Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Shaw. $115/month, with 1TB cap.

I'm on a 25mbps plan - 400GB cap - $50/month including phone and basic cable (don't even have the cable plugged in).

Shaw offers 10Mbps with 125GB cap as a base plan, NOT 25Mbps. Their extreme plan offers 25 Mbps with 250GB cap at 62$/month EXCLUDING TV and phone so quit lying. Their "highest" plan Unlimited Lite, gives Unlimited Gb at 1Mbps for 74.90$!!!!!!

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

bbucy said:
I don't see how Apple's TV set would be any different or require a specific provider.

Thinking it has to be different; otherwise, you are just talking a roku, ATV2..... No big deal, no need to tie to a provider. Thinking it is going to be bigger that that. Article mentions the following which tells me the content is the key.

He notes Apple is in a good position to “leverage” potential partnerships with carriers to gain access to a wide array of content. “We believe it is likely to be offered by AT&T (T-N29.970.020.07%) and Verizon (VZ-N38.140.300.79%) in the U.S. and Bell and Rogers in Canada,” he wrote in a research note on Monday.

People don't understand that apples biggest obstacle here is content access. Given current realities it would be at least 5-10 years before apple was in a position to offer a full array of content. The current cable cos already have the access to the content.

Apple can't break the current content control model just releasing an independent tv. I am sure they have worked hard on it but none of the major media companies are going to go for it for sometime due to existing contracts and other concerns.

This move is great for the cable cos and I am sure some will jump on it. Their biggest fear is an outsider making them Obselete. Apple could change the whole game for them and guarantee them gateway control for 20 more years.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Bell: 4GB/2Mbps base plan
Videotron: 5GB/3Mbps base plan
Rogers: 15GB/3Mbps base plan
Telus: 30GB/1Mbps base plan
Sasktel: unlmtd?/256Kbps base plan

Don't toot your horn with lies. All other ISPS are third parties relying on the above, with exception being that they have UNLIMITED caps (for the most part) but they match speeds on the low end so no, your ISP DOES NOT serve a minimum 125GB with a base speed of 10Mbps.

The offerings depend on the region. Turns out Shaw does offer up to 250mbps. And Bell is rolling out their fibre optics that goes up to 25mbps download/7mbps upload, with 100gb limit. I'm on that plan right now.

Taeser

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think I know how apple "cracked" it. They are going to do to the cable TV Companies what they did to the cell phone industry, and then some. They will become a DVR vendor like motorola. First, they will charge the carriers hundreds in subsidy for the device, but the carriers will sell it on contract to the user, with a certain monthly fee. Right now DVR box costs $10 a month, this will cost at least $20/mo with a two year contract. This is also how they will sell at higher prices. They will move the TV industry more towards the contract/subsidy model, becoming the desired device and boosting the companies subscribers that offer their TV. Doesn't really solve the Balkanization problem, except they could have a DVR / iTunes hybrid. Not their style but everyone has a DVR anyway so is apple really going to end DVRs with iTunes? Not in the near future, so if you can't beat em, join em to beat em at their own game. It would be really nice to get rid of the cable box/ DVR, apple TV, and just have them all in the screen and integrated. And just to make a prediction that will never come true, it will play blu ray. Side load. Imagine that. One tv does it all.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Gestures and voice commands...

...practical on a TV?

I mean you sit at least ten feet away, so how is it done that a certain move, for example, to reach for a drink, doesn't at the same time change the channel?

Anyway, image and sound quality are key for a TV.

Not sure if I should care about the rest.
DOUGLAS ADAMS!

For those of you familiar with the Hitchhikers Guide, there is a bit where they're in their fancy spaceship, and he's talking about listening to the radio. He describes how at first radios had control buttons, then surfaces that detected touch. Eventually radios detected motion without touch, which meant that you had to sit annoyingly still to avoid changing the channel.

Douglas Adams wrote this in the seventies.

Thanks for the reminder!

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

bbucy said:
Thinking back when I had DirecTV and a DirecTV/Tivo set top box. They were very well integrated; very nice features; especially liked the fact that Tivo would record things that it thought you would like based on your ratings of other shows. Then DirecTV killed off the Tivo; big mistake on DirecTV's part. But, what made it great was the "Content" and "Tivo functionality" combined. No other set-top and/or TV has that integration.

Update: Just did a search for that old DirecTV/Tivo box. Looks like they brought it back. Maybe that got wind of the AppleTV and decided the partnership wasn't a bad deal after all.

The directv DVr is much better than the old combo box. The repartnering is something in the works for years

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
Oh please! What illusion of competition do you believe??? Telus vs Rogers in the west = duopoly. Rogers vs Shaw in ontario = Duopoly. Bell vs Videotron in Quebec = duopoly. Bell vs Bell Aliant in Atlantic Canada = Monopoly.

THERE IS NO COMPETITION.

How is there no competition when all 2 of the 3 cable providers are available in my area? if we count satellite I have 4 options.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Talking to your tv, waving your hands and arms to control it.... I can imagine the chaos when their is an argument going on about what to watch. It will be changing channels, surfing the net, streaming etc all at the same time. Much better than a remote.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think I know how apple "cracked" it. They are going to do to the cable TV Companies what they did to the cell phone industry, and then some. They will become a DVR vendor like motorola. First, they will charge the carriers hundreds in subsidy for the device, but the carriers will sell it on contract to the user, with a certain monthly fee. Right now DVR box costs $10 a month, this will cost at least $20/mo with a two year contract. This is also how they will sell at higher prices. They will move the TV industry more towards the contract/subsidy model, becoming the desired device and boosting the companies subscribers that offer their TV. Doesn't really solve the Balkanization problem, except they could have a DVR / iTunes hybrid. Not their style but everyone has a DVR anyway so is apple really going to end DVRs with iTunes? Not in the near future, so if you can't beat em, join em to beat em at their own game. It would be really nice to get rid of the cable box/ DVR, apple TV, and just have them all in the screen and integrated. And just to make a prediction that will never come true, it will play blu ray. Side load. Imagine that. One tv does it all.

You are definitely on to something. Your theory makes the most sense so far.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So siri is barely functioning outside of the US on iPhone, and very much still in Beta, and yet she's magically now on a TV set inside a canadian network company...... Yeah right.... I'm calling shenanigans on this article.

Talking to your tv, waving your hands and arms to control it.... I can imagine the chaos when their is an argument going on about what to watch. It will be changing channels, surfing the net, streaming etc all at the same time. Much better than a remote.

Think of the poor suckers watching PRON ;-) Hands waving about, speaking to their TV... Siri interjecting half way through.... "Sorry viewer. I don't understand "yeah that's the stuff, do it baby". Did you mean "Turn to Letterman?".........

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
You have no clue what you're talking about - none whatsoever.

http://www.shaw.ca/Internet/

250mps, 1TB cap, $115.

Shaw.PNG

Will you knock it off now?

----------

The offerings depend on the region. Turns out Shaw does offer up to 250mbps. And Bell is rolling out their fibre optics that goes up to 25mbps download/7mbps upload, with 100gb limit. I'm on that plan right now.

Never said they didn't. All I said is it clearly ISN'T the base plan and it certainly IS NOT 50$ including phone and TV.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
And what about Cable providers in the US. I mean Apple is based in California so why wouldn't they work first with a cable provider here?

Honestly, the rumor coming from a Canadian cableco makes more sense. Cablecos hate AppleTV/Netflix/Hulu, because they are direct competitors to their own VOD services and all ways people can get entertainment content that bypasses Cablecos as the content provider. They just become "dumb pipe" ISPs at that point, a position they don't want to be in at all compared to charging people per program with the price varying based on what it is.

I'd expect the opposition to be fiercest in the U.S., where you can't even legally buy (outright) a digital cable converter.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
How is there no competition when all 2 of the 3 cable providers are available in my area? if we count satellite I have 4 options.

You are in the WAY minority. For most people there is ONE cable company, and satellite... and that's assuming there's no technical reasons one of the two can't be used.

There's a reason people have been getting excited about U-Verse and other IPTV services.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Next week, SameSung and Sony will reveal that they are implementing motion control as well as voice!

That's how it usually is isn't it? Apple might not invent the technology but they are always the first to use it properly then everyone copies quickly with the cheapo versions lol.

Apple say they are doing voice with TV so now sony and samsung have put out their version with voice but Apple didn't leak all the details and now sony and samsung are behind rofl

hbt15

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
Is it just me or is controlling a SIRI enabled TV ridiculous? Say i'm watching a movie at a decent volume but i want to mute it for a phone call or to yell at the kids or something? Do i have to yell MUTE as loud as i can so TV picks it up over the movie? Or i'm watching a basketball game at reasonable high volume but want to flick channels in the ads so have to yell them at top of my voice? Or even with hand gestures, one to bring up on screen menu, another to select volume then another to move the volume?

Sounds like a fad to me. Can't see how it can sensibly work for normal people.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is going to come down to pricing. Unless the unit is feature packed OR competitively priced, I just can't see it selling in volume. Today you can pick up a large screen high quality TV for as little as £600.00 Having a partner or partners would make sense though, especially if discounting is going to be applied.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Is it just me or is controlling a SIRI enabled TV ridiculous? Say i'm watching a movie at a decent volume but i want to mute it for a phone call or to yell at the kids or something? Do i have to yell MUTE as loud as i can so TV picks it up over the movie? Or i'm watching a basketball game at reasonable high volume but want to flick channels in the ads so have to yell them at top of my voice? Or even with hand gestures, one to bring up on screen menu, another to select volume then another to move the volume?

Sounds like a fad to me. Can't see how it can sensibly work for normal people.

I'm the same. I've zero interest in any aspect of this story. Besides messing about with them initially after purchasing, I've never used Siri, Google Voice or Kinects voice control features. And for those who say this will be a more elegant implementation I'll counter with the old remote control which I find hard to imagine this new "solution" will surpass. I also want my TV to be as dumb as possible, the current system of plugging in a brain such as the current Apple TV makes much more sense.

shabbasuraj

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2004
These 2 companies got played. This was just a fake project to detect potential leaks at these 2 companies. They both fell into the apple secrecy trap test. These companies just failed.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.1;FBBV/4100.0;FBDV/iPhone3,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/2; FBCR/Three;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/2.0])

This all makes a lot of sense. Of course Apple will partner with cable providers. As much as cord cutters don't want to admit it, there are too many benefits of cable for regular users. Cable news, live sports, tv shows (when they air). Tons of high quality, high resolution content. The $1500 price point for the tv sounds about right. I'd expect that it might even be a little higher. I really hope this happens. I'm looking forward to FaceTime and apps, my usual cable channels and everything else.

Apple isn't going to revolutionize where people get their content or disintermediate cable companies. They're going to change the television itself and considering the cord cutting options, I'm glad the cable providers are being included.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008

so reinvent Tivo basically?

As for siri, presumably it won't be directly replacing remote control commands. You won't be saying 'Siri, switch to channel 205'. You'll be saying 'Siri, switch to CBS', or 'Siri, record House for me' and it'll do the rest.

plus all the current iphone stuff that can be overlaid - 'siri, whats the weather forecast for tomorrow?' - could bring up the weather channel in a small window, along with a web page showing the weather forecast for your area.

Still not convinced thats a big reason to buy a whole new TV, but maybe they can pull off what Google TV failed, and properly integrate internet and TV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.