Rise Of The Tomb Raider for Mac? Any word yet?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by BigBoyBmw760li, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

My god, the new movie trailer with Vikander and the fact that it's on sale right now on Steam is making me bump this thread! Being patient for Mac releases is so challenging. :(

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

FYI, it's $12 on Humble Monthly, and you'll get a bunch of other games next Friday. No Season Pass though.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Sounds like a killer deal and thanks for the heads up....however i'm similar to what someone else previous mentioned earlier in this thread...would prefer it on macOS and try to limit my usage of bootcamp when I can. Also prefer it on the MAS.

4. DevNull0 macrumors 65816

They recommend a GTX 980 Ti. At the current rate of progress of mac hardware, mac's should be able run it sometime around Christmas 2057.

And just in case someone is going to mention the iMac pro and it's Vega 56 GPU, that's not the greatest for gaming to start, and no company is going to do a mac port based on the availability of $5000+ office machines.

5. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Oh please. If you want to run it at max settings they recommend a gtx 980ti. But it runs fine on ps4 level hardware (obviously).

As an example, F1 2017 which feral just released for Mac recommends a gtx 1070 on Windows.

6. DevNull0 macrumors 65816

So you're talking about a market who will spend $2000 and up on hardware to run the game in minimum quality settings for lack of a $400 video card.

I suppose there are people like that, just not enough to justify creating a port. Personally, I have the MBP and the high end windows gaming PC (high end like $1000; the cost of an iPhone X :rolleyes:). And I'd rather not play the games at all than play them on the mac.

7. Icaras, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

To each their own. If we lived in a world where most games available on Windows were also available on macOS, I’d love to finally be rid of my boot camp partition and play solely on the latter.

Also, I don’t play Battlefield 1 on my 2012 iMac on minimal quality so not sure what you’re talking about there.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

People don't buy Macs for gaming, but if it's all you have, it's nice to be able to game on them.

I'd say F1 has a more limited appeal than Tomb Raider, so if Feral thinks there's demand for that game, there should be demand for Tomb Raider. Apple's latest iMacs should be enough to play it at PS4-level settings.

9. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

The 15” MacBook Pro is ahead of the PS4 in gpu performance (and far far ahead in cpu). The iMacs would completely smoke it.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

In specs, probably not so much in performance, due to drivers/OS overhead. Higher resolution too.

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, except the whole point of Metal is to be more of a console-like API ("close to the metal," hence the name). I'm sure there's still less overhead with a console OS, but I doubt there's as much difference as you seem to think.

--Eric

12. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I just want Feral to know that I'll be playing that game on the Mac irrespective of its release data. Just like I purchased TR Underworld when it was released on the MAS years after the PC version. IOW, don't think it's too late to port Rise of the TR (but it'd be nice if it didn't take too long :p).

13. marksatt macrumors regular

There were a lot of subtle changes in Metal for macOS 10.13 that weren't "user-facing" that developers have to deal with, most well-intentioned and to make things better, but it means taking the time to get things right.

Most Macs, at least those with a Core i7, have faster CPUs than the consoles but for the 15" MBP only the GPU options from 2016 and 2017 are in the ballpark on the graphics front.

The Radeon 460 Pro has the same theoretical performance as the regular PS4 GPU, the Radeon 560 Pro is a tiny bit faster. In practice the PS4 GPU will likely be a little bit faster as it isn't subject to power-management like the GPU in the MacBook Pro. The Radeon 450/455/555 Pro's by contrast will all be noticeably slower.

Only laptops with an Nvidia 970M/1060/1070/1080 will be faster - and they are usually only available as the high-end/BTO options or in gaming-laptops. It'd be lovely if we could have a MacBook Pro (maybe a new 17"?) with a similar performance level but I also wonder how well such PC laptop models really sell.

5k iMac GPUs are all faster except the M380 which is noticeably slower vs. regular PS4. Only the Nvidia 780 in 2013 27" iMacs is going to be noticeably faster in the older iMac models, with the 2012 NV 680 was about the same as the PS4 (NV vs. AMD is harder to compare).

As a games developer it would be nice if Apple could sell more 27" iMacs ;)

CPU overheads with Metal are low, I don't think that is really a problem as it was with OpenGL. The big difference now will be shader performance which is typically still better on console due to some combination of exposed hardware features, shader compiler maturity, better profiling tools to help optimise shaders and having a single target to optimise against.

14. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I wonder what code a house like Feral uses as a starting point for porting a game to Metal/GL. For Rise of the TR, they could start with the DX11 version, the DX12, or a console version, or all of them... Or is this even revenant to ask?

15. marksatt macrumors regular

It'll typically be the Windows version as they have all the porting library code for that already. Whether they choose to port the DX11 or DX12 renderer will be determined by the state of the code & porting library - only they know that.

16. imacken macrumors 65816

Obviously, it would be great to have ROTR on Mac, but in all honesty, it will soon be 2 years since it came out on Windows and any TR fan will surely have already played on Bootcamp.
    I am a very loyal Mac gamer, and am happy to wait a reasonable time, but 2 years? I gave up waiting about a year ago. I know it's nobody's fault here - except Metal devs - but.....
    Absolutely superb game!

17. jeanlain macrumors 65816

It's not the first game to be ported long after the original release. Feral have certainly factored the delay in their decision to port the game.

18. imacken macrumors 65816

Of course it's not, but that doesn't alter the point I was making. Feral have done simultaneous releases as well, e.g. the XCOM stuff and recently F1 2017. Incidentally, they have done a great job with F1 2107 in keeping almost up to date with the Windows patches, so well done to them!
    It's not usually as long as 2 years, and we are having a similarly frustrating situation - for users and Feral - with Deus Ex: MK.
    As I said, Feral are certainly not to blame for these delays, but it doesn't help gamers or Feral's income to have these long delays.

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If you think two years is long, you must not have been Mac gaming in the late 90’s/early 00’s. Those were the dark days.

20. imacken macrumors 65816

Yep, we've moved on a lot since then. Thank goodness!