen of Nano HAD IT ALL.

Not really... Too big and ugly

Sounds like you know all the products very well ;-)

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
My little girl used to be the target audience for the iPod Touch. That audience expects more for that kind of money now. If the iPad Mini isn't HD and isn't below 300 dollars, she'll just spend her Xmas/birthday money on a Kindle Fire HD. There's so many better options than the Touch now.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I still love my "fatty" nano, still works great and the form factor seems just right to me. The new nano looks good and is a huge improvement over the last one with no video playback, they just need to bring their pricing down on all the ipods if they want to keep sales up.

Does this mean the new version of iTunes on Mac will be out soon?

It's announced for this month. Support for these two must already be in iTunes or they wouldn't be able to use it.

Maybe it will release along with an iPad mini announcement, otherwise it will just come out some random time this month, the hardware and software don't have to ship at the same time.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Have you heard of Freedom pop? they are a free 4G Wimax (500 MB) or cheap ($18 for 2 GB) and they have a 4G sleeve for the previous generation, only a matter of time before they create a sleeve for the current generation.

If I didn't have an iPhone, I would seriously consider them.

I'm outside the US and paying for a data plan is the last of my problems as 3GB costs only 5€ for a month here, but I was concerned about having a cheap iOS device with an integrated cellular module.

Using a MiFi, hotspot, tethering or similar is miles behind in terms of integration and immediateness.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Really don't understand the complaints on the Touch regarding pricing, £249 for a 32Gb iPod Touch compares to £599 for a 32Gb iPhone 5. That's a pretty damn good deal in my book. Not convinced? Well thankfully Apple sell their whole iPhone range unlocked in the UK so we can get comparison prices easily.

The cheapest iPhone is the 4 which goes for £319 but that's only got 8Gb of storage. Same camera, slower SoC, smaller screen... if the phone component isn't a must have it's a no-brainer.

How about the 4S? 16Gb goes for £449 unsubsidised and unlocked, £200 more than the iPod Touch. Better camera, same SoC, half the memory, smaller screen... again the iPod Touch is looking like a pretty good deal.

Would it be better if the lower end unit was a 5th gen? Of course, but then it probably wouldn't be £169 either.

That said the Verge seem to have rather phoned that review in. It's fair enough to comment on the lack of GPS but to claim it's baffling that it's not there is silly. From a technical viewpoint the GPS is, I believe, integrated into the wireless modem these days, hence it's omission. Odd that a tech web site decided to go the "there's no obvious reason for removing it" path when there clearly is! Then again it's The Verge and their coverage has nosedived recently IMO.

Macinfriend

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
California
If they would have doubled the HD of the touch to match or beyond the ipod classic id be saving for a touch. Im one that uses the ipod to listen to my music collection, as i have near filled my 80gig ipod gen 5.5. I dont care for or need cloud, but i do need a higher capacity ipod. The 160 classic will probably be my next purchase

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Third was the fatty. I mean the longer one that shot video. Wasn't that the fourth?

Edit: I was right. It was the white/black plastic one, then multi colors in mostly the same shape, then the fatty, then the one I mean, then the two years of the shuffle wanna be, then this new one. I'll stick with the 4th gen.
----------

Strange touch interface yet not iOS, no video camera, no video playback, no tactile controls. And yes, that last one is a bad thing for a workout device.

You've got them confused. The 5th gen was the long one with a video camera. The 4th gen had a similar design (same curved glass display) but had no video camera or FM receiver.

The 6th gen was the touchscreen nano that people used as a watch.

pgewirtz

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Barely an upgrade

Although I don't love the new Nano design, it will suffice. However, by refusing to increase the capacity of the Nano after so many years, Apple has essentially killed it. All I want in a new Nano (that it doesn't already have) is more memory so I can fit more songs and not have to carry around my Classic, especially when I travel. 16GB just doesn't cut it with me anymore. I bought the first 16GB model years ago and haven't upgraded since.

I have an iPhone as well, but the battery and memory are needed for phone calls and apps, so I don't use it as an iPod. In my opinion, as much as I love it, the Nano is dead.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
(how cool was the watch?).

It wasn't cool at all because you had to plug your headphones into it.

Too young for such devices imo

What is it about the ability to use the internet that makes people feel like they are qualified to give parenting advice to people they don't re children they don't know? Seriously, what is that based on? Why is that too young? How do you know what it's used for anyway? What is the right age and why? I mean, come on, think for even a few nano seconds about whether or not you have even the slightest idea of what you are talking about before posting, OK?

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
What these anti-apple blogs and android sheep fail to realize is that there are actually people out there who exercise! The nano is a perfect exercise companion and I see more people exercising (look it up) with nanos than with any other iPod/iphone.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I really hate that kind of review perspective (from the Verge now), where a techno guy, used to have a smartphone and a tablet, "penalizing" a product for the fact that it isn't a phone or a tablet.

I mean, if you buy a iPod Nano, you don't expect an internet connection and connecting wirelessly to iTunes Match to download song. You expect it to work with your computer, not as a "standalone product".

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Why couldn't they make a 16GB iPod Touch for $199 or even $229 like the did when the iPod Touch 4th Gen first came out. $299 is going to make people go to an out and get an out of date "Smart Music Player."

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
...If you're cool with managing files...

The review of the Nano is obsessed with the idea of manually managing music files... But, er, doesn't it work the same way it does with iTunes with any other iPod (or iPhone or iPad)?

Here are the steps my wife follows:

Step 1: plug iPod into computer... iTunes launches, files sync, done.

That's it right? Where is all the file management? We actually leave iTunes running and set to auto-download purchased from itunes so it picks up purchases made on other devices as well.

Aug 5, 2012
It wasn't cool at all because you had to plug your headphones into it.

What is it about the ability to use the internet that makes people feel like they are qualified to give parenting advice to people they don't re children they don't know? Seriously, what is that based on? Why is that too young? How do you know what it's used for anyway? What is the right age and why? I mean, come on, think for even a few nano seconds about whether or not you have even the slightest idea of what you are talking about before posting, OK?

In this instance i am highly qualified to give my opinion on this matter.

Please think before posting such negative comments

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Doesn't matter to someone who doesn't want to pay for cellular service, or already has a working phone (or is stuck with one due to a contract).

Great idea! So buy an iPhone and use it as a bedside music player until you have enough money to finally get a data/voice plan... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.