rMBP display very yellow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbasra, Jul 17, 2012.

1. bbasra macrumors member

I'm not looking for any faults but I've just received my RMBP and i'm finding my display is very yellow so i compared it to my old Sony Vaio Z Series and the result is that my Sony Vaio display is significantly whiter and brighter :(

2. Eduardboon macrumors regular

I actually think the screen is a bit reddish, but a good reddish.

I've got a yellow splotch in the downleft corner, but it doesn't bother me all that much. Going to use it as an excuse to get a replacement though

3. bbasra thread starter macrumors member

4. Eduardboon macrumors regular

I'd say your Windows laptop is eerily red. Nothing wrong with your mac's screen.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe its the picture but the MBP doesn't look very yellow and the other one looks a bit reddish.

6. bbasra thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, the pics are really poor. My Sony is not red at all. :confused:

Here two more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. zone23 macrumors 68000

What about the color profile did you check it, maybe it got changed some how. Its in Settings/Display/Color incase you didn't know.

8. bbasra thread starter macrumors member

Its on Colour LCD.

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

My last Vaio Z was also on the red side compared to any normal screen. I'm sure your rMBP is just fine.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I never trust these photos as the wrong settings or even photographing them from an off angle can mess with the way things look. They have to be done to known settings to be a good point of reference. Also it's ideal to do so when the displays have warmed up. All displays shift in color somewhat as they warm up, and it may be more noticeable in a photo than it would be to the viewer, as it's pretty gradual.

How are you setting your white balance on the photos? If you're trying to get a standard display profile to be a neutral starting point, I would set it to 6500k on white balance. Typically display profiles are based around 6500-7000k, so assuming it's hitting that target, an sRGB photo of it would look reasonably neutral. If it's really bad, I would suggest you take it in. Playing with profiles isn't ideal for something where the hardware is really off. Profiles just describe the hardware behavior so the rest of the system can adjust around it.

11. MacBird macrumors 6502

You need a calibration device or try one of the color profiles that some people posted. It won't be ideal but maybe it works for you.

12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

To the OP:

1. I would try to calibrate your display or grab one from the 'net.

2. Camera shots are a difficult to judge because the slightest issue can throw off the color, sharpness, etc...

3. This is MacRumors, people are biased to Apple. Your MBPr display could be spitting blood and rotating wildly while sitting next to the finest display ever handcrafted by the greatest artists and engineers the world over and people here would find fault with the non-Apple product.

-P

13. earnestgeek macrumors newbie

Sorry don't mean to hijack this post, but maybe this can be useful to the OP's concerns while you guys can gimme some thoughts.

Like the op, I just go my Retina MBP today as well and noticed the screen appeared more yellow/warmer then my 2008 non-unibody MBP. (see pic)

Is this considered acceptable or should I get a replacement?

Attached Files:

14. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Is this the same problem of retina Ipad display having a yellow tint

15. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue. I received my 16GB base model on Sunday and noticed it immediately. It's also slightly dimmer compared to my 8GB base model that I bought in launch week.

[​IMG]

Left is my new one, right is my old one.

I'm currently trying to get an exchange from the reseller I bought it from. It's just unacceptable.

16. boto macrumors 6502

boto

That's interesting, you own the same exact computers I do. I have a Sony Vaio Z1390x 1080p and a rMBP 2.6/8/256 and both of your units seem out of contrast. I would suggest exchanging your rMBP for a new unit because that yellow tinting could possibly be due to backlight bleeding. Try take a picture of a solid black background in complete darkness to clarify if you have some bleeding on edges of the display or even in the middle.

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I am happy that my rMBP's screen does not look like that.

18. mac1984user, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

That is quite a significant difference! Personally, I would find the yellow tint and dimness really annoying. I think you're right to try to swap it out for a new one. The 8GB model looks great, however. Now I'm nervous what my screen will be like when the computer arrives in a couple days!

19. Nozuka macrumors 65816

my ipad3 was like that too.. was extremely annoying when switching from my iphone (blue-ish) to the ipad.

dont notice that problem with my MBPr.

20. dazza139 macrumors newbie

Same problem. My mbp retina screen was very yellow compared to thunderbolt display and mid 2009 mbp. Couldnt improve with calibration. Also seemed more yellow in bottom left corner. Spoke to apple and I am in the process of getting a screen replacement. No exchange here in NZ!

21. bbasra thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. I only received mine yesterday like some of you. Maybe a different batch of panels.

My iPad thee also had a yellow tint so I retuned it and bought another. Its now perfect.

I think I'm going return this rmbp. For me, A yellow display is unacceptable and will always now be in the back of my mind. Side by side, My Sony Z clearly has a brighter and whiter display.

22. zebualvi macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. Went to apple store yesterday where a genius compared mine with 4 models on display and told me that changing the screen wouldnt guarantee a better screen next time. Ill try a calibration tool in my uni and see if it makes any difference, if it doesnt then ill have it replaced.

On a side not, my case got a little chip this morning, dont know how. Its all i can see now..:(

23. bbasra thread starter macrumors member

A Yellow screen = A RMPB Exchange or Return ..... Chip disappears! ;)

Mines going back for sure. Build quality wise, mine is perfect and i have OCD! It's a Shame about the screen. I'm not soo sure i'm going to reorder another one. I think i need a 13" Mac Book but want retina.

24. zebualvi macrumors newbie

Apple store wont take it back, they will however replace my screen once only. I tried to calibrate it manually this morning and it made a huge difference so try it first before returning it. Changing gamma values removes the tint, but it also darkens the screen a bit as well.

25. Pivoh macrumors member

Received my retina MBP today, and it has a terrible yellow tint compared to my previous MBP.

I called apple and after a long discussion they would agree to replace my machine, however, they said I would have to send mine in first and THEN they would send out a new one.

Unfair, considering its not my fault this machine is faulty.

Anyone dealt with this before?