Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Rogers Canada Offers 6GB Data Plan for $30/Month

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Rogers issued a press release today announcing a last minute special promotional offer for the iPhone 3G.
Effective July 11, and as a limited time promotional offer for customers who activate by August 31 on a three year contract, a data-only offering of 6GB of data for $30 per month is being made available that can be added to any in-market voice plan. For example, with 6GB of data, iPhone 3G users can visit 35,952 web pages, or send and receive 157,286 emails, or watch 6,292 minutes of YouTube videos each and every month.
The rate plan appears to be in response to the overwhelming consumer outrage at the original iPhone plans announced two weeks ago. Initially, data plans for the iPhone topped out at 2GB for the highest $115/month which also came with 800 voice minutes + unlimited voice nights/weekends.

Article Link

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Finally!

Straight from the horse's mouth.

I'd like to see somebody go over 6 GB data on an iPhone (without tethering, of course).

Lesson learned: stand up for what you believe in!

Now, anybody know what the best deal is for a voice plan (new customer)?

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
wow, I was just speaking with the Retention dept. and threatened to cancel. They had no problems in doing it unlike in the past. They were given ZERO flexibility (their words) by the higher ups.

6GB plus a voice plan is what I want. Good to see the power of the people at work.

Comment

JRunMedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
This is awesome news I was planning on getting one on the 11th already but this makes it that much sweeter.

Comment

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause .... and he dons blue-jeans with a black mock turtleneck...

Comment

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
"Customers attending launch day events at these Rogers Plus stores will be treated to a free early bird breakfast...."

Hey! Totally unfair... AT&T isn't offering us free breakfasts. Someone start a petition please. :p

This is good news for Canadians although 3 years is still an awfully long time. Good job to whoever started the petition and all of those who signed it.

Isn't it more than what AT&T offers? I thought AT&T capped unlimited at 5GB, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Time to get the tent and lawn chair out of the closet. I'm moving to the corner of Yonge & Dundas (Toronto) tonight.

Comment

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
No iPhones though!

Yeah but now Apple has diverted all of Canada's iPhones elsewhere. It'll probably take until August 31rst just to get an iPhone.:p

Comment

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I betcha you could still burn through 6GB in a month without tethering, which you can't do with an iPhone anyways.

How about everytime someone uses Google Maps or Stock Ticker or Weather and it constantly refreshes itself whenever you tap it?

Just wait til MobileMe users can't upload to their web gallery because of the limit.

It's going to happen and I think it's going to happen sooner than later.

PS: Just did the math and the 35,952 web pages works out to roughly a 167k website. When's the last time you saw those???

Comment

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
It's a good step, but I wonder if Rogers would offer 3GB of data for $15? I don't think I'm ever going to use all 6GB, and doubling the cost of my current contract isn't too appealing. Oh well at least there's been something offered.

Comment

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
You know... I'm not Canadian, but I really did feel for you guys and these horrible deals. This deal is far from perfect, but I am happy that the online petitioning and outrage actually worked out. Congrats!!!:)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.